PDA

View Full Version : Waterproof container???

Buckrub
05-05-2013, 04:33 PM
You guys that camp, or take long fishing trips, etc...........a question.

Where do I find waterproof containers that will fit in ice chests? I want to store leftover hamburger, cheese, meats, veggies, anything that should be in an ice chest but doesn't need to get wet..........

You'd think I could google up a million of 'em.........but all I find are small containers for cell phones, etc.....(also available at Academy Sports). Lots say "airtight" and I have one of those but if the ice melts and there's lots of water, these DO leak........

Ideas????

Niner
05-05-2013, 04:53 PM
How about those gallon sized zip lock freezer bags?
I've had luck with them in the past.

Big Muddy
05-05-2013, 04:56 PM
Uhhh, ever heard of ZipLock freezer bags???....they come in quart and gallon sizes....double-bag 'em, if necessary.

Big Muddy
05-05-2013, 04:59 PM
Sorry, Niner, we were posting about the same time.

Niner
05-05-2013, 05:08 PM
Great minds thinking alike!

LW
05-05-2013, 05:25 PM
I think its called tupperware. Just put on your sundress and attend a party.

Buckrub
05-05-2013, 05:27 PM
Did I call you a name, or something? Or is it something about Oklahomans?

Have thought of bags, but I also want some hard containers. Can't find them.

BarryBobPosthole
05-05-2013, 05:28 PM
I don't know the name of it but that plasticware stuff with the four locking sides is the bomb for that kind of stuff. Comes in all shapes and sizes too.

BKB

Buckrub
05-05-2013, 05:29 PM
I have that. It works with ice.......but when the ice melts, it ultimately leaks.

LW
05-05-2013, 05:30 PM
Im telling you. Tupperware.

Buckrub
05-05-2013, 05:35 PM
Have gone all through their site.........not one word says "waterproof"

Niner
05-05-2013, 05:44 PM
Don't let the ice melt then. :)
Get yourself one of those Yetti coolers I keep seeing them advertise on the outdoorsy channels on the TV.

LW
05-05-2013, 05:45 PM
Liquid-Tight
It is important to remind customers that only products with Classic Round Seals and Clear Mate Seals are liquid-tight. If liquid is stored in containers with any other type of Seal, the containers should always be placed in an upright position.

From the tupperware site.

LW
05-05-2013, 05:45 PM
http://www.tupperware.com.au/wps/wcm/connect/aus/website/FAQ/

LW
05-05-2013, 05:50 PM
http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=18011468&RN=204&

LW
05-05-2013, 05:51 PM
Descalso stays.

Buckrub
05-05-2013, 06:04 PM
I didn't ever want him to go anywhere but the bench.

LW
05-05-2013, 06:06 PM
have you got one of those bed bath and beyond stores? they got what you want. and you wont have to wear a dress to attend.

Buckrub
05-05-2013, 06:22 PM
in Little Rock. Shipping is less than gas. I ordered a small set. If they don't work, Descalso can start for your team.

Arty
05-06-2013, 07:37 AM
We camp. Lots of food to store.
Use gallon size bags mostly.

LJ3
05-06-2013, 08:15 AM
OUr local Target carries the good grip and OXO lines of stuff.

Buckrub
05-06-2013, 09:04 AM
Thanks, Len. I don't think of Target usually, cause ours is so hard to get to.....but I'll look.

And geez, guys. I have enough sense to think of ziplock bags. I didn't ask for an alternative idea to waterproof containers. I asked where to get waterproof containers!!! I will use ziplock bags for some things, I am sure. But I want some hard waterproof containers. Some of y'all remind me of some of my former students!!! :slap

Big Muddy
05-06-2013, 09:31 AM
Well, your post asks: "Where do I find waterproof containers that will fit in an ice chest?"....and, we answered your question, very logically, I might add. ;)

Geez, boy, are we to ASSUME you're smart enough to think about ziplock bags on your own??? ;)

Buckrub
05-06-2013, 09:33 AM
No, you answered the question you wished I'd have asked.

And, yes.

Big Muddy
05-06-2013, 09:34 AM
You remind me of some of my former teachers!!! ;)

BarryBobPosthole
05-06-2013, 09:37 AM
I still think those locking plastic containers with the four tabs, one on each side, are the best thing for it. I've never had one leak on me yet. they have a gasket seal around the lip. But carry on.

BKB

Buckrub
05-06-2013, 09:42 AM
I hear you Posthole....but I'm telling you.........I have two, and put my sammiches in 'em when fishing. They SHOULD work, but when the ice melts and they sit in water, then water WILL get in them. They seal, but they are not watertight, and aren't advertised as such.

And Ed........I possibly now see what your problem might be..........maybe if you'd have listened to those teachers?????? :)

Big Muddy
05-06-2013, 09:47 AM
Hehehe.....I'm not the one with soggy sammiches!!!....mine stay dry and fresh in ziplock bags. ;)

Buckrub
05-06-2013, 09:49 AM
Yeah, but you probably have a Yeti cooler or sumpin..............us poor folks have to improvise.

Big Muddy
05-06-2013, 10:04 AM
Nope, don't own a Yeti....plain ole Igloo and Coleman coolers..........................and, lots of ziplock bags. ;)

Hey, here's an idea!!!!!....get you one of those vacuum sealers that operate on 12 volt....or, one on 110 volt, if you gotta generator.

