BarryBobPosthole
04-22-2013, 09:52 PM
BKB

Thumper
04-23-2013, 12:33 AM
Ha ha! The Good Hunting Geezer Gang! ;)

jb
04-23-2013, 08:25 AM
Not that far from the truth. I need a hearing aid, wife needs to say things twice, hear her the first time but can't understand what she's saying, miss about half of what said on the TV.
I use a Walker Game Ear when hunting, a few time I've used it at the movies, I hear stuff I never heard in a long time.
My insurance pays for a hearing aid but my ego isn't there yet. :)

Big Muddy
04-23-2013, 09:03 AM
The problem with women is when they KNOW you can't hear good, they like to screw with your head....they like to turn their back to you, or walk away, while mumbling some insignificant sheeit....or, wait until they are at the other end of the house, then start yaking, and expect you to hear them....irritates the h3ll outta me.

Thumper
04-23-2013, 09:18 AM
What did youse guys say?? :confused:

BarryBobPosthole
04-23-2013, 09:23 AM
My hearing has been bad since the Air Force. I always ended up being the HF radio guy on our shift it seemed like, mainly cause I liked messing with it, and listening through all that loud static along with SF tones, test tones, and hunting ducks my whole life has pretty much ruint me. I'm thinking about getting one of those horns you stick in your ear. I always thought those were cool.

BKB

Thumper
04-23-2013, 09:40 AM
Same here P-hole. I had two of these (R-390's) .... "Control" was plugged into my left ear and his "out-station" was plugged into my right ear for 8 hours/day ... at VERY high volume for 3+ years. If I wasn't listening and copying, I was searching and listening. When I had my exit physical, my doc said I showed significant hearing loss since my entrance exam. (NOT something a 23 year old wants to hear) The VA will give me free hearing aids ... but I'm with Bubba, I'm just not quite there yet. :(

http://www.radioera.com/images/IMG_1649.JPG

Buckrub
04-23-2013, 09:46 AM
Man took his wife to a counselor one time. He said "She just doesn't listen to me any more. No matter what I say, she ignores me".

Counselor said "I want you to do a test for me. Next time she is in the kitchen I want you to stand by the front door and look straight at her and ask her a question. If she ignores you, I want you to walk to the next room from her and ask it again. If she still ignores you, I want you to walk up next to her and repeat the question. If she ignores you then, I want you to schedule another appointment with me and you both come back in".

So the man did as he was told. She was washing dishes and he stood by the front door and asked her "What's for dinner?". Nothing.

So he walked to the kitchen door and asked her again. Nothing.

So he walked up next to her and asked her one more time, standing right next to her.

She said "FOR THE THIRD TIME, WE'RE HAVING CHICKEN"................

BarryBobPosthole
04-23-2013, 09:49 AM
I played with an old R-390 the whole time I was in tech school. the main radio we used was called a KWM2-A, which was still a tube type radio just on a smaller less powerful scale that the old R390. When we started communicating with the AWACS birds we upgraded to a solid state Collins radio and for the life of me I can't remember the nomen for it. Sat in big old van and had an orthognal antenna. But no matter how you dress up that pig, it's still HF.

BKB

Thumper
04-23-2013, 10:34 AM
Yep P-hole ... I think Collins also made a later version of the R390 for the military (R390-A I believe). You were probably playing with the Collins 51J.

Thumper
04-23-2013, 10:36 AM
Figured I search for an image of the Collins ...

http://www.dr-boesch.ch/radio/radio-images/collins-51j4-col.jpg

BarryBobPosthole
04-23-2013, 10:44 AM
I'll bet Niner has seen on of these. They're big amongst the hammies.

BKB

LJ3
04-23-2013, 10:48 AM
My hearing is fading pretty quickly these days. I'm paying the price of garage band practice for years in a single car garage with a 25,000 watt sound system. Young people are stupid.

Thumper
04-23-2013, 10:58 AM
Yeah Lenster ... I remember in the old concert days, we'd stand right in front of the speaker towers. The dang vibrations would rattle your teeth. I also never wore hearing protection while shooting ... until I was much older anyway. Of course, add to that the many hours standing next to a race car with open headers. Heck, now that I think back, it's a wonder I'm not totally deaf. :(