PDA

View Full Version : I have officially joined the membership of the Critically Insane

Buckrub
06-04-2013, 09:27 PM
I have no idea why I do things. But clearly, no rational person would make the decisions that I do.

Many of you have met me. Obviously, you that have done so can testify first hand that I am not a rational human being.

But Mama now loves me beyond words.

Maybe it was the anniversary of her Mother's death in 2010. Maybe the lakes are just too flooded to fish. I don't know what it was. But boy did I pull a big trigger.

Background:

Mama has spent 42 of our 43 years begging me to "go camping". She didn't know what she was asking, I thought. You got to park 'em, insure 'em, feed 'em, haul 'em, buy stuff for 'em, pull 'em, ad nauseum. Hampton Inns are cheaper. Cleaner. Not as good a breakfast, but GOOD.

Then we got that Popup in February. Sort of fell into my lap. Looking back, I might have paid too much for it, but only cause the 'book' says it ain't worth much, being a 2000 model. I didn't pay much total. And we finally got to use it 2 weeks ago (was it that long?). I sort of knew then what was going on. Mama was having a BALL! To be honest, I was too. Away from everything, birds chirping, big steaks on the grill, sleep when you want, smooch all day, sit in those zero-gravity chairs she bought and do nothing. I love doing nothing (not for long, but it's great for a while). I could see it coming.

The popup was, and is, fine. It didn't leak in the bad storms. It was comfortable. You need to cook outside mostly, and no bathroom, but we worked it out. It was great. We enjoyed it.

But boy........we had to work our old butts off to get it set up, cranked up (and down), haul stuff in and out, store stuff in every nook and cranny. Not a complaint, we did it, and it worked. But I knew she was gonna like it enough to want to do it an easier way. And she did. She starts looking at big ones.

And...........well, two things happened that made it possible and more desirable, and I can't get into it all here........but I will at some point. I guess I had an ulterior motive. But here I was......owing everyone on the planet big dollars, including the government, and looking at big campers. Was (am) I crazy? Yeah, probably. But again, there seemed to be a way, a path, and a new reason to get one. Again, more on that in a few weeks.

So we research the fool out of 'em.....online. We make charts, this, that........and decide on what we (she!!) wants most. Room for grandkids to sleep if we go there, or they come here. Light enough that we don't have to buy a new pickup. And we find several, and Monday we decided to go look at a few at several different dealerships. And at the last one, they have both of our top choices in stock. We look, and talk, and wiggle, and squirm............and we find out (no surprise to me) that we have the highest credit score they've ever seen (comes from owing a million dollars and making payments on time!!!), and we find the one of our dreams, and it's less than $200 a month financed.......and we might have the money to pay it off in a few months (more on that someday later), and we just said BAM!!! BAM!!!!!!

I lost my mind. WHOOSH. It went out the window.

We traded in the popup. We coulda sold it this time of year, but they offered a good tradein for it. And they're throwing in distribution hitch, sway bars, etc etc...... and we pick it up tomorrow!!

Forest River is the manufacturer. Grey Wolf line. Probably an 'entry' line but well appointed, has every single thing we want in a travel trailer, and is new. As of today its' insured, and the popup is cleaned out and hooked up and ready to go get this one tomorrow. We ALMOST bought another one, and asked several times if this model was available, and the guy kept saying "no, we don't have that one". We went back one last time and were looking at it, and I backed off to get a view of it in its entirety and looked behind me, and there was the model that we wanted and the guy said he didn't have. He ended up selling it to us for the same price............and that's where we are.

Cable guys are coming tomorrow to move the aerial cable TV cable up higher so I can get it in the driveway. It MIGHT FIT and still leave me room to get the boat in and out, that's a major issue and I won't know till tomorrow how that plays out. And I need to get an electrician to put me in a 30 amp circuit so I can hook it up in driveway when kids are here.....but at least it'll be here tomorrow.

Last thing I have to figure out is Direct TV for the trailer (and also for the farm house), in a 'carry out' version. I think I know how to do it, but still not sure, and can't find an 'expert' on it. I would have thought these Travel Trailer Dealers would know, but they don't.....at least the three we talked to. But I'll figure that out. Not going to miss the Cardinals while camping.

So, that's it. Truly lost my mind. But Mama is happier than a dead pig in the sunshine.

Here's a few pics we took of it on the lot.

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk131/Buck7088/RV/GreyWolf1_zpsa5303a21.jpeg (http://s279.photobucket.com/user/Buck7088/media/RV/GreyWolf1_zpsa5303a21.jpeg.html)

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk131/Buck7088/RV/GW2_zps2bc443b2.jpeg (http://s279.photobucket.com/user/Buck7088/media/RV/GW2_zps2bc443b2.jpeg.html)

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk131/Buck7088/RV/GW3_zps16335517.jpeg (http://s279.photobucket.com/user/Buck7088/media/RV/GW3_zps16335517.jpeg.html)

Dennis
06-04-2013, 09:47 PM
Welcome to the club Bucky, fine looking trailer now you need to come tour B.C. and we can have a visit.

Buckrub
06-04-2013, 09:49 PM
I'd LOVE to.

