PDA

View Full Version : What exactly is illegal about owning 300 guns?

Buckrub
03-22-2013, 04:24 PM
http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/03/21/17403948-300-gun-arsenal-seized-from-long-island-ny-home?lite=

BarryBobPosthole
03-22-2013, 04:43 PM
Nothing in itself. but the article says several of the weapons were illegal.
BKB

Buckrub
03-22-2013, 04:53 PM
I know it said that.

What made them so?

And what about the rest??? ALL were confiscated.

BarryBobPosthole
03-22-2013, 04:56 PM
HeckifIknow. Ask them. I thought all us responsible gun owners kept asking for the current laws to be enforced and we wouldn't need any more regulations. Then when they do that, you raise a dang stink.

They're either illegal or they're not. Do the crime, do the time.
BKB

Buckrub
03-22-2013, 04:59 PM
I just asked WHICH of these 'existing regulations' that they are breaking. This is the only info I have, what the Fifth estate provides me. And it is insufficient. As it is written, it seems to me that a huge operation was done to 'seize' a ton of guns......and that alone was sufficient to cause this action. I just read what's written.

I do NOT think this is a case of enforcing current laws correctly. If it was, I'd agree with you.

BarryBobPosthole
03-22-2013, 05:02 PM
I honestly can't tell from this article. I don't know if they're illegal because he has to have a current FFL to own them or if they're illegal because of what type weapon they are. It just doesn't say. Bustin ghim that hard for just an expired FFL seems kind of like overkill. But he's been under investigation for a long time it says. Must be something they haven't released yet.
BKB

LJ3
03-22-2013, 05:33 PM
How many rounds are in an oodle?

BarryBobPosthole
03-22-2013, 05:37 PM
I think there's four buttloads in an oodle.

BKB

Niner
03-22-2013, 06:10 PM
I think the illegalness is that he lives in wonderful New York. He prolly needed a permit from his government in order to posess them there gus.

Buckrub
03-22-2013, 07:03 PM
“The guns were stored all throughout the house,” Suffolk County District Attorney Thomas Spota told NBC New York. “He had more firepower than the detectives who arrested him.”

“Plain and simple — he should not have had these guns and the manner in which he stored these weapons is shocking,” Spota told the Post.

From the NY Post:
A gun nut who stockpiled more than 300 illegal firearms at his Long Island home also had rare devices that turn semiautomatic rifles into fully automatic machine guns, officials said yesterday.

Amateur gunsmith Jay Steiner, 66, was arrested in January after allegedly turning his Centereach house — across the street from a high school — into an illicit armory.

Many of the weapons were allegedly strewn around his home.

Officials said they found five locked and loaded guns in a dresser drawer, a shotgun hanging above a closet and a .38-caliber revolver in the kitchen.

And here's the real answer.........someone made $500 for turning him in:

As part of a sting, an undercover cop asked Steiner to fix a revolver and the suspect allegedly obliged.

Niner
03-22-2013, 08:09 PM
Shades of Ruby Ridge........

Buckrub
03-23-2013, 02:52 PM
Wonder how many violent crimes THIS guy ever committed? Surely he's committed 300, right?

LW
03-23-2013, 04:50 PM
What a load of crap. This is pure propaganda. This will get somebody an increase in budget or some grant money. They need to arrest me too. I doubt that guy could carry all those guns at once if he went on a killing spree. I couldnt carry all of my guns either. Neither could most of us in this group. 300 guns just arent that much more dangerous than one poorly placed gun. They need to get back to picking on video games and facebook. The guy just likes his guns probably. I would own 300 of them if I could. I like to look at them. Does that make me a gun nut? If so, then everyone that has ever visited a gun museum needs to be locked up. Because they must be unstable.

Buckrub
03-23-2013, 05:00 PM
Not a gun nut.

A DERANGED gun nut!

The uproar is coming.........this is without question the 'mildest' web site that I visit!!! I'll just say this........MANY of the Natives are quite restless.

LW
03-23-2013, 05:30 PM
I hear ya bucky, the problem is that us deranged gun nuts are law abiding. Our lawmakers should realize that based on the fact that they are not filled with lead. I often wonder what will happen to cause the formation of militias or widespread radical groups that will defend their 2nd amendment rights.

Buckrub
03-23-2013, 05:33 PM
already happening

LW
03-23-2013, 05:37 PM
Specifics? I'm curious. I dont keep up with it.

