PDA

View Full Version : Propane connection question

Buckrub
06-01-2013, 10:05 PM
What is the easiest way????

I have an old, and I mean OLD, little one burner outdoor LP thingy........the closest thing I can find is like this:
http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_10051_27743_-1__?N=578846088&Ntt=fish+cooker&Ntk=All

BUT, mine is heavier metal, old and rusty, but about that size. Welded legs, flat top to set a skillet or fish pot on to fry fish, or fry anything. I used it years ago, and folks called it my "Bunsen Burner"....it hissed like crazy.........but it got the job done. If necessary I'll take a pic of it.

Anyway..........the hose long since rotted away.......and there it sat for years. Now that we're camping, it'd be nice to be hook up a 20 lb LP tank (of which I have a bunch sitting around) and cook outside. So I go to Lowe's and get a hose and adapter. Like this:
http://www.lowes.com/pd_83559-451-4384658_0__?productId=3044329&Ntt=lp+tank+hose&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dlp%2Btank%2Bhose&facetInfo=

(Y'all with me? :))

The end that connects to tank is fine. But the end that connects to the old cooker is too big. I think it's 3/8"......it's a male end, and the underneath built-in part of the cooker is threaded. There's no orifice, as such.

I probably should have chunked it and got a unit like the one above, but I already got the hose and adapter, and........well, odd as it sounds......the cooker has some sentimental value to me....and my wife. And seems if I had some kind of adapter/reducer, it'd work.

Or would it?? And where to get such a device? Plumbing supply house, maybe???

LW
06-01-2013, 10:19 PM
Drive it down to your local propane or hardware store and have them piece it together. I do that kind of stuff all the time. Luckily, I have a propane/ hardware store that has everything. You just need the right reducer coupling.

Big Muddy
06-02-2013, 12:16 AM
Post a pic....I gots tons of old LP fittings and junk....prolly got just what you need for free....if thats too pricey, I'll knock off another 20%. ;)

Arty
06-02-2013, 07:38 AM
Take a look around this site
http://www.rvpartsmarket.com/LP-Hoses_c_193.html

Buckrub
06-02-2013, 10:30 AM
Arty,

Here it is. Very dirty. And I plan to paint with high temp black............but...

first is upside down. This is where the hose screws in:

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk131/Buck7088/cooker1_zps39836087.jpeg (http://s279.photobucket.com/user/Buck7088/media/cooker1_zps39836087.jpeg.html)

Sideview........from top. You can see sticker says it was made by Bigway Products........probably in 1811.

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk131/Buck7088/cooker2_zpsa1037bb0.jpeg (http://s279.photobucket.com/user/Buck7088/media/cooker2_zpsa1037bb0.jpeg.html)

Top view:

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk131/Buck7088/cooker3_zps15f6ca26.jpeg (http://s279.photobucket.com/user/Buck7088/media/cooker3_zps15f6ca26.jpeg.html)

Big Muddy
06-02-2013, 10:56 AM
From your pic, looks like all you need is a male sleeve to hook up the female hose end to the female burner end.

While you're at it, check out the orifice. If its rusted beyond use, a standard grease alemite works just fine. Just remove the little spring-loaded ball from it, and you're good to go.

Captain
06-02-2013, 11:47 AM
What Eddie said.

That is a stout built unit and certainly worth saving/restoring. Don't look to be a big deal. Load it up and take it to a hardware they will have the fittings.
I can smell the crappie cooking now!
Take Care, Captain

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Arty
06-02-2013, 12:35 PM
Ditto on what cappy said. I wouldn't buy a new piece of junk when you've got that thing

I can see that drawing some eyes when you set it up at a campground.

Buckrub
06-02-2013, 05:18 PM
??

The hose end (at that end) is male. Maybe I got the wrong type hose. I thought they were standard.

As usual, I'm confused.

Hardware stores are hard to come by these days. I was in a real doozy last week in small town America (DeWitt)........small, but had two of everything. They could fix it.......IF I was back there. But I'll find one here somewhere.

