PDA

View Full Version : She shoots...she scores

Bwana
04-30-2013, 09:25 AM
This past Sunday I took the family out in hopes of finding 5 gobblers willing to come within shotgun range. We were partially successful.

Long story short; the first part of the morning was a bust with a couple of close calls so it was time to regroup and have some sandwiches. Though it was only 9 AM we had already been up for 6 hours and if you have ever hunted with me you learn real quickly that food is an integral part of hunting, after all you need to feed the beast if it's going to keep going all day. So after our snack it my oldest decided to sit with his sister in the same blind her and I were in earlier while the rest of us went in another direction. About a half hour later we hear two shots spaced just a second or two apart...way to quickly for two shots from a bolt action single shot .410. What happened?? We decide to head back to the pickup and here is what we see coming from the direction of the blind:

When I asked if she had shot her own turkey she proudly said she had but it wasn't the little one she was carrying, that was her brother's bird and that he was carrying her's at it was too big for her to carry!
Needless to say there was lots of smiles and laughs and story-telling that went on for a while before my wife decided to head to the blind herself while my youngest boy and I headed off in another direction. My wife never saw anything but I was able to call in 3 jakes but I wasn't ready to quit hunting yet so passed on them and given his little sister had just taken a turkey bigger then any that he had ever killed there was NO WAY the big brother #2 was going to shoot a jake so we let them walk.

After stopping in and thanking the landowner for letting us tramp around such beautiful country we headed for home and as you can see the kids took advantage of the drive home.

One last picture of the two lucky hunters. (some here might recognize the lucky turkey hunting cap)

So two down and three to go.

Thumper
04-30-2013, 09:30 AM
Cool story and congrats to all!

Captain
04-30-2013, 09:34 AM
It don't get any better than that! Wow what a lunker bird too.....
That hat sure looks familiar :D
Tell then all congrats
Take Care, Captain.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Buckrub
04-30-2013, 10:19 AM
I don't know which stories I love more..........Niner telling us he's doing great, or you showing your kids' hunting successes.

And, I figure anyone who can call a turkey in over 221,032,083 acres of complete nothingness is probably the World's Greatest!

Niner
04-30-2013, 04:10 PM
That is.....what is it the kids used to say.....totally awesome dude.

You almost had some perfect "Niner Shots" there....but them younguns was facin' the wrong way. :adoration:

Your little gal has learned early on that yer camo don't have to match to kill the big ones!!!

GOOD JOB my friend....taking the whole clan out....AND coming home with a 40% success rate, which COULD have been 80 or 100% if you guys hadn't decided to pass on the jakes (and good for y'all for passing them).

BarryBobPosthole
04-30-2013, 05:50 PM
Haha, laughing at Niner.

Bwana, those younguns know how to put meat on the table and for sure where it comes from when its there. Good job, pops!

BKB

LJ3
04-30-2013, 08:13 PM
How awesome is that? I love seeing those smiles!

I LOVE the backseat shot of them all drooling on each other. Good stuff, right there man. Thanks for sharing that with us.