PDA

View Full Version : I would appreciate some assistance (optional)

Buckrub
03-30-2013, 05:36 PM
OK, I've been holding off on my 'search' for mother a car until I got the check from Allstate. It arrived today. My cousin 'found' her a car at a used car lot in town. The pictures looked great. Mother said she 'wanted it' (sight unseen of course). I went with my cousin to look at it and it wasn't good. Been wrecked I think, window leaked water, lots of dents, scratches, paint peeling etc. Not quite 'as advertised'.

I am not looking for any real work on anyone's part. BUT, you guys seem to know a lot of people in the US of A and sometimes you guys amaze me at what you know and can find. My real search starts with tomorrow's classified ads.........but I wanted to just throw this out there and see if anyone said "OH YEAH, I KNOW A GUY......" Remember, I have grandkids in 3 diff states, so a drive to get a good car would not be totally out of the question.

My goal.......is to get a car that my 85 y/o mother can drive well and handle well, and which will be serviceable for at least another 30,000 miles or so. We need a small car......(her carport is an 'add on' thing that my Tahoe will NOT fit in.

Specs:
Small car.......a hatchback would be nice, but she had Hundyai Elantra and liked it. Anything small... We found a big Mercury that she can afford, but she hasn't driven a car that size and is not comfortable driving or parking one that size
four doors
color immaterial
good tires preferred, but we can buy tires
not wrecked, and history of car known, if possible
gets great gas mileage
Most we've seen at this price have over 120,000 miles. To me that's a LOT....but cars are doing better than they used to, I realize. But as low a mileage as we can get.
We have a MAX of $4,500 to spend including sales tax, etc.
color immaterial

If you know of one somewhere, or have a family member selling one by chance, or stumble on one.........let me know.

Thanks.

Big Muddy
03-30-2013, 05:54 PM
Bucky, it's none of my business, but unless you're willing to kick in some additional funds, you're not gonna get much of a safe and reliable vehicle for $4500....at least, not something that I'd feel safe enough to let MY mother drive....jmho.

LW
03-30-2013, 06:01 PM
A car that an 85 year old can drive and handle well....good one.

Buckrub
03-30-2013, 06:42 PM
I think I can, Ed. I have to try, anyway.

Thanks anyway.

LW, I meant one small enough to park and handle. She has her wits about her and is an 'able bodied' woman. I removed her chain saw and tree loppers from her wrecked car. I just visited with her. She's lucid and will soon be able, if PT keeps working. Nothing wrong with being 85....

LW
03-30-2013, 06:47 PM
I usually call my banker and tell him to hook me up with a repo. Of course my banker is a close friend. 90 days after tax refunds start coming in is a good time for repos. Too many people buy vehicles they cant afford.

quercus alba
03-30-2013, 07:01 PM
2004 accord, 160 k, 5G. Well taken care of, considered buying it myself.

LW
03-30-2013, 07:15 PM
Thats the deal. Cant go wrong with Honda. You oughta try one of their 4 wheelers sometime.

Thumper
03-30-2013, 08:02 PM
Honda Accord or Toyota Camry .... you can't go wrong with either one.

I know enough people in the business that I could "probably" hook you up ... but I just KNOW the dang engine would crap parts out the exhaust or the tranny would puke it's guts all over the road if I got involved ... so just look for a decent Accord or Camry and your chances of getting a decent car will be pretty dang good.

Captain
03-30-2013, 08:49 PM
Rick Hendricks has close to 100 dealerships now, Dale Jr. and he are starting to open some additional ones too.
Search www.hendrickauto.com find what you want get the stock number and email me. Ill get you hooked up....
Take Care, Captain

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Buckrub
03-30-2013, 10:02 PM
Thanks, guys.

Cappy, I can't see any in the list of "Less than $5K" that would work. Only a couple and they both have over 150,000 miles on 'em. I just can't see doing that......I know, cars are better than they used to be...

Decent Toyotas, Hondas etc..........are going for $10K with a zillion miles on 'em. Can't find any at our price............but am sure looking.

Found one I'm going to try and look at tomorrow. One owner 2002 Buick Century, 55,000 miles, that is less than $4K............have no idea, but supposedly good condition. Just starting to look. Cars are such a pain, especially trying to buy a 'deal' for your own mother!!!

jb
03-31-2013, 10:37 AM
For that kind of money and the few miles she drives you could lease her a new one. I'm sure that $4500 spread over the next 3 years will cover all her cost and when the lease runs out she'll most likely be done driving anyway.

Buckrub
03-31-2013, 10:50 AM
Uh, where can I lease a new car for $1,500 a year, with nothing down??????

Big Muddy
03-31-2013, 11:04 AM
Jb, now that's a great idea....you oughta check that out, Bucky....on tv, VW has been offering some great leases, i.e., on their little Jetta.

Buckrub
03-31-2013, 03:46 PM
Made an offer of $3,400 on the Buick Century. He'll take it to his Grandmother tonight in Assisted Living center and see if she'll take it. It's dirty, but solid. 57,000 miles, very serviceable.

The Jetta lease wants $2,000 up front and $159 a month..........and it's a standard, which she can't drive.......and the new car would jack up her insurance premiums, already high due to turning 85 and having a wreck to boot.

Buckrub
03-31-2013, 09:28 PM
Thanks for all the advice and help, guys. I appreciate it.

The guy just took the offer of $3,400.........he has to get his Grandma to sign title...she's in nursing home, but apparently lucid.......and we have to cash the insurance check. Then I have to have it detailed, and have my guy go over tires, front end alignment, and brakes.........and go get some floor mats.............and we're set.

It's not a new car.......but it'll be serviceable for her for a long time......

Thumper
04-01-2013, 12:22 PM
Ouch! I assume that's a 6-cyl? Before you hand over the cash, do a pressure test on the cooling system and check the dipstick CLOSELY for signs of coolant in the oil. Those crap GM 6-bangers are notorious for leaking intake manifold gaskets. They've had the problem for a zillion years and never got off their asses long enough to engineer a fix. Run it too long like that and it's new engine time.

I hope it's a good one for you (her) ... just keep an eye on it.