Buckrub
03-23-2013, 05:43 PM
Me either. Some guy gave me this link. It just proves they are already out there.......

http://www.arkansasdefenseforce.org/rules.htm

and when you are sitting around picking your nose, try this one:

http://www.guidestones.us/

LW
03-23-2013, 06:15 PM
It makes me think of a situation a few months ago that came up. I received an email from a man that wanted me to come teach his group about survival medical techniques. After questionig him, what he wanted was for me to teach his isolationist group/ preppers for lack of a better term, how to peform medical procedures that are well beyond the scope of first aid. Chest tubes, antibiotic therapy, IV therapy etc. He told me to look at their website. Basically looked like a bunch of okie crackpots. I declined. Sounded like a good way to end up on a list.

hotshot
03-24-2013, 09:27 PM
Granted the article is vague as intended... just enough info to make a person think the guy was really baaaaadddd.
It did say he did not have a license for the handguns that were there...... I know Indiana has a handgun law. Inorder to carry, ya gotta have a permit. In your own house you are allowed to have a handgun- but it must not leave the premisis. NY has gotta be more restrictive than that. I bet the arrest had mainly to do with the handguns, and since he was in violation of that law.... all guns were gathered up.
Pat, remember the guy in Angola years ago that has a gangrene leg, that barricaded himself in his house? He had about 300 guns if I remember. Didn't Rich have to spend a whole day cataloging the evidnece? For the rest of ya- a guy went a little "off", and lived in a very run down house- supposedly even the toilet was broken, so he kept a bucket for his necessities..... he also refused to go to a doctor- which explained the infected leg. Not sure what led to him being surrounded, but he was well armed... this was several years ago.

BarryBobPosthole
03-24-2013, 09:31 PM
I guess waiting for facts is out of the question. The sky is falling!
BKB

DeputyDog
03-25-2013, 05:41 AM
The problem is that the story was put out as is, but the rest of the story, including the "facts" won't be.

Niner
03-25-2013, 10:44 AM
Well....after extensively searching the web....I found the news film of the incident...

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/nsdZKCh6RsU?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Thumper
03-25-2013, 10:58 AM
I'm pretty much aligned with P-hole here. This guy obviously caused some red flags to pop up somewhere along the line. Who knows what it was? 'Course, if he'd started shooting up that schoolyard, we'd be screaming at the top of our lungs, "Why didn't somebody notice (insert here what "they" should have noticed)."

I guess I'll have to roll with P-hole AND Deppity actually ... we may never know what those flags were.

BarryBobPosthole
03-25-2013, 11:04 AM
Well, I learned this one from Captain. Its just as easy to obey the law as it is to break it. He decided to break it. If you know the rules and intentionally break them, then there's no room to complain when you get caught. Its as simple as that. I don't see any persecution of gun owners here. I know if I owned 300 guns, I dang sure make sure I was within the law.
BKB

Thumper
03-25-2013, 11:15 AM
My old h/s buddy and college roommate probably has 500-600 guns. His dad was an avid collector and a great gunsmith when we were in school. When his dad died, all the guns went to my buddy and he's also an avid collector. He's been adding to that already huge collection all his life. He's retired now and STILL buys/trades guns. Odd the Feds haven't kicked his door down.

Buckrub
03-25-2013, 11:24 AM
SO............there are no specific laws being reported broken, but a "deranged gun nut" is arrested for having too many guns. Not one word about what laws he broke. None. But two of you are absolutely sure he broke some and state emphatically that he did, and that he 'got what was coming to him'.

Do I have this correct?

BarryBobPosthole
03-25-2013, 11:29 AM
No it isn't. the article states that he did not have permits for the handguns he owned which is the law in that state.
BKB

Buckrub
03-25-2013, 11:31 AM
Just read the article again and don't see where it said that. I guess I must be missing it.

LW
03-25-2013, 11:40 AM
The last line of the article Bucky.

Buckrub
03-25-2013, 11:42 AM
I don't have any pistol license for any of mine, either.

Do you?

Thumper
03-25-2013, 11:53 AM
Ummm, I think P-hole simply said, "I guess waiting for facts is out of the question."

I agreed with him.

That's a far cry from "the two of you are absolutely sure he broke some (law) and state emphatically that he did, and that he 'got what was coming to him'."

Are you stating emphatically that he did not? How do YOU know?
But, if you want to nit-pic ... yes, he WAS breaking the law.

Thumper
03-25-2013, 11:56 AM
I don't have any pistol license for any of mine, either.

Do you?

Do you live in New York?

Buckrub
03-25-2013, 12:01 PM
Well ok.

But Posthole's post #30 says that he broke a law.