Big Muddy
05-06-2013, 10:29 AM
12 volt is on sale at Cabelas for $99 bucks....regular price is $149....sure would beat fooling around with those bulky containers.

Cabela's Preservac Portable Vacuum Sealer

High-quality, value-loaded vacuum sealers lock in freshness and prevent freezer burn for extended food storage life. The Preservac Portable features a 12-volt adapter plug and a rear-mounted carry handle, providing on-the-go vacuum-sealing convenience. It has a 2mm seal wire and draws a 24" vacuum with 100 watts of power for solid, super-strong seals. Soft-touch locking panels keep the bags in position, while a digital display lets you adjust and monitor sealing time. Convenient cord-storage areas. Can accept bags up to 11" wide. Imported.

BarryBobPosthole
05-06-2013, 10:33 AM
Can't reseal it is the problem.

Zip loc bags, for those who aren't challenged in some weird way, work. Or maybe a zip loc bag inside a plastic sealable container, inside a hermetically sealed vault inside his $2 7-11 cooler might keep Bucky's baloney sammich dry and his chips from getting soggy.

BKB

Buckrub
05-06-2013, 11:15 AM
I have one of those already, Ed.

Good grief. I give up. One simple question.

I ask what time it is, and y'all answer "blue", or tell me that I shouldn't have asked.......... Talk about a bunch of ADD people!

Birddog
05-06-2013, 11:51 AM
Bucky, are you dead set on using "cubed" ice in the ice chest? Just a thought, I've found that this works real well for me. I save 1/2 gallon and one gallon milk jugs. Fill them damn near full and add some salt to them (about 1/4 cup per half gallon) and then shake them up to form you a bit of a brine. Toss these bad boys in your freezer and let then freeze giving them a good shake a couple of times through the freezing procces to keep the salt distributed. Once they are froze, they have your water contained so nothing gets soggy. Then you can use damn near anything you want to store your stuff in, and the brine solution will stay colder than plain old frozen water. This also work for a chiller for the live well in the heat of the summer, freeze a couple of half gallon jugs full or pure water and then just drop jug and all in when the temps get hot to keep the fishes a tad cooler.

Of course, all of this assumes you have some room in your freezer.

LW
05-06-2013, 12:02 PM
I like the milk jug idea. Can you get them in blue for bucky?

Buckrub
05-06-2013, 12:34 PM
Or pink for LW and Freese?

BIRDDOG!! Man, thought you died.

Keith, I been freezing water in bulk for 20 years. Maybe 40. Maybe some large number. I save every container I can get. The BEST ones are the cut out bottoms of cooking oil containers, cause they are thick. Also, wife drinks orange juice in "milk carton" paper containers, and I cut the tops out of those. Those are great, cause you can throw them away. The "good ones" I keep. When we clean fish at the lakes that have cleaning stations, the bulk containers not only hold the filets in the ice chest till we get home, but usually (if it ain't 100+) have some bulk ice left to put on top. The other good ones are the Walmart Flavored Water 1L bottles with top cut out. That's cause I always seem to need a smaller size bulk ice to stick in a 'hole' in the ice chest.

I have four freezers, two as part of refrigerators, a big upright, and a chest out in the shop. They've all got some kind of bulk ice in 'em.

As to keeping the bulk ice in containers without the tops cut out..........that just eats up too much room in the ice chest in the boat. Not a bad idea for camping, will think on that one. But I will start with bulk ice, either way, for SURE. But nothing is going to get cans cold except bagged ice...

The issue is camping. Can't freeze bulk ice if I camp for 5-7 days (although a lot of redneck camping fishermen that I see have a small chest in the back of their pickup, plugged in at the campsite.....the problem with that is the possession limit applies *2 day limit max*), so ultimately I'll have to go buy more bag ice.

And I will be using ziplock freezer bags for some stuff. I never said I wouldn't. But there are things I want to put into in a hard container, and if I can find waterproof ones, I'm set. I'm sure I'll have multiple ice chests, and they'll all have freezer bags of stuff, boxes of stuff, and whatever. I simply asked where to find waterproof boxes/containers, and there are those ADD types here that think I need to do everything their way only, and try to steer me towards that instead of listening to what I asked for!!! :) I didn't ask for alternative suggestions!! (just kidding, I'm always appreciative of alternative suggestions!!)

Sunshine
05-06-2013, 12:38 PM
Bucky I've bought stuff from this company and everything's worked great.
If this can keep a camera dry, food should be fine too. I'd still put them in zip-locks, because I don't know if the container material is food safe

http://www.magellans.com/medium-waterproof-pouch

Buckrub
05-06-2013, 12:43 PM
Sunny, those are nice. Academy sports has some like that in various small sizes.

But those won't hold a head of lettuce, or 5 lbs of HB meat. I would probably hold a couple days' worth of my fish catch, though.

BarryBobPosthole
05-06-2013, 01:03 PM
Well, here's one last try. THESE ARE WATERTIGHT AND AIRTIGHT. I don't care what you say. I've used them for years and this is the exact brand I buy at the local grocery store.

BKB

http://www.amazon.com/Airtight-Container-36-Piece-18-Containers-Capacity/dp/B0054PHHES

Sunshine
05-06-2013, 01:06 PM
Here's some watertight containers.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/s/ref=sr_rd_mob?rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Awatertight+containe r&keywords=watertight+container&ie=UTF8

Big Boy
05-06-2013, 06:52 PM
42 !