I'll get it fixed......I'm determined to use it. I used it for 20 years.........

Niner
06-02-2013, 06:15 PM
Where's the "old rotted out" hose? If the end is still intact, that should give the "can I help you" guy/gal a good head start. I am guessing it has long since gone with the wind. SO, your next best bet is to clean the cobwebs off of it and take it with you to Lowes (outstanding customer service around here), or to the ACE Hardware or somesuch.....along with that new hose.

I do not think it is going to be rocket science to get that old rascal in ship shape in short order!

Buckrub
06-02-2013, 06:21 PM
In the black abyss of never never land, Niner.

As for your last suggestion, that's persackly what I'm going to do. Or possibly a plumbing supply house we have. Nope, not gonna be too hard..........even for me!!!

Niner
06-02-2013, 06:23 PM
OR...give them a call in the morning!!! Maybe they've got an old timer there that know what ya need for that rascal.

http://www.bigway.com/~bigway96/propane-fittings-guide

Customer Service Rather than try to sort through documentation and charts, call us and let us guide you to the product you need, or perhaps help you determine where your troubles lie within your propane system. No email, messaging or phone system. Just a live, friendly person to help and guide you through your needs and requirements. Call and let us be your guide. 318-792-5050 Monday - Friday 8AM-5PM CST

Niner
06-02-2013, 06:52 PM
I'll betcha need one of these...
http://www.bigway.com/~bigway96/propane-parts-products#!/~/category/id=2597367&offset=0&sort=nameAsc

and one of these....
http://www.bigway.com/~bigway96/propane-parts-products#!/~/category/id=2597358&offset=0&sort=nameAsc

OR....one of these animals....
http://www.bigway.com/~bigway96/propane-parts-products#!/~/category/id=2597365&offset=0&sort=nameAsc

I gots no idea what the size is that is on your cooker....but it sounds like it is smaller than 3/8"...which seems to be the "standard" nowadays. So one of those reducers of the appropriate size, and then one of those double male adapters (3/8 to 3/8???) to connect your hose to....OR....one of those Reducing Bushings...and you'll be in bidness for less than $10-$20.

There again.....call these jokers tomorrow morning and see if they can't fix ya up.

Sunshine
06-03-2013, 10:31 AM
So did you get it fixed Bucky?

Big Muddy
06-03-2013, 02:00 PM
So did you get it fixed Bucky?

ATTACH=CONFIG]1186[/ATTACH][

Sunshine
06-03-2013, 02:21 PM
Lol haven't heard, maybe he went BOOM!!!! :D

Buckrub
06-03-2013, 06:28 PM
Sidetracked today. Bigger fish to fry (I crack myself up).

Deal with it later this week

Niner
06-04-2013, 11:19 AM
So.....did ya give the Bigway folks a call today (318-792-5050)???
What'd they say??

Thumper
06-04-2013, 06:16 PM
Cool! I'd hang onto that thing also. It looks like it actually has some heft to it. Like us old farts like to say these days, "They just don't make 'em like that anymore!"

Buckrub
06-04-2013, 07:44 PM
HA! Typical.

I got the adapter I needed a Lowe's, but it took two parts. Still no big deal.
Take it home, plug it up, all is good.............and the DANG OTHER END won't fit. And that's the two parts that Lowe's sales guy sold me ... "This is what you need to connect to tank". Same issue....the hose is a 1/4" male and the back end of the regulator that screws onto the tank threads is 3/8!!! So, back for another 1/4 to 3/8 adapter. BUT THIS TIME, I am going to go get those two pieces that I was sold, take them to Plumbing and say "This is what you sold me. Make this fit onto a 20 lb tank. I'm waiting"....

:)

Buckrub
06-06-2013, 05:20 PM
OK, got this done. But it took an act of congress.

Remember, the end that didn't fit was the end that goes to my fish cooker. I understand buying a packaged hose and it not fitting because I had no idea the I.D. of the connection on the cooker. So I had no problem going back and getting what I needed.

