PDA

View Full Version : I don't care who you are, this is friggin' COOL!

LJ3
03-27-2013, 09:08 PM
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/NfOHjeI-Bns" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Holy crap! I'm pretty sure Jimi would approve.

LJ3
03-27-2013, 09:14 PM
And Stevie Ray's cover of little wing.

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/GIrmxDsiotU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Big Muddy
03-27-2013, 10:15 PM
You are danged right, Lenster....that is COOL!!!

Sunshine
03-27-2013, 10:16 PM
My iPhone says the videos are unavailable.

LJ3
03-27-2013, 10:22 PM
Sunny, I think we've already established you and your iPhone have issues :)

BarryBobPosthole
03-27-2013, 10:29 PM
The government has your IP blocked from all those subversive websites you go to Sunshine.

BKB

Sunshine
03-27-2013, 10:44 PM
Lol really the videos won't open up for me.

Sunshine
03-27-2013, 10:59 PM
Never mind, I got it to work.

She's very talented.

johnboy
03-28-2013, 12:50 AM
Jest a sec, I gotta go roll a fatty and listen to that again. Far out man!

jb
03-28-2013, 09:10 AM
If you like that kind of $hit music !!

LJ3
03-28-2013, 10:23 AM
What excatly were you DOING in the 70's, JB? Watching Brady Bunch with the family? Tiddly winks with your church group? Discussing life options with your virgin club? Making sure you met your 8pm curfew? Practicing for a spelling bee? The Cowsills? were you listening to the Cowsills? How about the Osmonds? That's it, isn't it?

BarryBobPosthole
03-28-2013, 10:23 AM
I was thinking probably ABBA.

BKB

Buckrub
03-28-2013, 10:40 AM
First one, I could listen to a little bit. Second one, I made about 10 seconds of screeching, and hit 'off'............

Thumper
03-28-2013, 10:54 AM
Naaaa, Bubba's more of the "Starland Vocal Band" type. If you look closely, I think you can see him in the front row sitting next to Bucky! ;)

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2NUkhMq_iRo?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Thumper
03-28-2013, 10:59 AM
I'm with Johnboy ... makes me wanna break out the ol' bong and sit back to listen to my Ravi Shankar albums! :D

DeputyDog
03-28-2013, 11:41 AM
That is awesome! That is probably my favorite Hendrix song.

jb
03-28-2013, 01:29 PM
I didn't need some ugly fucking black doper to listen to when there were the likes of The Who, Rolling Stones, Springsteen,Queen, Deep Purple, Kinks, and a lot more.

Thumper
03-28-2013, 01:37 PM
That would be TALENTED ugly fucking black doper to you sir! :D

quercus alba
03-28-2013, 01:39 PM
I find myself agreeing with JB more and more. He's obviously getting smarter. I saw Jimi and scrolled right on down

BarryBobPosthole
03-28-2013, 01:46 PM
Ah yes. None of those bands were dopers. Not a single one.

BKB

Thumper
03-28-2013, 01:48 PM
No better guitar player in history. Can't think of anyone who could knock him off that top spot.

BarryBobPosthole
03-28-2013, 01:53 PM
Uh.....no. I love Jimi Hendrix music but he's not the best guitar player, not even in the top five. I can think of five off the top of my head right now that were better.
BKB

Thumper
03-28-2013, 02:00 PM
"ugly fucking black doper"

Ummm, I'm thinkin' maybe the key word was "black". The Who, Rolling Stones, Springsteen,Queen, Deep Purple& Kinks are all honkeys! I think maybe Eddie is posting under JB's moniker. ;)

Thumper
03-28-2013, 02:02 PM
Uh.....no. I love Jimi Hendrix music but he's not the best guitar player, not even in the top five. I can think of five off the top of my head right now that were better.
BKB

One thing for sure ... that would be an independent opinion. ;)

Thumper
03-28-2013, 02:24 PM
Ha! Out of curiosity, I decided to see what the web says who the top guitarist is ... the first thing that popped up with a quick Google, was Rolling Stone Magazine. Guess who was voted best guitarist of all time? You guessed it .. 'ol Jimi hisowndamnself!

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/100-greatest-guitarists-20111123/jimi-hendrix-20120705

AND ... it looks like they had some talent to do the voting!

We assembled a panel of top guitarists and other experts to rank their favorites and explain what separates the legends from everyone else. Featuring Keith Richards on Chuck Berry, Carlos Santana on Jerry Garcia, Tom Petty on George Harrison and more.

