PDA

View Full Version : Gay Marriage

BarryBobPosthole
03-26-2013, 10:57 AM
Seems to be an odd priority with everything else that is going on.

Any thoughts? Personally, I don't really even care. Its not going to effect my marriage one way or another. And I don't really see it as the world going to hell in a handbasket either.

But it'd be about 199th on my list of things I think our nation needs to work on right now.

Good thing I don't run things. We'd be working on the designated hitter rule in the National League.

BKB

Thumper
03-26-2013, 11:23 AM
I'm with you P-hole ... the country is going to hell in a handbasket and THIS issue is the big news of the day? I could care less and it doesn't affect me in any way. I DO understand many of "their" concerns though. As an example, we had a couple of very close friends in L.A. who were gay. They'd lived together for something like 20 years. One had an executive position with PacBell and had a nice benefits package. His partner was self-employed but a decent health insurance package was cost prohibitive for him. The guy with PacBell worked with a zillion married employees who had their spouses covered under the company medical plan, yet he was unable to enjoy the same benefits. That's one of many issues that are at stake.

But, that said, this country needs to focus on more important issues right now IMHO.

BarryBobPosthole
03-26-2013, 11:31 AM
I think nowadays a lot of companies are covering 'significant others' or whatever they are called. I'm pretty sure my company provides coverage for them anyway. Not sure how it works.

My youngest brother, 20 years younger than me, 'came out' a few years back and it had/has my family torn up about it. I just told him I hope he's finally happy. I kind of suspected it I think a long time before he did. He went through the whole marriage/divorce thing and has a young son who the family worries about because of it. He's not really someone who lives a gay lifestyle, whatever that is, but he and his partner just live quietly and try to raise their kids. Its a tough row to hoe not only for him, but for my family too. Still, I don't think I feel this ambivalent about it because of him.

BKB

Buckrub
03-26-2013, 11:57 AM
Well, I don't have any trouble focusing on more than one thing. The argument that "Well, problem X is not as big as Y, so why bother thinking about X when Y is SO BIG?" is nutty, to me. I can think about both, no problem.

Personally, it's a sin, to me. That's personally. So are a lot of other things that we in society tolerate. I don't buy the argument 'I was born that way', either.........because if so, tough nuggies. I was born to be lewdly attracted to wild redheads but I don't get to chase them just because I have that propensity. Everyone is born some way........yet some things need restraint.

Socially, civilly, I think it's a sad way for a country and a culture to go, and has not one single benefit that I know of. I have known several at work, and we got along in a work environment just fine, ate lunch together at times, and such. I wasn't going to invite them over, no. But I don't think it's a good thing. The ones I know now are not 'quiet, simple folk', they live in big hugely PINK houses and are Flamers, and teach at Universities, and don't make much of a positive mark on society, IMHO. But from a strictly civil point of view, I ain't gonna worry about it too much one way or the other.

Thumper
03-26-2013, 12:35 PM
I was born to be lewdly attracted to wild redheads but I don't get to chase them just because I have that propensity

The ONLY thing that prevents you from doing so is the fact that YOU decided to get married ... that was your choice, not society's ruling.

And WTF???

... (they) teach at Universities, and don't make much of a positive mark on society ...

Huh? Just face it ... you're a bigot ... no reason to make excuses. ;)

LJ3
03-26-2013, 01:29 PM
I support gay marriage for a number of reasons but I am with most of you that I don't understand the urgency or priority around it right now. But then again, I'm not gay and don't see the world from their perspective. I think the most vocal gays do the whole community a disservice by pointing a finger of bigot, or worse, at anyone who may not agree with their lifestyle. Just because you don't embrace someone's lifestyle doesn't mean you hate them, it's stupid to assign that intent to someone... ignorant at best.

I SURE as hell see no place or role for the Goverment in this discussion.

Here's a blog from a freind of mine. Read at your own risk :)

http://www.inpapasbasement.com/