PDA

View Full Version : One Shining Moment

Buckrub
04-08-2013, 11:56 PM
I have to enjoy Louisville winning the National Championship if for no other reason, it has to tick off those black-toothed, redneck, idjits that root for UK and think they're so hot. Other than LSU in all sports, I can think of no one I detest more than a UK basketball fan. They are dumber'n a box of rocks but think their stuff don't stink.

This is the equivalent of a hog fan seeing Arkansas State win a National Championship.

However, I suspect Michigan will be in same game next year.........

Niner
04-09-2013, 07:39 AM
Perhaps I am in the minority on this. It certainly wouldn't be the first time. BUT.....What is all this excitement about basketball anyway?? A bunch of guys running back and forth in their gym shorts trying to get a little ball into a fruit basket.

Seriously.....I'd rather watch a college wrestling match.

It appears to be a bigger deal in those areas that have long winters and no ice to play hockey on. To my eye, that's about what basketball is...dry hockey....without the fighting.

LOTS of folks just go bonkers with the whole March Madness deal...with their brackets and pools and whatnot, but I just don't get it. I have tried to get interested in the sport. My daughter played "little league" basketball when she was in middle school so we attended the practices and games.....heck...we even went to some of the women's basketball games when the Olympics were in A-town. But the sport leaves me yawning.
:sleeping

*Sigh*...Come on September. What time is kickoff? :friday:beer

HideHunter
04-09-2013, 09:44 AM
Niner.. You just pretty much summed up my feelings.... except you can pretty much add *all* sports to the list. I will watch a little college wrestling and a bit of MMA. The rest of those little kid games.. pretty much leave me cold.. and to that you can add turn left, make noise and race to where you started. I actually was a half-assed decent athlete. Just always been a lousy spectator. Wouldn't trade one morning in the turkey woods for tickets to the Super Bowl.

Buckrub
04-09-2013, 10:00 AM
I like hunting. I like fishing. I like most sports. I like wimmin. I like most actual music. I like reading. I like traveling. I like greasy food.

I'm just an eclectic kind o' guy.

Thumper
04-09-2013, 12:21 PM
I have to admit ... basketball is probably the ONLY "ball" sport I ever got interested in. Before I met Lynn, she had dated Jerry Buss' (owner of the L.A. Lakers at the time) assistant. So, she knew almost all of the team and staff personally. We always had free passes to the games, so I attended a few games with her and became hooked. When we moved back to Florida and Shaq moved to the Orlando Magic ... it became even more interesting. Lynn remained an L.A. Laker fan (her hometown) and I became a converted Orlando Magic fan (my hometown). BUT ... then came the infamous lock-out ('98?) and I lost ALL interest. Something about a bunch of dufes PLAYING a game, getting paid bazillions of dollars to do so, then crying because they don't make enough money, just kinda pissed me off. I haven't followed b-ball since that time other than watching a couple of play-off games through the years.

BarryBobPosthole
04-09-2013, 01:56 PM
The tourny has its moments. I didn't watch it much after the sooners got eliminated this year.

but speaking of moments, I couldn't help but think of US Reed's 50' jumper at the buzzer to beat Louisville in the tournament many many years ago. I'll bet Bucky even remembers the year.

BKB

Niner
04-09-2013, 01:59 PM
LOL. Jim, I feel the same way about pro baseball. I used to be a big Braves fan. We watched most of the games on the TV. Then they went on strike and I lost all interest in the game.

Buckrub
04-09-2013, 06:43 PM

quercus alba
04-09-2013, 06:54 PM
college basketball used to be my favorite sport bar none. They've changed it to street ball where all they do is ram around like a bull in a china closet. It's more like a rugby scrum than basketball. Then they can't hit their free throws. No fundamentals, no court sense, no footwork and scoring by the big man. Just driving into traffic, throwing up a wild shot and sending a 50% free throw shooter to the line. A guard that can't shoot 75-80% from the line couldn't play for my team. I really hate what it's become, and don't get me started on the one and done

sorry, I'm channeling my inner curmudgeon right now