THE VOTERS: Trey Anastasio, Dan Auerbach (The Black Keys), Brian Bell (Weezer), Ritchie Blackmore (Deep Purple), Carl Broemel (My Morning Jacket), James Burton, Jerry Cantrell (Alice in Chains), Gary Clark Jr., Billy Corgan, Steve Cropper, Dave Davies (The Kinks), Anthony DeCurtis (Contributing editor, Rolling Stone), Tom DeLonge (Blink-182), Rick Derringer, Luther Dickinson (North Mississippi Allstars), Elliot Easton (The Cars), Melissa Etheridge, Don Felder (The Eagles), David Fricke (Senior writer, Rolling Stone), Peter Guralnick (Author), Kirk Hammett (Metallica), Albert Hammond Jr. (The Strokes), Warren Haynes (The Allman Brothers Band), Brian Hiatt (Senior writer, Rolling Stone), David Hidalgo (Los Lobos), Jim James (My Morning Jacket), Lenny Kravitz, Robby Krieger (The Doors), Jon Landau (Manager), Alex Lifeson (Rush), Nils Lofgren (The E Street Band), Mick Mars (Mötley Crüe), Doug Martsch (Built to Spill), J Mascis (Dinosaur Jr.), Brian May, Mike McCready (Pearl Jam), Roger McGuinn (The Byrds), Scotty Moore, Thurston Moore (Sonic Youth), Tom Morello, Dave Mustaine (Megadeth), Brendan O’Brien (Producer), Joe Perry, Vernon Reid (Living Colour), Robbie Robertson, Rich Robinson (The Black Crowes), Carlos Santana, Kenny Wayne Shepherd, Marnie Stern, Stephen Stills, Andy Summers, Mick Taylor, Susan Tedeschi, Vieux Farka Touré, Derek Trucks, Eddie Van Halen, Joe Walsh, Nancy Wilson (Heart)

CONTRIBUTORS: David Browne, Patrick Doyle, David Fricke, Will Hermes, Brian Hiatt, Alan Light, Rob Tannenbaum, Douglas Wolk

BarryBobPosthole
03-28-2013, 02:36 PM
That list is embarassing. And the voters are all a bunch of dopers. The fact that Mark Knopfler is not even in their top ten is a dead giveaway that not much thought went into that list. Nor do you see Chet Atkins anywhere on that list, and Chet is one of the top three of all time. And then there's a guy I like to call 'Les Paul' who was a pretty good axe player in his own dang right.

BKB

Thumper
03-28-2013, 03:40 PM
Don't be a sore loser .... LOSER! ;)

jb
03-28-2013, 03:42 PM
Jim, not so.
Even though I grew up in a town that was 99.5% white and currently live in an area that's about 98% white I never considered myself a racist.
The black kids I played sports against, served in the Marines with, and worked with were great people, never looked at them as anything but equals.
Now where I'd feel really uncomfortable with minorities would be the kids from the gangs, blacks, hispanics, asian, or even whites. Those are people I have no experience with, nor do I care to gain experience with.

Thumper
03-28-2013, 03:55 PM
Ha ha! Come on Bubba! I'd sure hope you know me well enough by now to know I was just yankin' yer chain. Afterall, that's my job around this joint! :D

BarryBobPosthole
03-28-2013, 04:00 PM
Speaking of great guitar players, one guy I love to listen to is the guitarist that plays with Leonard Cohen. Javier Mas is his name. He's a master at several instruments and if you just like music for music's sake, he's fun to listen to. Here's an interview with him talking about the different strings he plays.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvm4z2srHDw

LJ3
03-28-2013, 09:13 PM
Hehehe, he's starting to be my favorite curmudgeony curmudgeon! Only thing missing is him running after miscreants with his pants pulled up to his boobs and change all flyin' out of his pockets.

Buckrub
03-28-2013, 09:27 PM
Good grief. Roy flipping Clark can play better than those guys, and nineteen other instruments to boot. And Chet Atkins, and Les Paul and.......

Oh never mind. Discussion the Arts with kids is a waste of time.

Captain
03-28-2013, 10:04 PM
Roy Clark is perhaps the best EVER to pick a guitar, Hendrix was good but not the talent of Mark Knopfler, Carlos Santana and not even in the same church as Roy Clark!
JMHO
Take Care, Captain

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

LJ3
03-29-2013, 09:59 AM
Hendrix stood the guitar and rock world on its collective head. He set an entirely new direction for rock music. Pioneer.

Nobody else mentioned in this thread pioneered anything. No creativity, nothing different, just good solid musicians. That's the difference. They're all good.

You're welcome.

I will acquiesce one point made my Cap'n. Chet Atkins did pioneer a distinct alternate picking style. A right hand technique used by many today, Mark Knoepfler took it to the next level.

BarryBobPosthole
03-29-2013, 10:09 AM
Well, there certainly are some older pioneers in the blues genre that were every bit as influential as Jimi. Robert Johnson comes to mind, T-Bone Walker (I'm sure you've heard Stormy Monday), and a few others. I wouldn't put BB in that bunch, they were better. And also there's a white dude that played blues guitar for Hot Tuna and Jefferson Airplane, Jorma Kaukonen that could play blues as well as anybody I've heard.

Jimi was awesome and I would have given my eye teeth to see him play some time. And I agree he was a changer. The music world hasn't been the same since him. But I think was influenced as much as he was an influencer.

I would vote him the best left handed guitar player ever though.

And since we're talking guitar skills, how come nobody has mentioned Leo Kottke? Nobody can touch him.

BKB

johnboy
03-29-2013, 11:53 AM
Check out Dick Dale if you're not familiar with him and his style. Pretty amazing.

LJ3
03-29-2013, 12:05 PM
I was waiting to see if anyone would call me on my bullshit :)

Much of what Jimi did, he picked up from Buddy Guy.... Sort of a combined effort. Buddy was to Jimi, as Atkins was to knoepfler.

Dick Dale is a badass. Finally saw him about 10 years ago. He was also a true pioneer.

I've never heard a totally clean fender sound played as loudly as he did. I wouldn't hear a damn thing for almost 24 hours.