PDA

View Full Version : Hey jb!

Bwana
04-11-2013, 05:51 PM
What is a decent price for a Winchester Super X Trap gun in good shape?

I found one listed in a local website store for $495 obo. It has great looking wood and according to the gent who is listing the gun it they were built from 1974-1981 and he guarantees it works even though it hasn't been shot for years. My son is interested in it but I know nothing about them. Of course I DO realize that the gun needs to hit where you are looking so fit is very important so I want to make sure if he buys it and it doesn't work that he can get his $ back if he sells it.

Any known problems with them?

I can send you a link to the gun if that would help.

jb
04-12-2013, 08:54 AM
That's a good price depending on it's condition. I take it, it's a semi auto, as they made a Super X pump also.
Thing you need to know if it will cycle using low velocity 1oz. loads, the kind they might shoot at the 16 yd. line.
The other thing about a semi auto, is get a shell catcher for it, your squad buddies will really like that.
Glad to see they're still interested in the game. We had our very first shoot of the year last sunday, in the snow :( but it did feel good to get back out on the line and shoot something.

Bwana
04-12-2013, 09:38 AM
It is indeed a semi-auto and would assume it would shoot 1 oz. loads since it is a trap model but that would be something that we would need to check. As for the shell-catchers, I am well aware. Any known problems with the gun?

The kids who will be working this year (including both my boys) had a pre-season meeting last night to get ready for next week's opening. Though I am a bit antsy to start shooting each of us have turkey tags to fill plus as I type this the snow continues to fall as it has been since yesterday. Thankfully it isn't coming down fast.

Cards01
04-12-2013, 09:54 AM
a 1st year run Super X is my go to skeet gun for 12ga. They are a great shotgun.

Bwana
04-12-2013, 11:57 AM
Here are some pics of the gun he is looking at:

BarryBobPosthole
04-12-2013, 11:58 AM
Love the burling on that stock. Purty.
BKB

jb
04-12-2013, 01:39 PM
That's a nice looking gun, looks to have the shell catcher on it already. Friend of mine collected them, he thinks they were some of the best auto's made.
Wish you could try it before buy it. One more step up the ladder of trap guns that's for sure.

Bwana
04-12-2013, 02:01 PM
So you think he would look more like a real trap shooter then he does now with his camo 870?

jb
04-12-2013, 02:45 PM
He'll look good with that gun, looks can be intimidating,
He'll get a little more respect to start with, but will earn the respect the way he has been shooting. :rocket

Bwana
04-12-2013, 05:50 PM
I agree that the gun can get them to take him more seriously before the shooting starts but actions speak louder then words. Sort of like when the team he was on 2 years ago took the youth state competition which was sort of cool for the shooting prowess it took but ironic given 4 of the 5 were shooting 870 expresses.

Thanks for the information jb and have a good weekend.

jb
04-15-2013, 04:55 PM
Just for your reference. Found this on trapshooters.com.
For Sale Winchester Super X Model 1 30" Full Trap Choke, this gun had a receient gunsmith tune up parts replaced carrier release, and spring, bolt buffer, breach bolt beard retaining pin, cleaned and lube. This gun ready to go and test fired one round of trap it ran perfect. LOP is 14" with an orginal WRA 3/4" recoil pad. $750.00 pluse freight to your FFL.