PDA

View Full Version : Too close for comfort

BarryBobPosthole
05-30-2013, 09:54 PM
Tornado really close to where TDP lives right now and a big one it sounds like ripping Broken Arrow pretty good as well. That one hit just a few miles east of where my daughter is working.
Bumpy night indeed. Hope folks had their eyes peeled and got to shelter there.
BKB

Sunshine
05-30-2013, 10:11 PM
I don't know about living in tornado areas.

I think I'll keep my rain and possible future earthquake, compared to those tornados.

Sure hope everyone is ok.

Buckrub
05-31-2013, 01:19 PM
We had a heck of a haint blow throuu yesterday at farm PacPacking to head home.

johnboy
05-31-2013, 01:36 PM
After seeing the damage from any size tornado (and they seem to be getting more frequent and more destructive) I have to wonder why there isn't, or doesn't seem to be anyway, more emphasis on designing and building better wind proof houses.

If I lived in an area that regularly gets hit by tornadoes, I'd want a house that has a better chance of staying in one place when the wind blows (dome shaped, underground, whatever).

BarryBobPosthole
05-31-2013, 01:56 PM
The problem is that the odds are very small that you'll get hit by a tornado, even if you live in tornado alley. Its those same odds that cause people to live in trailer homes in tornado alley, or cheap block homes in hurricane areas, or homes on steep hillsides in mudslide country, or homes that fall down in earthquakes. And (with tongue firmly in cheek, Sunshine) people that live under a big friggin volcano and say they'd never live anywhere as risky as tornado country. the facts are, everyone believes it'll never happen to them. and that's just the way it is.

I have been thinking of a safe room, not necessarily for tornadoes but for fire protection of some of our stuff too. I have a good spot for one and the above ground ones are just as good as the below ground ones.
I just have to take the money out of my new truck fund to do it and I am hesitant to do that. (just like everyone else that thinks they won't get hit)

BKB

johnboy
05-31-2013, 02:15 PM
Tornadoes, earthquakes, hurricanes, floods, firestorms are all natural events that happen with some regularity in certain areas. Living on the west coast, specifically Vancouver Island, the chance of a serious earthquake is pretty good and the building codes reflect that possibility. There has been work underway for years to upgrade all public buildings, especially schools, to withstand the quake that we all know is coming (just not when). It's like buying insurance - a waste of money until you need it.

I know for a fact that I would build a house that would have a chance of surviving whatever disaster is prevalent in my area or just not live there. You would think that insurance companies would offer better rates for 'hardened' houses as an incentive.

Buckrub
05-31-2013, 02:26 PM
Ain't y'all ever heard of a storm shelter? ?? Geez. .

And...what Posthole said.

And.....nothing man ever made would survive a direct hit by an F5.

johnboy
05-31-2013, 02:59 PM
I'm not thinking about storm shelters. I'm thinking 'house'. Geez yourownself. Think outside the box. People keep building the same way and are surprised when the same thing happens. Definition of insanity - doing things the same way and expecting different results. You would survive a direct hit by an F5 if you built underground.

LJ3
05-31-2013, 04:06 PM
The problem is that the odds are very small that you'll get hit by a tornado, even if you live in tornado alley. Its those same odds that cause people to live in trailer homes in tornado alley, or cheap block homes in hurricane areas, or homes on steep hillsides in mudslide country, or homes that fall down in earthquakes. And (with tongue firmly in cheek, Sunshine) people that live under a big friggin volcano and say they'd never live anywhere as risky as tornado country. the facts are, everyone believes it'll never happen to them. and that's just the way it is.

I have been thinking of a safe room, not necessarily for tornadoes but for fire protection of some of our stuff too. I have a good spot for one and the above ground ones are just as good as the below ground ones.
I just have to take the money out of my new truck fund to do it and I am hesitant to do that. (just like everyone else that thinks they won't get hit)

BKB

If you put a little more money in the truck fund, you put a supercharger on the Tundra. Or a performance chip at the least. Then you can drive like Bo Duke and outrun any bad weather. And chicks dig it.

Sunshine
05-31-2013, 05:08 PM
The only thing I'll be getting, from that volcano, is ash and that's only if the wind is blowing in my direction.

As for Seattle and all those towns, around and below it, they will be destroyed.

I just hope it don't blow, while I'm at a trial, when I'm over there.
One agility arena is right at the base of it!!!

As for tornado areas, I'd only live in an underground house that has one side exposed.
That way you have big concrete electrical door close, in front of the exposed side, when a tornado is heading your way.

BarryBobPosthole
05-31-2013, 07:41 PM
Just talked to my son and he has a big one bearing down on him and is headed to his cellar with his dog.
BKB

Captain
05-31-2013, 07:59 PM
Let us know something Posty...

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

BarryBobPosthole
05-31-2013, 08:23 PM
He's in Yukon and has a good cellar and he's in it. Yukon is getting hammered right now and more to west headed their way.
Sadly, it looks like Moore is in the crosshairs again too.
BKB

Captain
05-31-2013, 08:26 PM
That is bad! Moore has had enough.

Hope everyone stays safe out that way
Take Care, Captain

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Niner
05-31-2013, 08:48 PM
Watching the reporting on FOX News. Looks pretty hairy.

BarryBobPosthole
05-31-2013, 08:56 PM
Dan is good. The worst appears to be past him now.
BKB

Buckrub
05-31-2013, 09:27 PM
We just got home. No internet or cable TV at the farm. Just turned on TV.

Prayers for all. Doesn't look good.........

BarryBobPosthole
05-31-2013, 09:43 PM
There are tornados everywhere literally from south of Okie City all the way up I 44 into Illinois across the river from St Louis. Right now i'm watching where there are two, maybe three tornadoes that are up and down and look to be pretty small headed straight towards where Birdog's parents and family lives. They live in a little town called Chelsea if you're watching the weather channel.
Haven't seen a night like this aince 1975 I don't think and I managed to run from one on a Saturday in Stillwater Oklahoma that I saw from a block away right into another one on Sunday in South Tulsa that missed me by a few miles.
Y'all keep a hand out for KeithBob.
BKB

Buckrub
05-31-2013, 09:50 PM
El Reno is where we always stopped for gas on the way to antelope hunt. It's a long FULL tank from Conway. Rolling hills, nine trees, that's it.

I suspect these will get here sometime, if cooling doesn't dissipate them first.

BarryBobPosthole
05-31-2013, 10:22 PM
Wheat country. And it waves. And it sure smells sweet.

Those storms up in Birddogs old hometown fell apart thank goodness.
BKB