PDA

View Full Version : April Fishing Pic

Egghead
04-29-2013, 08:54 AM
We may have to have a vote, or someone with a tad of pic editing skills. All on board had a hand in these, but I reeled in one, and Hank the other. Technically, Hanks's was a tad longer.

Worthy of posting for April?

Chicken Dinner
04-29-2013, 08:59 AM
I'd vote for E's picture. It was his boat and he did almost all the boat handling on what was a pretty "sporty" day afloat.

Niner
04-29-2013, 09:48 AM
Is that snow???!!!

Chicken Dinner
04-29-2013, 10:49 AM
Wha!?!

Buckrub
04-29-2013, 07:21 PM
Lordy, yes, PLEASE. Anything beats what we got.

BarryBobPosthole
04-30-2013, 11:07 AM
There's a couple of dandies! Nice fish too. Need a story to go with it!
BKB

Chicken Dinner
05-06-2013, 08:47 AM
I was going to leave the story to Eric, but he seems to be asleep at the wheel. The day started out sunny and calm, but it was spitting rain with a "freshening breeze" by the time we finished. The marine forecast said the waves were 1'-2', but it was definitely an honest 2' by the time we got in. We fished 16 rods using planer boards with a mix of mostly plastic alewives on jigs, a couple of umbrella rigs, a spoon and plug. Most, if not all, of the rods were double-rigged. The first fish hit chartreuse and the second hit a bubble gum colored rig. It was my first trip out on Eric's 25' Grady White and it's a fishing machine. One of Eric's partner's on the boat is another friend of ours who has Captained his own charter boat part time for the last 20+ years and he was along and shared his technical expertise. Maybe the next you're out this way we can talk Eric into taking us all out.

Bwana
05-06-2013, 02:21 PM
Holy crap, with that many rods and multiple rigs per rod you guys should have snagged any fish that was in your path!

Nice fish, how big were they?

Sunshine
05-06-2013, 02:32 PM
Nice fishy's!!!
Sounds like you all had fun!!

BarryBobPosthole
05-06-2013, 03:29 PM
Those umbrella rigs are intriguing. I'm not sure yet how I feel about them, but its prolly going to come down about what I think of folks who fish two and three hook rigs for crappie. TOO MUCH TROUBLE.

They sure are catching some fish with them though, and all species. I know Ontario has limited the number of hooks you can use on one to three or four, can't recall.

I saw another method on TV that someone was using that is kind of like longline trolling only you drop a crankbait, move the boat off a couple hundred yards with the bail open, the stop the boat and do a very long retrieve. Looked to be deadly. I've seen kind of similar tactics used for stripers out here only they use just a shad on a bare hook.

BKB

LJ3
05-07-2013, 02:06 PM
Lordy, yes, PLEASE. Anything beats what we got.

Don't hate! I is purty!

Buckrub
05-07-2013, 06:08 PM
I don't hate. I DESPISE. This pic has been up for two months. Maybe longer. Do something.

Give some bozo the slightest bit of power, and he goes nuts. Or as this pictures depicts, gets deep into the 'snuff', if you know what I mean................

Geez.

BarryBobPosthole
05-07-2013, 07:28 PM
We have a 'no bitching' rule over here in Fishing.

Post reported.

BKB

LJ3
05-07-2013, 10:45 PM
Hey! I caught that fish like, 2 weeks ago! BAN THIS MISCREANT NAYSAYER!

BBP, They've been using those umbrella rigs on the bay as long as I can remember.

BarryBobPosthole
05-08-2013, 12:44 PM
All I can think of is how much I'd cry if I lost one of those things. You could get into a $50 bait pretty quick with those. I imagine the striper fishermen use rubber minnow imitators of some sort. Load one up with crankbaits and you're talking to bucks though.

BKB

Sunshine
05-08-2013, 12:54 PM
Someone use photo shop and put both those guys side by side with a fish in their outter hand!!
Problem solved! :D

Buckrub
05-08-2013, 01:52 PM
Time and the remembrance thereof escapes me lately.

LJ3
05-08-2013, 10:07 PM
Most of the rigs I've been exposed to are variants of this theme. Color and quanitiy change but that's about it.

http://www.fishinguy.com/img/lures/umbrella%20shad%20rig.jpg

Niner
05-09-2013, 07:05 AM
FIRST OFF.......Len's pic has been up since April 25th. That's about 14 DAYS now....not all that long. Go out and fetch some fishies Bucky!

Speaking of Grady Whites.....
When my bride and I were newlyweds, back in the EARLY 80's, we lived in Virginia Beach. My Father-In-Law lived on a canal off of the Bay and had a Grady White "moored" in his back yard. If memory serves me right, I think it was about a 25 footer. Darned nice fishin' boat! He used to take us out in the bay for blue fish, flounder, and croakers. We all had some fun times.

Not long after we'd been married he took me an my new Bro-In-Law out for blue fish. It was the first time I'd been out with them. I guess he decided it'd be a good time to "test my metal". We trolling, and hooked into a pretty nice one (a bit bigger than y'all's stripers there). It was my turn to bring the fish in, so I grabbed up the rod and started working the fish. The thing is...he didn't kick the boat out of gear, and kept rolling along at trolling speed. To his surprise, I brought the fish to the boat in fairly short order....and hadn't even noticed the "trick" he was playing on me. After we got back to his place he was braggin' on me. Reckon I'd "passed" his little test of what I was made of that day. :courage:

I hadn't thought about that story in years, but the mention of Bay fishin' in a Grady White brung it back.