PDA

View Full Version : Politicians

DeputyDog
03-25-2013, 01:36 PM
I had some free time the other day, so I sent emails to my Senators, Congressman, Governor, State Senator, and State Representative about the gun laws that are working their way through the various houses both Federally and in the state.

I got this response from my Governor:

Thank you for contacting me to express your support for gun rights. It was a pleasure to hear from you.

We are in agreement that Congress and State law should support the constitutional right of law-abiding citizens to keep and bear arms. On June 26, 2008, our nation was presented with a significant legal victory when the Supreme Court upheld what I believe was the true intent of our founding fathers by ruling in Heller v District of Columbia that the Second Amendment confers an individual right to handgun ownership for purposes of self-defense.

In many ways, excessive gun control is as illogical as it is unconstitutional. Too much gun control can leave law-abiding citizens defenseless while doing very little to keep firearms out of the hands of criminals. After all, people who are not deterred by laws against murder will not be deterred by laws that say you cannot have a gun.

Under the belief that firearms in the hands of law-abiding citizens result in less, not more, crime, I will continue working to protect your constitutional right to gun ownership. I appreciate your input into this important matter and will keep your views in mind the next time that I am presented with legislation involving the rights of gun owners.

Again, thank you for contacting me. It is an honor to serve as Governor and have the benefit of your advice. If you would like more information on this or any other issue, please visit my website at www.in.gov/gov .

Sincerely,

Mike Pence

Thumper
03-25-2013, 01:57 PM
A few years back, I got bored and wanted to do something crazy, so I flew to Russia for a couple of weeks. I met a dude there and we became good friends over the years. A few years after my trip, he came to the States for a visit and I took him to a large gun store in town. His eyes were as big as saucers and I think he was actually drooling over all the guns on display. He was an avid "gun lover" ... but could only dream in his country. I remember him saying something to me that reminds me of the well known bumper sticker we have here; If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns

As we were in the gun store he told me that in Russia, only the government, the police and the criminals have guns.

DeputyDog
03-25-2013, 03:15 PM
The part that caught my attention and showed me he has a little common sense, is where is said that if you were not deterred by laws against murder, you would not be deterred by laws that say you can't have a gun.

BarryBobPosthole
03-25-2013, 03:15 PM
Thumper did you see the 60 Minutes segment on Pussy Riot last night? Its disgusting what Putin and their government are doing to the people in that country.

DD, good job! and I love that response from your governor. I've been meaning to do the same thing to all of my reps and senators but just haven't found the time to pen the letter. Whenever I start, it ends up as a letter of termination every time though!
BKB

DeputyDog
03-25-2013, 03:35 PM
Here is the response I got from my State Senator:

As Americans, we are all saddened by the irresponsible behavior of irrational individuals who kill and injure people such as the case in Newton, Connecticut. While we deplore the acts of the select few, who would destroy children and innocent people, taking away every American's right to defend themselves will not end the violence nor reach the result which social activists seek to attain. We have to address the manner in which individuals with severe mental health problems obtained weapons, as well as the atmosphere of violence which permeates our television, movies, music, video games, and other media--deadening the innate human revulsion to such violence. We need to address many issues, such as the frustration and hopelessness of a person who would destroy others and ultimately themselves by such acts, develop programs to identify such individuals, and meet their mental health needs, however, we also need to insure that law-abiding citizens who choose to own weapons, who never threatened or harmed anyone, and who wish only to maintain the ability to defend themselves, their families and their homes from danger, shall continue to have the right as well as the ability to do so. I own guns; I have been trained to use them. God forbid that I would ever be forced to do so, however, I will not surrender that right nor ask my fellow citizens to surrender that right.

Sincerely,

C. Susan Glick

Indiana State Senator

Sunny, everyone that I've gotten a response from so far hasn't voted for any of the measures that have come to a vote yet, and have a history of being in support of gun rights.

Believe me, if they voted for anything in contradiction to what they've said to me, they would hear about it, and so would anyone else that cared to listen.