However, the other end is another matter. Lowe's sold me the hose AND the tank connector, and said it would fit together. It wouldn't. They are both made by same company, and in packages right next to each other. I took two NEW packages back to plumbing and asked the lady why these didn't fit? She didn't know. I asked what it would take to make them fit? She didn't know.

I told her that Lowe's suggested this as a solution, and Lowe's told me it would fit, and so long as she had Lowe's on her shirt, she could figure it out. She did, but she was frustrated as I was with the guy that sold these two things to me claiming it would work. I told her she needed to be equally upset with the company that makes these two parts that clearly are made to go together, but she was welcome to be upset with both.

She ended up having to rip open the exact two items I bought and fumble around to find two pieces (of COURSE it required two pieces, there wasn't any single piece that would reduce it!) that would make it work. She finally did, and I got it. I thought I had a regulator (still do, still looking)........but other than that, and some pipe thread and a wrench, I finally have this thing ready to go. I need to pressure wash it and paint it with high heat spray black...........

I swear. Why is every little thing so hard anymore?

Thumper
06-06-2013, 05:40 PM
I swear. Why is every little thing so hard anymore?

One word: "BUCKRUB" :D

Buckrub
06-06-2013, 05:51 PM
I guess.

But I don't know how anyone else would have done it any differently.

Big Muddy
06-06-2013, 05:54 PM
Ummm, I told you that I had exactly what you needed in my shop---for free!!!....you never responded, so there ya go. ;)

Buckrub
06-06-2013, 06:04 PM
Dang. You know what? I thought that was Arty that posted that.

Senility.

Well, send me an adjustable regulator for the 20% off, and I'm finally good to go. Sorry I didn't read well.

Niner
06-06-2013, 06:51 PM
This hose you posted the other day has a regulator on it.
http://www.lowes.com/pd_83559-451-4384658_0__?productId=3044329&Ntt=lp+tank+hose&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dlp%2Btank%2Bhose&facetInfo=

Big Muddy
06-06-2013, 07:03 PM
I noticed that, too, Niner, and was wondering why he said he needed a regulator.

Buckrub
06-06-2013, 09:23 PM
Hmmmm.

No, they sold me two items. One is this:
http://www.lowes.com/pd_361433-743-330803_0__?Ntt=acme+nut&UserSearch=acme+nut&productId=3654290&rpp=32
and the other I can't even find on their website. It's a "Benzomatic 5' propane hose'.........no regulator....3/8 in flanged end and 3/8 inch male threaded end only. I thought I had a regulator. I still think I do. If so, just plug it in. But making those two items fit together as promised was not possible.

I shoulda bought the hose with the regulator, but it was more, and I'd still have had to make the fish cooker end work with a couple of adapters.

Thumper
06-06-2013, 09:42 PM
Dang, a few months ago I threw away 3-4 regulators collected from old gas grills I'd thrown out over the years. I'm a bit of a packrat and couldn't stand the thought of throwing a grill away that had a good regulator/hose hangin' on it. I was cleaning out a drawer on my workbench to make room for sumpin' else and decided I'd never need those regulators.

Niner
06-06-2013, 09:43 PM
*Sigh*....and after I went to all the trouble to look up the Bigway phone number.

Buckrub
06-06-2013, 09:46 PM
Bigway probably has what I wanted, but they don't sell the actual device anymore, just fittings. So I'd have had to describe what I wanted rather than 'hands on' at Lowes. But I appreciate it!!!!

Captain
06-06-2013, 09:46 PM
Don't know what to think of a man that will spend a zillion bucks on a new camper and worry about 5 more bucks for a hose WITH a regulator attached. :D
Take Care, Captain

Niner
06-07-2013, 07:29 AM
I'll bet a dollar to a doughnut that IF you can find that "old school" regulator something won't be correct.
IMHO I'd say you should truck back down to the Lowes and exchange that tank-end thingy for a hose/regulator that will fit between the 20# tank and the adapter(s) on the cooker.

