PDA

View Full Version : Rapala

BarryBobPosthole
03-27-2013, 09:36 AM
They're about to price themselves out of my market. I love Rapala lures and always have. But I'm not going to pay $3 more apiece for them. And I don't understand their marketing. I've fished the Minnow Rap for years. Two years ago, they went on clearance everywhere and it was practically impossible to find them while Rapala was pimping the X-Rap series. I moved over to the Taildancers. Now they're back, albeit for almost $9 a lure, along with all the other lures that Rapala has made the past several years.
Rapala has made it too hard to keep up. I'm gonna explore Storm and some of the other ones I can get for $5.
What other deep runners do you guys like to use? I use them for both cranking and trolling.

BKB

Niner
03-27-2013, 10:07 AM
I too like the Rapalas. In fact I subscribed to their email for a while. I don't know why they are pricing themselves out of the market either! I really like using the "old school" straight floating minnows for shallow/top water, and also the Shad Rap for not-too-deep fishing.

That said, I don't think the fish give a damn about the name on the bill!!! There's a ton of other good ones out there, Storm is good, Berkley's got a few that look good too, Cotton Cordell, Srike King...etc look nice. I tell ya....in the catalog, those Cabela lures look good, and their pricing is pretty good too.

BarryBobPosthole
03-27-2013, 11:01 AM
I was giving those Cabela's Walleye Runners a good look to, and their new HDS lures look good. I know the brand doesn't make that much difference to the fish, but I haven't found anything that matches the Minnow Rap for the wide wobble or running true while trolling deep. The other bait I really like is the shadling by Lindy. If you can find an older model that has the bill and body poured as one unit they are killer.

BKB

LJ3
03-27-2013, 11:12 AM
I fished the X-Rap and that thing was a good producer. I just don't know enough about them to know if the replacement I'm buying will do the same thing. Their DT series are supposed to work real well in ribbers, too.

Niner
05-02-2013, 04:18 AM
Yo BBP!!!
I got a Cabelas flyer in the mail yesterday.
They have the Rapala minows on sale.

LJ3
05-02-2013, 09:24 AM
Oooooo, I just got $700.00 worth of Cabelas gift cards for kicking ass at work :)

BarryBobPosthole
05-02-2013, 09:48 AM
Oh man. That's conspicuous consumption. You need to give me half or you'll feel guilty.

BKB

Buckrub
05-02-2013, 11:02 AM
I finally got a Cabela's Visa to pay monthly gasoline costs with......

BarryBobPosthole
05-02-2013, 06:14 PM
They just came out with a new one called a ScatterRap Minnow. Gonna have to try it.

BKB