PDA

View Full Version : Bummer. :-(

Thumper
06-06-2013, 10:35 AM
Saturday, Lynn and I were returning home from an estate sale. We were cruising down a major, VERY busy 4-lane highway through town. We spotted a dog in the south side lanes dodging cars left & right trying to cross the highway. I didn't see any way he'd make it without being hit, but I went to the next intersection, made a U-turn and came back to see if we could help him. By time we got back to him, he'd somehow managed to get across and was walking up a side street on the north side of the highway. Problem is, this was in a VERY seedy part of town ... VERY "dark" ifyouknowwhatImeanandIthinkthatyoudo! We pulled up beside him and as I was parking on the side of the road, Lynn jumped out to grab him (NOT the smartest thing to do, but she's a big-time animal lover). He was trailing a broken leash ... looks like he'd been tied up and broke the restraint ... then ran off to do some exploring.

We always carry a stack of small styrofoam bowls, bottled water and CAT food in the trunk because Lynn is always on the lookout for strays and will stop to leave food out for any she sees. Anyway, she gave him some water and he drank all we had with us. He was EXTREMELY friendly, well-mannered and seemed to be a generally all-around sweet dog. She sat with him and he simply laid beside her the whole time ... never once tried to cause a problem or continue on his journey ... just seemed happy to lay next to Lynn and relax.

Of course we attracted plenty of attention in the neighborhood and I stood leaning against the car with a loaded .45 in my pocket watching the "neighbors" more than I watched Lynn and the dog. I called animal control and they said they were VERY busy, back-logged and it would "be a while". I explained the situation, described where we were and the dispatcher said she'd send somebody right over. As we waited, I noticed a LOT of activity at the house right next to us. A car would pull up, some dude would walk to the door, knock, go in, then come out after about 5 minutes, get in the car and drive off. This happened about 3-4 times. THEN, a car drove up, parked in front of the house, the driver blew his horn, some dude came out of the house with a stack of car stereos in his arms, laid them in the front passenger seat of the car and the guy drove off. The guy who came out of the house didn't go back in, but walked down the street in the same direction in which the car drove off. This all went on no more than 50' of us and they seemed to care less that we were there! I decided it was time to cock the Colt and chamber a round, then returned it to my pocket.

Animal Control arrived in about 40 minutes and took the dog off to "doggie jail"! They stayed and talked to us for quite a while and were really a nice couple of guys (TWO trucks showed up). They commented on how even natured the mutt was and somebody would probably claim him. The dog went willingly with anyone who led him with the leash and they got him loaded up with no problem. Once in the TINY cage on the truck, he simply laid down and waited for whatever was in the cards for him. We were told they'd hold him for a week and if nobody claimed him, he'd go up for adoption IF he was "adoptable" (which I'd have to think he is). 'Course, after a certain amount of time .... well, they don't hold 'em forever. :(

I sure hope somebody adopts this guy ... he's pretty lovable. Not the handsomest dog in the pound, but calm and friendly. The Animal Control dude snapped this pic before loading him in the truck. That was 5 days ago and as of today, it appears he's still in doggie jail. Sad ... in the short time we "knew" him ... we became a bit attached ... BUT ... he'd eat cats for breakfast, so it just wouldn't work for us. :(

http://www.polksheriff.org/InsidePCSO/LE/SOD/BOSO/AC/Searches/Pages/LostPets.aspx

Well, heck, the url won't take you to the individual dog. The site won't even let me cut & paste. I'll work on it and see if I can post his mug shot.

Dang! Typical gov't website. I used their e-mail link to mail the listing to myself so I could save the pic and post it here ... it said it went through, but I haven't received anything (did it TWICE). Oh well ... I think he's on page 3 with the ID#A703112. All I entered in the info section is "DOG" and "Male".

johnboy
06-06-2013, 01:12 PM
Nice looking dog but he looks like he could use a good feed. Good on you for stopping for him. Sure hope he finds a home before youknowwhat happens.

Niner
06-06-2013, 03:37 PM
DUDE! Not to hijack yer thread.....but this IS GoodHunting....
You carry a 1911 in "condition three"??!!??! Try "condition one".....much less gyrations to get a shot off, if needed.

