PDA

View Full Version : Kanoodling Squirrels

BarryBobPosthole
03-27-2013, 01:40 PM
There is a veritable squirrel orgy going on, on my back fence. Three of them are going at it like nobody's business. I've never seen a squirrel threesome before, but it looks like two females and a male. And funny enough, now I see the male laying on the top rail of the fence like he's worn completely out.

And that's today's nature report.

BKB

quercus alba
03-27-2013, 01:47 PM
trying to love two women is like a ball and chain

BarryBobPosthole
03-27-2013, 01:54 PM
Two of them appear to be locked up like dogs do. I didn't know that squirrels did that.
BKB

Big Muddy
03-27-2013, 02:03 PM
Ya'll's breeding season must run about a month behind ours....actually, ours started a few weeks earlier than normal, this year....musta been caused by that warm spell we had....we were finding immature babies in the sow squirrels, when we were skinning them in the latter part of February....some fellas even stopped hunting, early, because of that....personally, I cut back on actually shooting them, but still let Sandy do her thing.

Big Muddy
03-27-2013, 02:09 PM
Two of them appear to be locked up like dogs do. I didn't know that squirrels did that.
BKB

Yep, fairly common, Phole....just not often observed.

BarryBobPosthole
03-27-2013, 02:20 PM
It pays being a noticer!

BKB

Thumper
03-27-2013, 05:47 PM
Isn't it rabbits that seem to have years where their numbers increase wildly? Trying to remember.

Anyway, we're overrun with squirrels this year. Just yesterday I was watching as Lynn backed out of the driveway on her way to work. I counted 23 squirrels just in front of the house and my field of view really isn't all that wide. That evening I was talking with my neighbor and he mentioned (I hadn't said a word) that he's never seen so many squirrels in his life! That's when I told him what I'd seen that morning. He has just gone through heart surgery and had a pace-maker implanted ... now he spends much of his day just sitting in front of his house watching the world pass by. He says he can count 20-30 squirrels just in his yard on most any day.

Big Muddy
03-27-2013, 06:16 PM
Sounds like it might be time for you city guys to invest in a good pellet gun. ;)

Sunshine
03-27-2013, 06:35 PM
We've got a bunch, this year, too
Never seem this many around here.