PDA

View Full Version : Cool estate sale find today (and what are the odds?)

Thumper
04-12-2013, 12:57 PM
First off, I was born and raised in Orlando, but now live 50-60 miles west of there ... between Orlando and Tampa actually. (closer to Tampa)

I was at an estate sale here in town this morning and ran across an old year book from 1947. I glanced at it and ... wtf?? It was from the old OHS (Orlando High School). My mom and dad went there! Dad was a Sophomore and Mom was a Freshman that year. Sheeesh! My dad's pic looks PERSACTLY like my old school pictures! (he'd have been 15-16 yrs. old then) To make it even cooler, it's the same place I went to JUNIOR h/s. Sometime after my parents graduated, they built a new h/s and changed OHS over to a jr. h/s. In fact, I had one of my dad's old teachers (English) when I was there (yep, she was a dinosaur). To make it even more interesting, there are pictures of John Young (drove the Lunar Rover on the moon). He was a Junior that year.

Anyway, I picked the thing up for $5.00 and will surprise my mom with it. (she doesn't have a h/s yearbook)

Pretty neat! But I wish Dad were still around to see it. :(

Bwana
04-12-2013, 01:56 PM
That is definitely a cool find. I bet your gift moves you up a notch or two on the favorite child totem pole. ;)

Thumper
04-12-2013, 02:14 PM
Hey! I'm "sure" I'm already at the top ... how much higher could I go? ;)

I'm sure she'll get a kick out of it. Orlando was just a one-horse town back then and everyone knew everyone else regardless of what particular class they happened to be in. So I'm sure she'll know a good majority of the people pictured. It should be a fun trip down memory lane for her. (she's 81 now)

jb
04-12-2013, 03:12 PM
We have our 50th reunion this summer, so far only very old looking people have posted their pictures on the web site, only recognize the names, must be their grandparents pictures they're posting.
Year books can be big trouble after you read what everyone wrote in them 50 years ago and who and what they are today.:wiggle

BarryBobPosthole
04-12-2013, 03:26 PM
Neat, Jim!
BKB