Thumper
06-06-2013, 03:48 PM
I know, I know, and I agree ... that hammer back on a 1911 just makes me a bit nervous ... I've never been able to get used to it to be honest, especially in my pocket right next to the family jewels. When I was working nights at closed gas stations, "1" was the norm, but in a IWB holster. Nowadays, I normally carry my PPK in my pocket, but the Colt was still in the console uncocked from our trip up your way. I simply slipped it in my pocket when I got out ... with no holster that hammer kinda gets in the way. I was makin' sure nobody got too close ... if so, I'm pretty quick with it. ;)

Thumper
06-07-2013, 03:27 PM
Those dirty rat-bastards! We were told they'd hold the dog for 5 days to see if anyone claimed him, then "if he's adoptable", they'll put him up for adoption. That was late Saturday afternoon. We have a neighbor who just had to put their dog down (20 yrs old and sick) and they were interested in this one. They both work during the day, so Lynn called the pound on her lunch hour to see if he'd been claimed, and if not, we were bringing someone down on Saturday to check him out and probably adopt him. Damn! They told her he's already been "put down"! WTF do they mean by "adoptable"? This was the most mild-mannered, calm and obedient dog you could ever ask for. We were totally surprised at how he just laid next to Lynn the whole time we waited for animal control.

This sucks! He'd have been better off wandering the neighborhood ... I'm sure somebody would have "adopted" him ... he was a pretty lovable mutt. :(

Captain
06-07-2013, 03:31 PM
So they waited 5 days like they said they would and out him down? What's the problem????
Take Care, Captain

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Thumper
06-07-2013, 03:38 PM
Nope ... they said they'd hold him for 5 days to see if his owners claimed him .... THEN, if not, and he is "adoptable" ... they'd give him a medical check-up and put him up for adoption. We asked the Animal Control guy what he meant by "adoptable" and he said, "mostly that he's non-aggressive". This dog didn't have an aggressive bone in his body! Late yesterday marked 5 days. They wouldn't release him during that time period anyway in case the owner claimed him. Today was the first day he'd have been available for adoption but heck, they must have been watching the seconds tick away on the clock for the minute they could put him down. Sheeesh! He never had a chance.

Oh yeah ... don't you read what I write? You been taking Bucky pills or sumpin'? :D

Captain
06-07-2013, 03:44 PM
Read and understood every word of it. They said IF he was adoptable. They didn't say if YOU thought he was adoptable. They said if THEY determined he was adoptable. So he must not have qualified as adoptable and they put him down.
That's the business they are in. Bet they see zillions of them every year.

Sunshine
06-07-2013, 03:46 PM
Sorry to hear this Thump.

The previous owners should be put to sleep too.

I don't turn any animal over to that society.
They usually put them down.

I either find the dogs owner, or a new owner, or turn it over to a no kill animal society.

Poor Dog!! You didn't know any better and were trying to help.

Thumper
06-07-2013, 04:09 PM
Well, I have a kennel here at the house (the previous owners bred some sort of purebreds for sale) and normally if there's a stray in the neighborhood, we'll keep them in the kennel until we find it a home. We were nowhere close to home when we found him and he was a pretty big dog and pretty dirty. We didn't really want to stuff him into Lynn's new (3-week old) car. He prolly would have played hell with those leather seats! All we could do really was hold him to keep him off the highway and wait for Animal Control.

Niner
06-07-2013, 04:17 PM
You could have done like Clark W. Grizwold and tied him to the bumper. The little guy proll would have kept up for a mile or so.

Thumper
06-07-2013, 04:27 PM
I'm ok with it ... Lynn's pretty devastated. :(

Arty
06-07-2013, 07:50 PM
You could have done like Clark W. Grizwold and tied him to the bumper. The little guy proll would have kept up for a mile or so.

L O L :watermelon:

Captain
06-07-2013, 08:48 PM
Kribbs does remind you of Clark W. Grizwold when you think about it.
Take Care, Captain

Thumper
06-08-2013, 12:18 AM
More like Clark Kent actually. ;)