PDA

View Full Version : Ailments

BarryBobPosthole
03-22-2013, 01:23 PM
My dang gout has flared up on me and for the life of me I can't figure out why. I had gone a couple years without an attack and about three weeks ago it hit me hard in my ankle, felt like I'd sprung the damned thing. I tried eliminating this and that (I'd had some grilled asparagus and thought it might be that) and finally eliminated the G2 gatoraide and it went away. Go figure. Now today its back, not as bad as before, but in my heel. Dang I hate this stuff. Sure wish I could figure out what I'm doing wrong. I live like a dang monk most times nowadays.

BKB

quercus alba
03-22-2013, 01:26 PM
bean sprounts, tofu, liver, gizzards, fish, sardines, dried beans all contribute to gout. Moderation posthole, moderation

BarryBobPosthole
03-22-2013, 01:29 PM
I don't eat any of that stuff very often. I am very suspicious of fructose as being the root of it. I normally eat apples and oranges every day but the past few weeks the bosc pears have been at the store and I've been eating those little fructose bombs every single day. Man they are good. I suspect that was what I was getting in the gatorade too, although the G2 is supposed to be a lot lower in fructose. Its a process of elimination I guess, no pun intended, as I don't seem to eliminate purines very well.
BKB

quercus alba
03-22-2013, 01:31 PM
you sure? I kinda had you figured for a tofu guy...

BarryBobPosthole
03-22-2013, 01:32 PM
Hahaha, no tofu for this guy. I did try a taro burger once when I was in Hawaii. Worse dang stuff I ever known humans to eat. They love it there. Another of Eddie's blue foods.

BKB

Sunshine
03-22-2013, 02:04 PM
Diet & Uric Acid
You may hear suggestions that eating or avoiding certain foods is the "key" to managing gout. But changing your diet alone is not typically enough to get rid of the uric acid buildup in the body.
In fact, even the strictest low-purine diet has been shown to reduce uric acid levels by only about 1 mg/dL. Gout: the Diet Myth The mistaken belief that diet "causes" gout has been around for centuries.
You may have heard gout being described as the "Disease of Kings." This is because kings were thought of as having rich diets, and centuries ago it was believed that gout was caused by what you ate.
However, today we know that this just is not true. Now we know it has a lot more to do with how your body handles uric acid, the underlying cause of gout, than the kinds of foods you eat.
In some people (10%), uric acid builds up in the blood because their body produces too much of it.
In the rest (90%), the kidneys don't eliminate uric acid efficiently, causing it to build up. In reality, although certain foods may trigger a gout attack, they aren't the cause of gout. Gout's true cause is high uric acid in the blood.
In order to reduce your risk of gout flares over the long term, you'll need to take steps to decrease your uric acid level and keep it low.
Reducing uric acid levels to less than 6 mg/dL is the goal for managing gout over the long term. Learn more about long term management of gout.
The Role of High-Purine Foods The uric acid in your blood comes from purines, substances that are produced by your body and also found in many foods.
Most of your uric acid (2/3) is produced naturally by your body, while the rest (1/3) comes from your diet.
There's no denying that important steps like drinking plenty of nonalcoholic beverages (lots of water, less alcohol), exercising, maintaining a healthy weight, and limiting high-purine foods are smart choices for people with gout.
Eliminating high-purine foods from your diet may help lower your uric acid level.
However, in most cases just changing your diet alone may not be enough to control your high uric acid. Learn more about healthy food choices and lifestyle changes.

http://www.gout.com/

BarryBobPosthole
03-22-2013, 02:32 PM
Yep, so far I've been able to control mine pretty effectively without any meds. The meds they give you for gout give you the shits something terrible, and an upset stomach to. Usually I can find the culprit and just eliminate it and its no problem.

BKB

Buckrub
03-22-2013, 02:44 PM
Well, I'll be!

One I don't have!!! Amazing.

Good luck with it........sounds painful.

Niner
03-22-2013, 03:14 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allopurinol

Your welcome.

Been taking it daily for years.

Thumper
03-22-2013, 03:16 PM
I thought only OLD people had gout!

Buckrub
03-22-2013, 03:17 PM
You're prolly right.