Your post above seems to say that you are merely agreeing to wait on the facts, and not that you agree he broke a law (which is what I said that you said). However, you then go ahead and disagree with yourself and say "Yep, I do agree he broke the law".

But neither of you have stated what law he broke, and I continue to clearly read that both of you are very sure he broke a law. I am not making this up.

Maybe he did break a law. I am not saying he did not. I am saying that when I stumbled upon this article that it shocked me that a man would be arrested in the USA for owning that which is Constitutionally allowed to be owned. He wasn't using a gun in a crime. He just sat at home and owned guns. They got a warrant and went in........and the article very clearly insinuates that the reason that they did so was that he owned a lot of guns.

I find that troubling, whether he broke some technicality of a state application process or not. I find it more troubling that no one else seems to find it troubling.

The guy is probably a jerk. It sounds like he has a history of skirting this or that law. But, the ARTICLE simply implies he was arrested for some legal permit issue........and that they confiscated ALL his guns, not just the ones that failed some 'permit test'.

Oh well. I realize I'm the resident idiot here. I have no idea why I view these things as I do. Probably just deranged.

Thumper
03-25-2013, 12:13 PM
Well, number one ... he was running a gunsmithing business without a license. He had business cards with an expired license number on them. He had no permits for the handguns he had which made them illegal. He was doing gunsmithing work and they found parts to convert AR15's to fully automatic. What do you think he was doing with those? He was turned in by a LEGAL gun owner who was concerned with what he saw in the house. What else do you want?

Buckrub
03-25-2013, 12:23 PM
To sell New York back to the Indians...

Thumper
03-25-2013, 12:25 PM
Bucky quote:

He just sat at home and owned guns.

Buckster, you're wearing blinders and reading only what you want to see. He was running an unlicensed gunsmithing business from his home. His business has now been shut down.

I wasn't allowed to (legally) run a frigging pressure washing business without being licensed.

You're trying to sugar-coat this thing.

Buckrub
03-25-2013, 12:25 PM
*snort*

Here's a guy from an Arkansas hunting site that just posted something kin to all this...........

People at the gun snitch hotline in NY think we're dumb redneck....

If you call 1-855-GUN-SNYS, you can report your neighbors in NY that have illegal firearms and receive a $500 reward....

I called to tell them all my neighbors have AR's and high-cap magazine-clips and shoulder things that go up and he proceeded to inform me how Arkansas has the lowest education of anywhere in US, and how we're nothing but inbred hicks.

Even if he's right, it hurt me lil feelins .

Anyway if you need to kill some time and have a laugh, tell em I said hi

Thumper
03-25-2013, 12:26 PM
To sell New York back to the Indians...

Ok, now THAT I may agree with you on. ;)

BarryBobPosthole
03-25-2013, 12:31 PM
I'll bet they'd give $32 worth of trinkets for it, easily!

Bucky, I understand what you're trying to see in this whole deal. I'm sorry but I just don't see anyone persecuting a poor innocent gun owner or signs that the government is out to take all of our guns, at least from this instance. I think law enforcement did their homework on this one. I don't know if this guy is a good guy or a bad guy. I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens now.

On the whole, I'm with you, the second amendment is under attack. But this isn't an example of it, IMO.

BKB

Buckrub
03-25-2013, 12:42 PM
I get what you're saying. Maybe my thoughts are misplaced here. But all I really tried to say was......when I opened this article, it just hit me that the REASON the guy got arrested was that he had too many guns. Several 'news' articles related to it said he was "a deranged gun nut". That to me, is enough proof of what's going on around me, but maybe I'm paranoid as well as deranged. I have too many guns. I know people with 10X as many. Neither of us are criminals. I don't like the connotation or the association with that.

And $32 would be too much. Worth much less. NY and California have no useful import to the USA that I can see..........

hotshot
03-25-2013, 12:49 PM
My guess... and only a guess since I do not know N guns laws...He had handguns without licensing. He ran a gun business without renewing his license,and apparently swapping out semi auto for auto parts.... Tha is a no-no all over without license fees for owner and gun smith.
Would he go on a shoot fest? Doubt it, but I bet somebody in the neighborhood gets a new flat screen.

BarryBobPosthole
03-25-2013, 12:51 PM
You'd be amazed at how differently people look at things in different parts of the country. Just ask Hombre about how they view guns in Seattle.

I would imagine in some places even the number of guns I have in my safe and scattered around the house would classify me as a gun nut. And almost all of mine are long guns.

Its kind of like those western road hunters in Montana!

BKB