PDA

View Full Version : Valuable lesson learned!

Thumper
04-22-2013, 05:33 AM
Sometimes we get to the point we feel so "comfortable" here that this place becomes nothing more than a hang-out where we b/s with each other. We forget that everything said here becomes plastered all over the planet. I received an interesting e-mail last night from an individual on e-Bay. He was looking at an item I had listed (for a substantial amount of $$$) and basically told me (not in these exact words) that it would be a cold day in hell before he bought anything from me. He threw in a few terms I recognized ("dufe" for one) and I finally recognized where he was coming from. I had posted pics of the object here, including what I'd paid for it and in the following posts, made some disparaging remarks about the type people who would use something like this. (can you tell I'm being very evasive here?) I was actually making fun of one of our regular members and used some "off-color" descriptive terms. Of course, to us, it was all in fun and we knew it was actually a fun and friendly post because anyone here would have taken it in context.

BUT ... evidently, when I posted this object on e-Bay, a potential buyer Googled it and it brought up the post I made here at G/H! He took the comment completely out of context and believed I was attacking him on a personal level. Kinda like when I call you baseball fans a bunch'o nutbag dufebutts! You get the picture? Anyone stumbling in here wouldn't know the wise-cracks were among friends. Anyway, he was highly offended and said he wouldn't buy anything from me no matter what the price or how badly he wanted it!

Just out of curiosity, I googled a few things I have listed (things I've commented on here before) and sure enough ... if I named the item by name, manufacturer, or something similar that would pop up on a search engine, I'll be damned if it didn't show up. Heck, I use the net all the time to research prices and do the same type searches myownself. But this brought me back to the reality that EVERYTHING we say is available to all on the net if they should stumble across it.

I've just spent the last hour searching my complete history and deleting all of my "estate sale" posts from our database. From here on out, I guess I'll have to be a bit less detailed with my descriptions and remember not to mention prices paid, etc. Nothing like trying to run a retail store while posting your actual cost figures on the frigging internet!

Captain
04-22-2013, 07:40 AM
That could only happen to you!

:D
Take Care, Captain

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Thumper
04-22-2013, 08:47 AM
Ha ha! Yeppers, maybe I should borrow Sunshine's tinfoil hat! ;)

Buckrub
04-22-2013, 08:47 AM
This software allows you to make a section where only registered members can access. Just FYI.

And what cappy said.

Niner
04-22-2013, 08:56 AM
Yepper.........there's lots of times I am a little vague with some stuff. "The World" is a lot smaller place these days, and there's lots of folks using "antisocial media".

One of the reasons I canceled my Facebook account.

Just as a thought, I wonder if there's a way to paassword protect the site so that nothing could be seen unless one has password access???

BarryBobPosthole
04-22-2013, 09:21 AM
I believe there is a way to make it so only members can view the site. We didn't set it up that way in the beginning because without allowing visitors you don't attract much in the way of new members. If that's not a priority any more, then I can research how to change it so only registered folks can see it. Y'all just let me know.
BKB

Thumper
04-22-2013, 09:27 AM
Oh, I'm not really sure that's all a necessity. I was just pointing out how, over time, we tend to get "comfortable" and don't pay too much attention to what we post. I suppose it could apply to other instances (other than my example), but it was just a wake-up call for me. Not a major deal ... just thought I'd throw it out here as a reminder we're not "alone".

BarryBobPosthole
04-22-2013, 09:30 AM
You're right, we do forget ourselves sometimes. I know I'm guilty of thinking it's just us chickens and then been shocked when I see a post come up in a google search.
BKB

Thumper
04-22-2013, 09:35 AM
Dang! I hope this doesn't mean we have to get all politically correct and stuff! :D

LJ3
04-22-2013, 10:46 AM
Avoid posting links or other identifying information. Post a pic here, but not a link to a pic on another auction site. Treat this place like a "bubble" to the outside world and none of the web crawlers will index the content.

Oh, and stop being an asshole to your bretheren :)

Sunshine
04-22-2013, 11:20 AM
Uuummmmm uuummmm did I just hear an apology for all the crap I've taken about deleting my posts? :D

Thumper
04-22-2013, 11:40 AM
Avoid posting links or other identifying information. Post a pic here, but not a link to a pic on another auction site. Treat this place like a "bubble" to the outside world and none of the web crawlers will index the content.

I never post links Ticboy. The pics I post on e-bay are stored in my "pictures" file on my laptop and go through the e-bay picture posting section. If you click on the pic listed, it goes goes back to the e-bay storage area. Key words typed into Google is what directs the search here.

Make a post here about a little red thingamajig and then put "little red thingamajig" into google and it'll eventually show up.

Captain
04-22-2013, 11:57 AM
Why is your little thingamagig red Thumper??
Oh new car..... Never mind
Take Care, Captain

Thumper
04-22-2013, 12:01 PM
Ha ha! Sunny, there's a difference between being "careful" and being "paranoid"! :D

Thumper
04-22-2013, 12:02 PM
Why is your little thingamagig red Thumper??
Oh new car..... Never mind
Take Care, Captain

Ha! 'Cause I told you to "bite me" ... and you DID! ;)

LJ3
04-22-2013, 02:00 PM
I never post links Ticboy. The pics I post on e-bay are stored in my "pictures" file on my laptop and go through the e-bay picture posting section. If you click on the pic listed, it goes goes back to the e-bay storage area. Key words typed into Google is what directs the search here.

