PDA

View Full Version : For Memorial Day - Best War Movies Ever

BarryBobPosthole
05-24-2013, 09:03 AM
Birddog sent this to me this morning. It is SOOOOOO wrong. Many classics are left off of here. But its a good thing to debate on a Friday before Memorial Day.

For the record, I haven't seen Hurt Locker or Path to Glory. But here's my top five and most of them aren't even on the list, which is a travesty.

BKB

1. Twelve O'Clock Hogh
2. Run Silent Run Deep
3. Bridge on the River Kwai
4. The Guns of Navarone
5. The Battle of the Bulge

http://www.foxnews.com/slideshow/entertainment/2010/03/12/greatest-war-movies-time/#slide=31

Fido
05-24-2013, 10:26 AM
What about "Saving Private Ryan".

BarryBobPosthole
05-24-2013, 10:36 AM
Its in my top ten probably but not my top five. Great movie. This is a tough one because of all of the great ones made. A Bridge Too Far is also one of my faves but wasn't on the Fox list. Along with The Thin Red Line, The Bridge at Remagen, The Big Red One, The Enemy Below, and several others. The Fox list was made by someone who's ten years old is all I can figure.
BKB

Chicken Dinner
05-24-2013, 10:39 AM
I haven't got time to rank them. I will say that my most frequently watched war movie is "The Longest Day". As much as I like the content and that I know it like the back of my hand, is the fact that it seems like literally everyone male star of the time is in it.

BarryBobPosthole
05-24-2013, 10:46 AM
And Casablanca is a fine movie, but it isn't a war movie. Stalag 17 isn't on the list, by the way. and Kelley's Heroes and MASH don't belong on there at all. Neither does The Patriot or Patton just because they were poorly done movies.

BKB

Buckrub
05-24-2013, 12:22 PM
The Longest Day?

I can't remember movie titles, or song titles.

Or where I live, sometimes.

Fido
05-24-2013, 01:30 PM
My reason for mentioning" Saving Private Ryan" was that the vetrans that particapated in the Normandy landings said the scenes were just like it happened, graphic and most bloody!

LJ3
05-24-2013, 02:06 PM
A bridge Too Far

Buckrub
05-24-2013, 06:17 PM
The one that goes to Nowhere, Alaska?

jb
05-26-2013, 05:39 PM
It's not a movie, but the best war story I've ever seen is "Band of Brothers"
I guess "To hell and back" was pretty good back when I was a kid.

quercus alba
05-26-2013, 07:35 PM
The term best war movie is kinda like Affirmative action..... an oxymoron of the highest order. Of course, I'm glad you all like them.

hotshot
05-27-2013, 07:23 PM
I really liked Glory- story of the African American civil war soldier, and Gettysburg(except for the terrible beards). My favs: Longest Day, Force 10 from Navarone, The Fightin Seabees, Clint Eastwood's IwoJima movie, Ride with The Devil is another good Civil War movie,
Take the romance stuff out of Pearl Harbor and it would have been an incredible movie.
The Green Berets was a pretty good flick, but the :jungle" looks so much like a sound stage with astro-turf and a few fake shrubs- Like it was filmed in the Brady's back yard.
Patriot was a pretty good movie, it sis just on TBS every 4th week, it lost its appeal.
Anyway- Memorial Day was cold and rainy in northern IN, so I watched several movies on AMC, and took a good nap.