PDA

View Full Version : The Luckiest Unlucky Guy You Ever Knew

Buckrub
05-18-2013, 06:04 PM
Fax me some money, dudes!

I may be the luckiest unlucky guy on Earth. Wife and I are getting ready to finally go camping tomorrow and mother calls and says "The 'service engine soon' light is on all the time" on her car. Oh my. Well, I figure camping is shot. I take it in to a local shop today and they stick the computer on it, and it's nothing more than two codes for something minor that are in history, not current.......but never were cleared. Woo hooo.....good news.

I come home, and.................

the bathroom ceiling is leaking on me.

Uh, huh? Water pouring out of it, next to the overhead a/c duct. I get a light and get up there, and my goodness gertie!!!! My a/c unit is a mess. Drain plugs are backed up, rust and wet, rusty metal pieces are everywhere. The overflow pan is eaten up and in pieces! Water is dripping through the ceiling. I turn off the a/c unit totally, and put buckets under where it is dripping.

My good buddy the a/c repair guy comes out and looks at it...............and...............well, you can guess, can't you?

Yep, a whole new unit. Totally. Everything. This one is rusted out, falling apart...........he asked when we put it in, and I can't even remember. We moved here in 1989 and it was a few years after that that we had to replace the original unit. Now it's shot. Literally rusted out to where it's coming apart in my hands. Don't know when we put this one in, but we moved here in 1989 and it was a few years after that. So this entire unit is 15-20 years old. I guess I got my money's worth, not sure how long these things should last.

Six grand, probably. He'll call with an estimate Monday. I gave him a key (good friend from church, totally trust him in my house).

So, this is the cost of a new four wheeler. Or six new deer rifles. Or a new motor for my little flatbottom, and 59 free meals and clothes for the homeless. Or two fillups of gasoline.

And I don't have any idea where I'm gonna get it. The GOOD news of course, is that how lucky I am to have this happen BEFORE I went camping.....If it had happened while we were gone, we'd have come home to a totally flooded house, and a million dollars in sheet rock repair. This way, it's just too hot to sleep tonight!

OH well. I'm going camping after church tomorrow, and I'm gonna sit under a tree and meditate for a few days. And if you need to buy some stock this week, buy it in Visa.

FooBang
05-18-2013, 06:08 PM
So, this is the cost of a new four wheeler. Or six new deer rifles. Or a new motor for my little flatbottom, and 59 free meals and clothes for the homeless. Or two fillups of gasoline.

..Or a week in Paris, business class flight included.

Buckrub
05-18-2013, 06:11 PM
Repeating what I said in the other post...............I HATE YOU.

(my only trip abroad was paid for.............so I wouldn't know!!! :))

Niner
05-19-2013, 07:05 AM
Bucky, check with your electricity provider. They might be offering low-rate loans for installation of more energy efficient HVAC unit(s).

We have zoned HVAC here, so we have two units. One for the 1st floor (main living area), and one for the upstairs (spare bedrooms and guest bathroom). They both crapped out a few years back, and at that time our EMC had a very attractive program going. Just added a little each month to our electric bill.

quercus alba
05-19-2013, 07:34 AM
Did the same thing here Conine. 5% interest on a five year loan by the power company. The heat pump just about paid for itself with lower heating and cooling cost

Buckrub
05-19-2013, 10:26 AM
Already have a heat pump.......... but thanks. Our electric provider is our city government. Cheapest electricity in N. America, but they don't do things like other elec companies!!! Whew! They provide water, sewer, electricity, cable (and VoIP phone), and garbage. Everything but natural gas.

If the stars align right, he MIGHT be done by the time we get home Thurs night. If not, it's going to be a long, hot Memorial Day weekend in this house.

Buckrub
05-19-2013, 02:48 PM
Wow........

NEXT thing....

Getting ready to leave...hooked the boat up to the wife's Tahoe. She eased down the driveway to get out of my way to hook up the trailer. Heard a noise in right trailer wheel. I thought "NO NO NO NOT BEARINGS AGAIN"........and I JUST greased it yesterday.

Nope. 3 lugnuts were halfway off. I have no clue how. Jacked it up, tightened 'em, and it's fine.

Whew.

johnboy
05-19-2013, 03:05 PM
Check the other side.

Buckrub
05-20-2013, 09:24 PM
Goober.
Did that first.

$6, 500 for central heat a/c unit..... someone throw me a rope.

Big Muddy
05-21-2013, 12:25 AM
That's not too bad of a deal, Bucky....don't know what size unit your getting, but I was quoted $9,200 for a new 4 ton heat pump for our lake house....but, that includes installation of some extra air duct work and register vents....got 3 window units that are working just fine, for right now, so I'm gonna hold on to my bling for a while longer. ;)

Hope you get your ac problem worked out.

Niner
05-21-2013, 04:35 AM
Goober.
Did that first.

$6, 500 for central heat a/c unit..... someone throw me a rope.

SO, are you saying that's the cost for the heater AND a/c, or JUST the a/c portion of the system???

If the inside box is in as bad of shape as you said (rusted out, etc), I'd imagine the outside box is about shot too.

Buckrub
05-21-2013, 02:56 PM
$6K for inside and outside...new pad...4 ton...14 SEER...heat pump.....new overflow pan....all wiring.

Big Muddy
05-21-2013, 05:35 PM
That guy is giving you a heck of a deal!!!....jump on it....and, give him a big wet kiss before he leaves!!! ;)

BTW, if your new drip pan is metal of any type, get your guy to coat the entire thing with some type of liquid rubber, silicone, or even some of that new-type spray-on rubber stuff like you see advertised on tv....it will never rust out, again....I coated mine with plain ole roofing cement....it's 25 years old, and looks just like the day I coated it and installed it.

Buckrub
05-21-2013, 08:42 PM
The pan won't be used unless it overflows. I can coat it. Good idea.