PDA

View Full Version : Good day at the treasure hunt!

Thumper
05-24-2013, 09:24 PM
In Nashville now, but took a detour through Ala-damn-bama to stop at the lost luggage place. Really loaded up with small pieces to bolster my inventory for e-bay. Got a ton of the usual razors, blades and a ton of unrelated small items, then I stumbled across the mother lode! I found a stash of garage door remotes ... one of my favorite little golden nuggets as they are a VERY easy sell. Once I got 'em all gathered up, I counted SIXTY-FRIGGING-TWO of 'em! I bought 'em for $2.00 each and they'll go on e-Bay all day long for $15-$25 each. That makes for a pretty decent profit margin. Heck, I ain't gonna get rich at it, but it sure is fun and beats sitting around staring at the walls feeling sorry for myself. BTW ... we'll be home on the 2nd and I have another surgery on the 7th. Bummer. :(

BUT ... at least the treasure hunting has been fun so far. :D

Thumper
05-26-2013, 05:59 PM
I witnessed a slice of heaven today! Anybody watch American Pickers on the teevee? I spent some time in Mike & Frank's Nashville store today.

http://antiquearchaeology.com/antique_archaeology_nashville_tn.html

Big Muddy
05-27-2013, 06:30 PM
Did ya get to squeeze Danielle just a little bit???
;)

Thumper
05-27-2013, 06:55 PM
Naaaa ... she was at the Iowa store. :(

Captain
05-27-2013, 07:25 PM
Did ya get to squeeze Danielle just a little bit???
;)

She has too many tats for Thumper...
Take Care, Captain

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

BarryBobPosthole
05-27-2013, 09:24 PM
Tats? I usually only look at her...

BKB

Thumper
05-29-2013, 07:31 AM
Yep, the tats are just plain gross and I have no clue why she'd ruin that NICE body like that ... but to each his (or her) own. :(

That said, she seems like she'd be super cool to hang out with.

Thumper
06-04-2013, 07:43 AM
I love capitalism! We're home and settled in, now it's time to get back to the daily routine. Sunday I started listing some of the remotes I purchased while on vacation. (as Edward would say ... DAYUM!) They were flying off the shelves so fast I didn't have time to get many posted onto e-Bay! Due to my upcoming surgery, I'm using today as my cut-off for listing so they'll all be closed by time I go into surgery. So, in other words, I've just scratched the surface.

I TOLD youse guys these things are hot sellers! I made $415.15 the first day and only depleted less than 1/3 of my inventory. Sure, I ain't gonna get rich, but it's a nice little supplement to my now meager income. Not bad for a day's work without getting up from my desk! This month I'm getting hit hard! Property taxes are due at the end of the month ... I have a huge dental bill from a couple weeks ago and we had the little mini-vacation/getaway that we need to pay for. The plus side, I'm having fun at this e-Bay thing and feel like I'm doing something productive, so it's a win-win for me.

Here's the load I dropped off at the Post Office yesterday afternoon. I already have 6 packages here to go out today that sold last night .. not sure what the final count will be by this afternoon. The last time I did this, I purchased 30-35 remotes and they sold in 1 1/2 weeks. The next time I basically struck out and only found 6-7 ... so they sold out in a day. This time I hit the mother lode with 62 units and have sold 26 since Sunday afternoon.

Anyway, I'm through listing until after my surgery ... so things should slow down a bit from here on out. Dang! I was just starting to have fun. :(

(Yesterday's Post Office run)

HideHunter
06-04-2013, 08:49 AM
Brain fart... I'm sure you've explained it - why the market for remotes? congrats on a big score.

Thumper
06-04-2013, 09:12 AM
No clue HideyHole. An antique dealer in town gave me the tip one day at an estate sale. I was chatting with him, explained my situation and told him I simply like to pick up small items that I can resell and not have to hassle with complicated shipping, etc. He told me it really didn't fit into his business, so he doesn't fool with them, but if I run across any garage door remotes, they're an easy sell and are small, so they ship easily. As luck would have it, that was about a week before a little vacation Lynn and I took. During that trip, we visited a resale outlet that disposes of lost luggage (mostly from the airlines) and I stumbled upon 30-35 remotes for $2 each. I hoped the antique dealer knew what he was talking about and bought every one they had. I ended up clearing about $600 in a week and a half. I have no clue why people travel with their garage door remotes, but I'm glad they do! Now, any trip we plan in the Southeast, we always work in a day trip to stop by the place. I load up with TONS of "smalls" at a bargain (besides the remotes) .. then return home and sell them on e-Bay. It's tough getting by on disability alone, so this is a fun way to supplement my income. When all is said and done, I'll make about $1100 profit on these buggers and I could probably sell them all within a week or two. Heck, I sold 20 of them just yesterday!

Thumper
06-04-2013, 09:17 AM
Oh, my other "specialty" is razors. I get them by the truck load at that place. Heck, EVERYONE travels with a razor!

(my record sale so far was $185 for one razor ... I paid under a penny for it) :D

Some are worth thousands, believe it or not ... but I seriously doubt anybody would travel with one as a daily "user". :(

HideHunter
06-05-2013, 09:10 AM
Good for you. The only thing I've ever heard of is they had a rash of burglaries in the Quad Cities a few years ago where the thieves were driving around punching openers until a garage door opened.. Maybe you're garage door "pusher". ;)

Buckrub
06-05-2013, 09:45 AM
They don't need to do that. You can get a unit that is basically a rheostat, and drive around turning the dial on that thing and see which doors open.

Also, just FYI.......I bought 8 locks at Lowe's yesterday all keyed alike. But the deal is, they come in packages of four. There were about 8 packages to a 'box' of these, sold individually. Every key in that entire box had the same key code. So mine were all keyed alike, but the same key for every other one in that box works my locks too, whoever bought them!!!!!

HideHunter
06-05-2013, 10:37 AM
See the new gizmo the car thieves have come up with? Opens *some* cars electronically. Brand new and cops, car manufacturers and security people are stumped as to what it is.