You sure they'd let me in???

LJ3
06-04-2013, 09:56 PM
Very cool Bucky! I'm happy for you.

I had a buddy that had a gray wolf on some lake property and that thing took tremendous abuse and always did well.

I hope you guys have a great time with it!

Arty
06-04-2013, 10:17 PM
Hahahahaha.... AWESOME... I have a popup for the same reason you got one. Mama wanted one

You a good man. Enjoy.

I can't believe how much I love camping now. I'm trying to wiggle into every weekend I can find.

Thumper
06-04-2013, 10:37 PM
Cool beans man! This may sound silly, but I really like that diamond plate stone guard on the lower leading edge of that thing. That area really takes some abuse if you pull them around much.

I'm wondering what that salesman was up to. (??) I mean, they have frigging inventory sheets. I can't imagine going in and asking for something they have in stock ... only to be told they don't have one and lead you to something else. I'm wondering if he's working with another party on that one and was trying to grab BOTH deals. Who knows? .... but sumpin' smells there.

BUT ... you got it anydamnway! Congrats ... and have fun!

I know what you're saying about the credit thing. It's silly as hell isn't it? I haven't worked for 3 1/2 years, am barely scraping by on SSD and my credit score is somewhere just this side of Jupiter! Funny story ... a month or so ago, I decided to get a Walmart Credit Card because they have a deal where, if you use the card to buy THEIR gas, you get a 15 cent/gal. discount. Heck, they're ALREADY the cheapest gas in town, close to the house and we buy our gas there anydamnway ... so it was a no-brainer. When I applied for the "instant credit" the gal was reading me all the particulars and when she got to the interest rate, she spewed off something like a bazillion % compounded hourly ... or some such drivel. I don't care, I pay the full balance anyway. Then she hesitated, had a puzzled look on her face and said, "Ooops, nevermind all that ... it looks like YOUR interest rate is (some super low rate)." She then apologized and said in all her time there, she'd never seen anybody with my credit rating and she spewed off the rates without even looking at the paperwork! I have to assume those Walmartians we see in our e-mails all have Wally World credit cards! ;)

Anyway, you and Mama have fun with that new camper!

Buckrub
06-04-2013, 11:02 PM
Arty, I can't imagine camping, or fishing, on weekends. That's for the Unwashed Bourgouis. I go on Mondays.

Thump, he was looking at his inventory sheet, and this one had just come rolling in, wasn't on it yet. So rather than walk the whole lot, he just relied on his sheet. I did find it cheaper elsewhere (meaning, in some far flung state), but it is good to buy locally. I'm sure I paid some bit more to do so, but we in small states do that all the time, anyway. He was older than I am, and had 'shaky hands' and not in good health.........but a nice guy. No pressure of any kind.

And my "super low interest rate" ain't zero..........and it ain't as low as the banks PAY ME for a savings account, so pardon me for being unimpressed! Dang crooks.

Sure hope it fits in the driveway........and I can get my boat out. I'd hate to have to go camping every time I wanted to fishing!!!! :lmao

Chicken Dinner
06-04-2013, 11:27 PM
Man, that looks nicer than my apartment in college. Me, I've been going the opposite direction with my camping and got a backpack for Christmas and a 1-man tent for my birthday.

jb
06-05-2013, 08:29 AM
That's a nice rig, the way you're going the next step is a big ass motor home. :)
I think you made a good choice, there is lots of good living in something like that, looks to be about 25-28'.
Behind the vehicle you have expect to get around 10mpg when towing.
Ours is very similar, we joke that our camper has AC and our house doesn't, camper has HDTV, house doesn't.
We just spent a 3 day weekend for our first camping trip this year, good to get back into it.
Hint, waste storage tanks have very limited capacity, use the campground toilets as much as you can, drain the black water tanks first, then the kitchen tanks and save the shower tank to flush your drain hose clean.
Also, if you can get away with it run a hose under the camper and leave the shower holding tank open to drain on the ground, lets you take longer and more showers, only save enough of that waste water near the end of your stay to clean out your hose.
Also, if you can, never tow with the fresh water storage tank full, water weighs a ton and it's easier to get fresh water at the campgound than haul it, then drain the tank for your trip home.
Nice setup again, if you feel like an adventure, tow the thing north, lots of neat lakeshore campsites up here.
PS: towing that thing is a lot different than a small boat, wind and passing trucks will send you all over the road, watch your speed and know it will take you about 4 times the normal distance to come to a complete stop.
Have fun.

BarryBobPosthole
06-05-2013, 08:32 AM
Wow! Hardwood floors! Beutiful unit!

Just curious, but you don't see as many fifth wheels as you used to. I would think a longer unit like that would pull much easier with a fifth wheel hitch. Did you research both? Just wondering what the decider was foryou.

Did you get stiffer springs on the chassis for your side ofthe bed?

