PDA

View Full Version : Pall Bearer Duty

BarryBobPosthole
04-04-2013, 03:58 PM
My Uncle John passed away yesterday morning at 5:30 CT. He was 90 and a veteran of both WWII and Korea. Loaded bombs on B24 Liberators in England during WWII and worked as a loadmaster and rear observer in aircraft in Korea. He was what my generation of Ari Force would call 'Old Brown Shoe', meaning it was a division of the army back when he started serving. He stayed in the service and retired from it after about 30 years service and retired to the life of gentleman farmer after that. He even farmed with mules. But to me he was just my Uncle John and another of my mother's many (10) brothers and sisters who helped raise me and make me who I am. My Mom is the last living of the 10. And Saturday, I'm honored to be among the pall bearers that will carry him to his grave. All of the pall bearers are his nephews and all of us are veterans. Having grown up in a preacher's house, I'm used to funerals and weddings and all of the rituals associated with both. You can grow callous to them (the rituals), but my Dad taught me that all they really were meant for was to stand up and show respect and a good person deserves it. He does.

He called me Barry Schwietzer, because I am a Sooner fan. and he'd laugh his big laugh, like I remember since I was old enough to know who he was. My family has a proud tradition of military service, and he and his brothers are the biggest reason for it.

Like I said, he was 90 and has been having a rough time this past year. He did let me know he'd voted this past election though via absentee and made sure I knew it WASN'T for Obama!
I saw him at our family reunion last summer and he didn't know me at first. Then later he came over and put his arm around me and gave me a hug and said it was good to see me. that's the last time I spoke to him face to face.

No condolences please! Just hug one of your own next time you see them and that'll be good enough for me.

BKB

Captain
04-04-2013, 04:15 PM
Wow, what a great guy!
Very thankful to him for his service. I know you will keep him alive for a long time!
Ill honor him by following your wishes in lieu of condolences...
Take Care, Captain

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Buckrub
04-04-2013, 04:45 PM
Tough getting old.

And I don't care what you say.........you're easy to disagree with anyway........Condolences to YOU...it's clear he meant a lot to you. After meeting your Dad, and seeing you two, I can see your family is close, and good people, and that a lot of these folks had a big say in raising you right. Just pass on the tradition, son. That's all you can do.

I sure do hate funerals, though.

Bwana
04-05-2013, 08:21 AM
I may be way off base here but looking at the photos you posted he looks like he was a happy gent and perhaps a bit of a character. As Bucky said, sorry for you loss.

Chicken Dinner
04-05-2013, 08:43 AM
Sounds like a helluva a guy and I'm sure he'll be missed by many. My condolances to you and your family.

Thumper
04-05-2013, 08:52 AM
I had an uncle like that ... he was always my favorite and I was closer to him than any other uncle I have. As "luck" would have it ... he was the very first to pass away (I was in my 20's). I've always missed him. Sorry for your loss ... but it sounds like you had many good years with him around.