PDA

View Full Version : Crick Fishin, second installment

hotshot
03-24-2013, 04:54 PM
had an urge to do some writing today....
Here is the rough draft.

One summer, a tree that grew at the base of the ridge gave in to the strain on its roots and fell across the crick. A large beech tree, it made for the perfect fishing platform for farm boys.
The process began with worm digging in the rhubarb patch. A green bean can served as a worm pail. My cousin and I would then gather some crickets under boards stacked near the barn. These went into a Tang jar whose lid had been perforated by a nail and hammer found in the tractor shop. A final selection to entice the finned inhabitants required a short stop in the riffles above our fishin’ hole. A few crawdads were gathered and stuffed in with the worms.
Shimmying out onto the tree trunk required skill, patience, balance, and luck.
The process involved a push up with arms, followed by a scoot of the back side, followed by a push of the fishing rod and bait can. Once a few feet of distance were won, the process began again. The process seemed to take eternity. Adding to the task was the excitement that we never mentioned the fallen beech to our parents. So the thrill of our new-found skills was heightened that much more.
A balancing act was required to pivot to fishing position. A left leg raised high with the flexibility of a pre-teen and a tight twist that any Olympic hopeful from Belarus would be proud of accomplished the task. Once sitting, we could pick a worm or cricket to get the fish interested in feeding. We never knew if we’d hook a bluegill, long-eared sunfish, the occasional catfish, or a huge chub minnow. We always hoped for, but never expected a bass. Many a large chub minnow was mistaken for a bass as it was reeled to us. The small jump, the roll, the torpedo shape all said largemouth. That is until the fish was raised from the water. Where a black stripe was expected, too often a rainbow of pinks and blues was seen. Instead of whoops and hollers, a chorus of, “oh’s” and “Dang-its” would be heard.
If we could see a bass cruising to investigate the chaos we had created, out would come a crawdad. A twist of the tail and a quick peel of the shell would make for an easy meal. The trick was to cast the meaty morsel close enough to the Bass so it could eat it before a bluegill could attack. To add to the challenge, if the cast was too close, the bass would turn in fear and not be seen for the rest of the afternoon.
A bobber would float a bait downstream with finesse but gave the fish a hint that a feel meal was not all that it suggested. A spilt shot and no bobber offered a clandestine delivery but suffered in distance. We would constantly switch back and forth with our offerings to see what would work best. That is until my brother’s bobber dropped from his back pocket and into the crick. He quickly flopped over onto his stomach, and reached for it with his pole tip.
An intricate dance began. The float led, the fishing pole followed. A spin to the left allowed the bobber to get farther away. In a last chance effort to rescue a 17cent bobber which held tremendous more value to us, Todd stretched out. We held his legs as he reached for the 3 inch piece of balsa wood. Then, the fishing trip ended suddenly.
Memory does not serve me well when estimating the distance he fell. By all recollection, the fall was at least 5 feet and ended in a resounding splash. He stood, reached down for his fishing pole; half waded half swam to his bobber, and waded to the bank. The red Southern Indiana Clay that formed the confines of the crick became slightly muddy as Todd climbed over rock and root. His shoes squished and squeaked as he walked, cried, and yelled at us to stop laughing. A few mud clods were thrown, and then the walk back to Grandma and Grandpa’s house to announce yet again, “Todd fell in”.
Our next trip to Grandpa’s found the fallen tree replaced by open air and a pile of saw dust. I blame my Grandpa. Not in an accusative, angry way, but in a manner of acceptance and knowing that nothing is permanent even in a child’s world.
If only life could always be as simple as crick fishin: Fish eager to please, a little adventure thrown in, and a good laugh. And there is a place where a 17 cent bobber is all that matters in the world.

Captain
03-24-2013, 08:22 PM
Pretty cool... I did the same stuff as a kid. My Grandaddy had a milk farm and one or two shovels of "dirt" would give you enough worms to fish with for a week!
Great times.
Thanks for sharing
Take Care, Captain

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

hotshot
03-24-2013, 08:43 PM
My grampa's farm was also a dairy farm. He milked 70 Jerseys every day. When my dad was a kid, they made their own butter. My Grampa would leave every Friday to go over the River to Louisville on his butter route. My parents still have the butter press.

Sunshine
03-24-2013, 10:29 PM
My husbands wife's family has Brown Swiss cows.

hotshot
03-25-2013, 12:22 PM
Brown Swiss are great cows. My favs are Jersy, Guernsey, and BSwiss... Holsteins are not as attractive a cow, but produce large amounts of watery milk.

Thumper
03-25-2013, 12:29 PM
Hotshot:

Holsteins are not as attractive a cow

I'm startin' to really worry about you boy! :eek:

hotshot
03-25-2013, 12:54 PM
See I knew that was coming...It ain't a hubba=hubba thing, just an aesthetic thing... but you knew that.
Besides, anyone who would wear a pink leisure suit..... I can take some ribbing from him!

Did I just Hijack my onw thread?

BarryBobPosthole
03-25-2013, 01:15 PM
Speaking of crick fishing, I'm on a search for a couple of good old cane poles. I'm thinking this grandson is going to get broke in on fishing next year with a genuine cane pole and a bobber. Now I just have to find some place that's got 'em.

BKB

Thumper
03-25-2013, 01:44 PM
I have a coupl'a 12-footers hangin' on the wall of my garage. They have brass fittings to screw together, so they break down into three, 4-foot sections. I bought them in 1977 when I was dirt poor and the wife and I would go down to the lake every afternoon to catch enough bream for supper! Heck, we couldn't afford fishing licenses ... bank fishing with cane poles was free!

hotshot
03-25-2013, 02:16 PM
As a young 'un, my family would vacation at a lake every summer for a week or two.
There was an old guy who lived there who specialized in pike fishin'. He'd spend the morning catching bait: panfish.
He would then row around the lake with two long cane poles out the back of the boat. When a big pick would hit, he would set the hook and then throw teh pole in teh water. He would then follow the pole around the lake until the pike was tired. He was my idol... He would nail the heads ofthe big bass and pike he caught to a tree. Each fish head had two nails- one in each gill plate.

LJ3
03-25-2013, 02:37 PM
Speaking of crick fishing, I'm on a search for a couple of good old cane poles. I'm thinking this grandson is going to get broke in on fishing next year with a genuine cane pole and a bobber. Now I just have to find some place that's got 'em.

BKB

Bring your rod holder with you next time you come out here. I'll take you where you can cut your won bamboo for the boy and build it together.

Buckrub
03-25-2013, 02:38 PM
I got bamboo on the farm...........and there's some beside the big Telecom terminal block outbuilding on Exit 125!!! Just pull over and start cutting.

Captain
03-25-2013, 08:17 PM
I got a Bamboo break on the farm here too. But they might look at you funny when you try to take them on the plane.
There is some here big enough to make a tea picture out of.
Take Care, Captain

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

BarryBobPosthole
03-25-2013, 09:24 PM
Mallard has a big stand of African bamboo at place. Maybe I'll see if he has any. That stuff branches a lot though so I don't know if it'll make good poles. Makes good duck blind material though!
BKB

Buckrub
03-25-2013, 09:24 PM
Or crappie condos.