Make a post here about a little red thingamajig and then put "little red thingamajig" into google and it'll eventually show up.

Exactly my point, dufus. If you type in the exact description, especially if it's the same description off another site, webcrawlers will correlate that data and lump it together.

BarryBobPosthole
04-22-2013, 02:06 PM
I wonder what the webcrawler thinks about Eddie?

BKB

Buckrub
04-22-2013, 06:02 PM
What I meant was that this software WILL allow a separate site that ONLY members can access, while still allowing the rest of the site to be publicly viewed. Several chat sites that I frequent have that feature. Then you could say what you want in the Members Only section.

BarryBobPosthole
04-22-2013, 06:52 PM
We can set it up any way you guys want us to.

BKB

Captain
04-22-2013, 08:51 PM
I don't see any reason to change anything.

We are just a small group and need to try to get others involved.

Big Muddy
04-22-2013, 09:42 PM
I wonder what the webcrawler thinks about Eddie?

BKB

Hahaha....like I give a sheeit what a sleaze-ball web crawler reads about me....and, if they read real close in between the lines, I think they'll know better than to f--k with me, either....I'll sic Cappy on their azzes. ;)

Thumper
04-23-2013, 12:29 AM
Yeah, I don't really see a reason to lock the place up. The only drawback was, I was cracking on Malard Filmore on the fly fishing thing ... and this fly fisherman took exception to my remarks. Taken out of context, not knowing we're all friends and jokesters here, I could see where he'd be offended. All that aside, it didn't help matters any to state I paid $2.00 for something I had listed on "The Bay" for $30. It's no big deal and I'll be a bit more careful from here on out. He came on a bit strong in his initial e-mail, but after I explained the dynamics of this place, he was kind enough to e-mail back and was totally understanding and a bit more friendly with his wording. BUT ... that doesn't mean it wasn't an unpleasant experience and could have been a lot worse. Actually, the item sold today anyway, but I have others like it and this potential buyer has pretty much eliminated himself from the buyers pool through a quick Google search. It's nothing I wasn't aware of previously, it's just that after a while, you tend to "forget" and let your guard down.

BarryBobPosthole
04-23-2013, 09:01 AM
Fly fishermen are touchy creatures. And what's funnier is Mallard Fillmore hasn't posted here in years. Hell, he won't even call me to see if I'm alive much less check in on Goodhunting. His friend Renee is the only civilized person that he and I know down there.

BKB

Chicken Dinner
04-23-2013, 09:10 AM
I just happened to be updating my profile yesterday and noticed that it had something like 421 views. I found that pretty interesting given the few folks that are actually registered.

Thumper
04-23-2013, 09:16 AM
Dang! I've never even looked at mine before. I just checked and it's had 618 views. HUH???

Sunshine
04-23-2013, 10:36 AM
I've had 547 views to mine!!

LJ3
04-23-2013, 10:43 AM
Fly fisherman are pussies, generally speaking.

Funny story. I have been hitting suburban fishing ponds when I can lately until the river settles down and I can fish it. Most of the ponds I know well enough to know where the fish may be under most conditions. So this past weekend I had an hour to waste so hit one of the smallest ponds. There was a flyfishing dufus there who was clearly not very experienced yet, prolly trying to practice his casting and improve his skills. He happened to be standing about 10 feet from a little hole that always holds fish... I gave him 15 minutes to cast to it, it's OBVIOUS structure where there isn't much else to cast at. Finally I could take it anymore, cast over there, my soft plastic hits the target perfectly and BAM, instant strike and fish on. This all happened pretty much right at his feet :)

I couldn't hold it in and just busted out laughing as I was reeling the fish in :) For some reason I said across the pong, "Sorry" not really sure why I said that.

BarryBobPosthole
04-23-2013, 10:46 AM
Maybe he needs to add the 'tournament cast' to his repertoire next time he practices.

BKB

HideHunter
04-23-2013, 11:59 AM
Fly fisherman are pussies, generally speaking.

Kiss my ruby-red-fly-fishing ass. :thwak

lol.. actually I get into it with fellow fly fishers all the time.. Like bowhunters (and especially "traditional" bowhunters - which I do also) many think because they have made this choice of equipment, they are somehow "superior". Pisses me off to no end. I wrote an article for a ff site that touched on this one time. I'll see if I can find it.

Big Skyz
04-23-2013, 12:22 PM
"Like bowhunters (and especially "traditional" bowhunters - which I do also) many think because they have made this choice of equipment, they are somehow "superior". Pisses me off to no end."

Man-Oh-Man, are you and I on the same page there HideHunter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thumper
04-23-2013, 12:26 PM
Gotta go along with that bow hunter comment myself. I can remember many flame-filled heated arguments on the old All Outdoors site. Compounds are bad enough, but don't even MENTION crossbows to a traditional bow hunter!

Chicken Dinner
04-23-2013, 12:49 PM
They're as bas as "reformed" smokers...

BarryBobPosthole
04-23-2013, 12:50 PM
HEY! I resemble that remark!

BKB

HideHunter
04-23-2013, 12:56 PM
They're as bas as "reformed" smokers...

lol.. or the recently "saved". ;)

Thumper
04-23-2013, 01:20 PM
.... or the former fat boy who joined a gym, changed his diet and lost a bazillion pounds.

Heck, Hunter's a good example. He won't even talk to us peons anymore.