PDA

View Full Version : Posthole, as always, was just a year ahead of his time.....

Buckrub
03-25-2013, 06:52 PM
Well, that, and Motte is probably due for Tommy John and out a year, moving everyone up a notch.........

http://www.yardbarker.com/mlb/articles/msn/and_the_winner_isshelby_miller/13232293

BarryBobPosthole
03-25-2013, 07:03 PM
Wonder if Rosenthal will take Motte's place?

BKB

Buckrub
03-25-2013, 08:05 PM
No. Boggs will. Rosenthal takes Boggs place as setup man. He's just rookie, after all. Give him time. 100mph is impressive, though.

BarryBobPosthole
03-26-2013, 09:42 AM
Bucky, what do you think of Kyle Lohse signing a three year deal with the Brewers for $33 million? I think if the Cards could have resigned him for that it would have been a good move. He's the best pitcher in the NL Central the last two years. I thought he was looking for a long term deal and was just too old for it. A three year deal would be about right for him and his age.
He might hurt us next year.

BKB

Buckrub
03-26-2013, 09:50 AM
I think he's history and won't ever be good again. I think he's the next Jeff Suppan. Scott Boras screwed him, the greedy pig.

BarryBobPosthole
03-26-2013, 10:01 AM
Well, I guess that is to be seen. I thought he had a great year last year and I sure didn't see any signs of him crashing and burning. I thought he was a bit long in the tooth for a long term deal with the Cards, but they could really use him now.

BKB

Buckrub
03-26-2013, 11:59 AM
And Suppan had a great year that he turned into big cash with the Brewers too. He folded like an accordion. I think Lohse will too, but hey, he might win the Cy Young for all I know.

BarryBobPosthole
03-28-2013, 08:04 AM
Oh, now I see the logic. It's all clear now. We couldn't sign a 34 year old Lohse to a one year deal for $20 million or so because we had to make room for a five year deal with a .500 starter with a 3.94 ERA for almost $100 million.

It all makes perfect sense to me now.

BKB

Cards01
03-28-2013, 09:21 AM
You bet the current signing is way better than any deal they could have worked out with Lohse. Wainright brings way more to the table and the team.

Buckrub
03-28-2013, 09:22 AM
You don't keep up well.

Lohse wanted 5 years. His agent is Scott Boras, and he gets what he wants, usually exorbitant. No one wanted him, so he finally settled for signing for THREE years with the Brewers. He told the Cardinals at every step he wanted five year deal. I hope he has a good year, but I am betting he falters midway and slides off into the sunset.

Wainright is a Staff Ace. There are very few Wainrights running around MLB. He has won WS games, is tougher than nails, and is a clubhouse presence and leader. He's worth twice what they paid him.

I think you are just a Watcher, and not a Follower.

BarryBobPosthole
03-28-2013, 09:39 AM
HA! Okay, we'll see. I admire Waino and I like his leadership. And he's a bulldog. But he also serves up home run balls like candy. And as much as I like him, he has a lifetime ERA of 3.15 and a winning pct of .625. Those aren't ace numbers by any stretch of the imagination. that's just the facts. Lohse's lifetime numbers are just marginally worse. But then again he's costing the Brewers a third of what Wainwright will cost the Cardinals. I'm a Mo' fan, but I think they bit the bag on this deal.

And I think you are drinking too much Koolaide.

BKB

Buckrub
03-28-2013, 09:47 AM
But it's cherry flavored....

Buckrub
03-28-2013, 09:57 AM
Oh, and..............

I guess this "high" ERA puts him.............oh..........let's see, where?...........

SECOND AMONG ALL ACTIVE PITCHERS

http://www.baseball-reference.com/leaders/earned_run_avg_active.shtml

Oh, and Home Runs Allowed per Nine Innings??

THIRD

http://www.baseball-reference.com/leaders/home_runs_per_nine_active.shtml
Man, you just don't get pitching..............

BarryBobPosthole
03-28-2013, 09:58 AM
That's like being first in a fat man's race.

BKB

Buckrub
03-28-2013, 10:00 AM
Other than a reliever, he has the best numbers in baseball in the categories that you said you don't like about him. So, who would YOU have rather signed?

BarryBobPosthole
03-28-2013, 10:14 AM
I would have made a better effort to resign Lohse. they could have gotten him for a three year deal and it would have been a steal. And I think I'd have been a little more active in the free agent market for a number five pitcher in the rotation. Maybe a Ryan Dempster to a one year deal or something along those lines. I agree with the developmental model the cards have followed, but we're one injury away from an 80 win season or worse.

BKB

Buckrub
03-28-2013, 10:38 AM
Disagree.

BarryBobPosthole
03-28-2013, 10:49 AM
My 2013 baseball predictions:

Ryan Braun will get popped for PEDs and get off again.

The KC Royals will win a wild card playoff berth and knock the Tigers or Rangers out of the playoffs.

The Red will win the NL Central and the Cards won't make the playoffs for the first time in a long time.

The Texas Rangers will win the World Series.

You heard it here first. Its gonna be an American League kind of year this year.

BKB

Buckrub
03-28-2013, 10:56 AM
Exactly how much money do you have?