Enjoy it, Bucky.
BKB

jb
06-05-2013, 08:41 AM
Barry,
We got rid of our 5th wheel for a travel trailer because I just could not see the expense of owning a 3/4 ton pickup for the dozen times a year it's needed to haul a camper. I can haul my 26' trailer easily behind my GMC 1/2 ton and get much better mph with it. Also a travel trailer allows you to have full use of your pickup bed while towing or while camping.
That big old 5th wheel hitch takes up a lot of room and is a PITA to have to remove it .
Now if you're going to be a snowbird and live in a camper 6 months ever year down in FLA, a big 5th wheel or motor home is the only way to go.

Buckrub
06-05-2013, 09:41 AM
No, didn't want one. Have a short bed, extended cab, 2wd..........can't pull that weight, and am not going to buy a $60,000 truck just to pull a camper, when this one works great and will pull behind what I have.

Next vehicle Mama gets, she might get a Suburban instead of a Tahoe, and use that, we'll see. It depends on how well my truck pulls this. If it pulls it well, doesn't matter what she gets as long as it will pull the boat, which the Tahoe will.

They're not hardwood, but sure look like it. That's actually linoleum!!!

Thanks for the tips, Bubba. Already figured out most of that, but some good info.

ONE LAST thing to figure out, and that's the portable satellite dish. I THINK this will work, but not sure...

http://www.satelliteoasis.com/directv-swim-hdtv-satellite-dish-tripod-kit-for-rv-mobile-portable/

Oh, and BITE ME on the spring comment. It DOES have 'remote control, electric' stabilizer jacks!

Oh, and the cable company just left, and raised my cable over my driveway to 13 feet, so I'm good to go IF I can back it in..........very limited space to turn from street to driveway. And still have to figure out if it will fit and still be able to get boat out. That may be a major issue. I'll know by tonight.

Thumper
06-05-2013, 10:41 AM
"Backing it in?" Why do visions of a certain boat ramp in Canada come to mind? 😛

Bwana
06-05-2013, 10:48 AM
That is one fine looking unit Bucky and I am sure you and the missus will have all sorts of fun with it.

As for advice, listen to what Bubbua said, he knows what he is talking about.

Again, congrats!

johnboy
06-05-2013, 11:17 AM
Great looking rig!

Just a quick thought - go over all the seams on your trailer very carefully to make sure they are all properly sealed from the factory. Sometimes they get sloppy and miss a spot or two and you will get water intrusion. Very bad! I spent $3500 this spring to rebuild the front of my RV due to a leak that I didn't catch soon enough.

quercus alba
06-05-2013, 02:54 PM
being an amateur noticer, I noticed he managed to sneak a pic of the toilet in. Probably spend a lot of time in there after eating some 2 day old tuna salad

Niner
06-05-2013, 03:24 PM
Dang Bucky, that is one NICE unit! I keep looking at that thing and thinking I've LIVED in smaller places. :)
How long is that joker anywhoo? Can't tell for sure from the pics, but it looks like the port side slides out?
Nice, nice, nice, nice, nice, nice, nice, nice, nice!
You can pull it down to deer camp and have your own bunkhouse all to yourself.

I don't know nuttin' 'bout no campers, but that looks like a heckofa unit. Looks like it has storage space for your new/old cooker too.

Buckrub
06-05-2013, 04:18 PM
It's 26 feet, but from end to end counting the tongue, it's 31'10"........it FITS IN DRIVEWAY!! Man it's tight. And a little digging some dirt in the back hill behind driveway, and it'll fit even better.

DUDE!! This thing cost approximately what I paid for a BRAND NEW house in 1971!!!! Dang near same interest rate too!! :) And I've lived in WAY worse places. Guys, this is an ENTRY level camper. You ought to see the fancy stuff on the higher dollar ones. Wowzers. But geez, this is nice. I'm like Arty........I just can not wait to get somewhere. Trouble is, ALL the lakes around here are flooded!!!

This has enough storage to put Bubba, Posthole, and five Captains, and ALL my stuff! All hidden from site.

Now I have to figure out the Satellite HD TV thing. It comes with TV........HD TV to boot. But small. And I want satellite. NO ONE seems to know squat about it, other than the RV Forums, and they get way confusing. But I'll figure it out.

And my LP fish cooker will go in back of truck and I WILL use it.

Oh, and I got an average of 10 mpg coming home, according to onboard computer. I got 11 mpg at one stretch down the highway. My truck will pull it, and I can go anywhere just fine, but it does bog down some (expected). I wish I had a 3/4 ton. Cappy is complaining about gas mileage all the time, maybe he'd trade me???? :)

Sunshine
06-05-2013, 09:10 PM
Wow Bucky, that's really nice.

Welcome to leisure camping!!! :D

Don't forget to pull the stairs up, before you drive off. Can't tell you how many trailers and Rv's, I've seen going along the highway, with their stairs out.

Chicken Dinner
06-05-2013, 09:18 PM
When I'm retired, I aspire to be as broke as you...

yellowk9
06-06-2013, 04:53 PM
Yep. I hope I'm that poor when I retire. I can't afford something like that while I'm still working :moon

Buckrub
06-06-2013, 04:54 PM
I can't afford it either time.

But I couldn't afford to get married, either. Or have kids. Or buy a house. Or a car.

If you have an L.A.D. M.I., and serious stomach problems, and COPD........you will find a way to enjoy a few years, trust me.