PDA

View Full Version : Well.....Today's the 4th of June...

Niner
06-04-2013, 12:17 PM
Looks like I missed it by a day.
Ed, was yesterday another sleepy, dusky, delta day?

I always did like this song. It's got a haunting sound to it.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/tR97ITFD76M?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Big Muddy
06-04-2013, 12:42 PM
Sleepy, dusty, and hotter than two rats, screwing inside a wool sock!!! ;)

johnboy
06-04-2013, 03:46 PM
I always thought Bobbie was some hot stuff! Oh yeah, loved that song too. Thanks.

Bwana
06-04-2013, 03:54 PM
Have always loved that eerie tune but don't recall every seeing Miss Bobbie before, she was purdy.

Thumper
06-04-2013, 06:10 PM
Man-o-man does that song bring back memories! I was in high school and actually living in Mississippi at the time. That song was the major topic of conversation back in the day. What WAS she and Billie Joe throwing off that bridge anyway? The main thought was they were breaking up and she threw her ring in the river and Billie Joe killed himself the next day ... but there were a zillion guesses among the speculation. I don't think Bobbie Gentry ever told what it was.

I remember one weekend a group of us were partying and downing a few beers when someone suggested we go up to Choctaw Ridge and take a stroll across that ol' bridge. We headed up to Greenwood (the bridge was a couple miles outside of town) and had a few beers while standing in the middle of the dang thing. The days were obviously MUCH simpler back then. Nowadays we'd prolly get arrested! I remember I was in the Army in beautiful S.E. Asia when an old h/s buddy (who was with us that day) wrote me and told me that old bridge collapsed and they were gonna build a new one. That had to be the VERY early 70's ... not sure persactly. So, I can say I'm one of the few people in the world who stood with some buddies and drank a few beers on that bridge (the original one). ;)

Great song. Thanks for helping the ol' memory banks kick in there Mr. Niner!