PDA

View Full Version : Old stuff on the Gunflint Trail

Herb2
05-03-2013, 11:38 PM
I was listening to Science Friday this PM and heard the oldest fossil as yet found on Earth was discovered on the Gunflint trail in MN. Over 2 Billion years old, it was a sulfate reducing bacteria; the same general type that produces the "rotten egg" smell in rotten eggs, or makes sewer gas, or flatulence.

I know Posthole goes up that way from time to time, but I don't think he left it; when this particular bacterium was alive the atmosphere was mostly CO2, CH$ and H2S. Oxygen would tend to thin out these critters, but plants were just begining to use photosynthesis.

BarryBobPosthole
05-03-2013, 11:44 PM
Well, hey Skip! Good to see you post. I've been wondering about you. Finally fished Bluestem and Keith and I cussed you when we drove through just for shots and grins.

I've spent quite a bit of time on the Gunflint Trail and have fished several lakes up in the Arrowhead country. Any time you think of the word 'pre-cambrian', that land up there fits the bill to a tee. Maybe a quarter inch of topsoil and the trees spread their fingers in and on bare rock. Clear waters and northern lights. I miss it, and would love togo back but being on fish and purty country elsewhere makes a trip up there look less and less like it'll happen. I like the shield country a lot. Those glaciers must've been something.

BKB

Bwana
05-06-2013, 02:23 PM
Glad to see you back here Herb.

Stop in more often.