PDA

View Full Version : What accoutrements

quercus alba
05-11-2013, 08:13 PM
do you serve with fried fish at your house?

1) homemade tartar sauce
2) fish gravy
3) sweet potato fries
4) rice

Occasionally I like some green tomato relish. We're not big on hushpuppies. I keep light bread handy for the renegade pin bone.

BarryBobPosthole
05-11-2013, 08:23 PM
Brown beans, hush puppies, raw onion wedges, slaw, sweet tea, homemade tarter sauce, homemade hot sauce, and a bowl of the chronic rigth before dinner.

BKB

quercus alba
05-11-2013, 08:42 PM
Don't leave a lot of room for fish does it? I also prefer fish on the bone. Fillets are good but won't stack up to a whole fish. My preference in fish are white perch, bream, buffalo, bass and catfish. Never had walleye or trout nor any fresh saltwater fish.

BarryBobPosthole
05-11-2013, 08:57 PM
About the only fish I'll ever eat onthe bone any more is fiddler channels. I agree though that it adds flavor. Haven't taken a spoon to a bream and had it the old fashioned way in a long time.
BKB

LW
05-11-2013, 09:42 PM
A sucker gigged right in the head and scored every quarter inch and fried with potatoes, fried biscuits with honey bear, sliced onions, cold beer. All done on the creek bank.

quercus alba
05-11-2013, 11:24 PM
I think those fried biscuits might be more illegal than free thinking. Michelle Obama prolly has those guys with dark suits and shades headed your way right now

Buckrub
05-12-2013, 10:32 AM
If it won't filet, I don't eat it.
Corn meal and Cavenders is all that goes on it.

Fish
Hand cut french fries, skin on
fried biscuits (cheapest ones they sell, cut into fourths)
and tartar sauce is for Yankees that eat mayonnaise. Ketchup goes on fish, or about anything fried.

Can't eat onions, so that's out.

Hush puppies if I'm feeling crazily adventurous.

I do like the scaled bream in a cast iron skillet on low, little grease.......ummmmmm.....but just started holding every fish I catch and saying "Will he filet?"........because of the kids, and now grandkids. Now that's the only way I'll keep a fish. BUT, I can get good meat out of pretty small fish, with that electric knife. And the little crappie taste JUST like crappie!

LW
05-12-2013, 12:15 PM
Good fish dont need tarter sauce. But, I would ground my kid for putting ketchup on it.

Buckrub
05-12-2013, 05:12 PM
Then you ain't welcome here. My kids put ketchup on ham, sausage, hamburgers, french fries, fish, fried shoe leather, straws they pick to chew, you name it. Ketchup is as good as it gets. If you don't think so, you're too Hoity Toity for me to eat with. Sorry, that's just the way it is. I can't tell you the number of waiters I've two whom I've said "DO NOT look at me that way, I'm paying for this, bring me some ketchup". I have never, ever, come close to understanding the cultural bias against something that tastes so good. It not only floors and amazes me, it makes me laugh out loud.

LW
05-12-2013, 05:46 PM
Im not against ketchup. I love ketchup. Just not on fish. Thats wrong but it doesnt make you a bad person.

Buckrub
05-12-2013, 06:26 PM
No, but plenty of other stuff does!!!

Sunshine
05-12-2013, 07:09 PM
I like ketchup or tartar sauce with my fish! :D

My homemade batter dry mix is made with a little of that and a little of this.
Never comes out exactly the same each time, but it sure does taste good

My favorite fish is deep fried or broiled Halibut.
If we go to a restraunt I always have fish.

We eat walleye, bass and rainbow trout up here.

Haven't found a fish, in the USA, that tastes as good as the Panama Snook or red snapped.

Captain
05-12-2013, 07:24 PM
There are only TWO ways to cook fish...

Fried or Fuck it up!

Take Care, Captain

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

hotshot
05-14-2013, 09:30 AM
My fish fries include: sometimes batter dipped fish, some times meal dusted..... I use a fry Daddy.
sides: hush puppies, coleslaw, beans, green onions, sweet tater fries.salad, BEER, BEER, BEER,
I am not big on tartar sauce, but I make some for others. I prefer lemon wedges squeezed over the fish.
I skip the frying more and more, and go with pats of butter and cajun seasoning on the grill with green pepers and onions, tomatoes and sliced taters. Yummy and healthier.