But...that's just me. I'm kindof funny when it comes to being around pressurized flammable/explosive gas.

Buckrub
06-07-2013, 07:32 AM
Bought the hose BEFORE I went crazy and bought the camper.

But maybe Niner is right. Probably is. Either way, it's close to being workable.

Niner
06-07-2013, 08:00 AM
You ARE going to post pics of the cooker working after you get it all cleaned up and panted and stuff......right?

I've got a little (little being the key work here) cooker that a bought at a yard sale not long before I got sick. STILL haven't used it yet. I have big plans to catch some of the catfish in my pond and fry them babies up. BUT that's still in the "planning stages"....HA.

Big Muddy
06-07-2013, 09:18 AM
Don't know what to think of a man that will spend a zillion bucks on a new camper and worry about 5 more bucks for a hose WITH a regulator attached. :D
Take Care, Captain

CAP, AMEN, AMEN, AND, OH YEAH, AMEN!!! Why are even the simple things, always so complicated for poor Bucky??? Four pages of posts over a $5 dollar fix!!! ;)

Here's a thought....load up your cooker and parts, including propane tank, cooking oil and some crappie fillets....drive to Lowes....get one of their shopping carts....load everything in their cart....enter store and go to plumbing dept....spread all your junk out on the aisle floor....tell them you'll cook fish for them, if they can get your cooker operating.

Let us know how that works out for you ;)

Buckrub
06-07-2013, 10:18 PM
I'm wondering why I talk to you guys. I don't have to bring all this up. I coulda just cooked fish silently. Do y'all not have anyone family wise to make fun of?

Niner
06-07-2013, 11:17 PM
just tryin' to help a brotha.

Sunshine
06-07-2013, 11:50 PM
Just happens to be your week, to take it in the shorts Bucky. Besides, keeps them from picking on me!!!
We love ya! :D
Too bad non of them live close enough to help you, when problems arise.
We have a lot of well rounded, educated people here!! Lots of trades!!

Buckrub
06-09-2013, 06:37 PM
Told ya I had a regulator.

Have an even OLDER fish cooker, two burner......been sitting out behind the garage for years. I remember that's where the regulator was. I bought a hose for it, with regulator. But it was too rusty to make work, or was over my pay grade to do so. So I set it out there, but the hose was new at the time, never used.

I just took it off and used it. It is too short for my tastes being next to propane and a fire (about 2 feet long!!), and it didn't have the same end on it, but I used 3 of the 4 pieces I bought and patched it together, tightened it down, and Voila! I just added it to the 5 foot hose I bought, and now I have a 'new' 7 foot hose, connected to fish cooker, regulator inline, and an LP connector, all ready to go.

Now I just need to pressure wash this old thing, and paint it with High Temp black, and I'm gonna make some noise when cooking at a campsite!!!!!

Thumper
06-09-2013, 06:45 PM
Ummm, it may be a bit on the late side to ask, but .... you DO know about Teflon Tape ... correct?

Technically, you're supposed to use the yellow stuff, but for what you're doing, the white should work fine. (and I ASSUME you know which direction to wind it!) It's not like you are going to have to pass inspection or anything. If you have any pipe dope lying around, that would be even better I would think. Hit those connections with a bit of soapy water when you get 'em pressured up ... or ... well ... scroll back to the pic Edward posted on page one! :D

BTW ... that is one cool looking cooker ... good for you for hanging onto it and breathing new life into it.

Buckrub
06-09-2013, 07:37 PM
Yeah, I have some somewhere, but it's on the list. I just put everything together to see if it'd fit. That's why it isn't tested yet.

I do know some things, regardless of what y'all think.

I wish I could get the old two burner working, but it's pipes are so rusty if I work on 'em, they'll bust through. Besides, I have a new one that works here at home. But yeah, this one is something my late Father in Law gave me, and it means a lot to me. I used it for many years camping and fishing..........and then set it aside. Lost the hose, etc. But now I'm back in business, or almost. I'll post pics of it after I get it painted.