PDA

View Full Version : Hey Cappy ... I got's a monkey for ya'!

Thumper
06-08-2013, 02:02 PM
Wrench that is. I can never pass up an old wrench when I stumble across one and picked this one up at an estate sale in Nashville. It's nothing earth-shattering, fairly common and not worth much, but it's old. It's a 9" wrench, say's "9 AUTO" on the end of the handle on one side, and "3D" (or 30?) on the other side. I was gonna throw it up on The Bay if you don't want it. I don't like to clean 'em up as some buyers don't like that ... but it's in pretty fair shape and adjusts all the way to each limit. If'n ya' wants it, I'll drop 'er in the mail to ya'.

1228 1229

1230 1231

Captain
06-08-2013, 08:24 PM
Looks like a goodun' what cha' gotta have fer it?

Just box it up and send it. Let me know what to make the check for
Take Care, Captain

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

BarryBobPosthole
06-09-2013, 06:36 AM
It'd really be a find if it was a left handed one.
BKB

Thumper
06-09-2013, 11:24 AM
Will do Cappy.

P-hole ... the pics are of two different wrenches. Obviously, the bottom pic is the left-handed one. I've done some research on these things and found out what "auto" means. They were used in the automotive industry to remove/replace muffler bearings. ;)

Thumper
06-09-2013, 07:33 PM
Gots it packaged up and ready for tomorrow's mail Cappy. Dang it! The cut-off for First Class Mail is 13 ounces. Wouldn't ya' know it, the dang thing weighs 13.2 ounces (13.4 oz. shipping weight.) I had to step up to Flat Rate Priority Mail (small box) @ $5.15 (internet rate). Kinda hurt the profit margin! Ha! :D

Anyway, $15 will cover it. My cost was no more than $2.00 for the wrench (or prolly $1.00, can't remember) and $6458.37 for gas/hotel to drive to Nashville to pick it up. :D

Buckrub
06-09-2013, 07:35 PM
Make the check for "All you got".

You're welcome.

Thumper
06-09-2013, 07:45 PM
Heck, I don't think I have enough years left in me to spend all of Cappy's money!

Captain
06-09-2013, 08:58 PM
Thanks, I told Cheryl to put a check In the mail to you tomorrow. We are headed to The Florida house this week sometime so I need to send it before we leave or you will have to wait a week or so... :D
By the way if you EVER come across any old Ford tractor tools and can pick em up just ship em to me with a note on what I owe ya!
Here is the ones that came with the 8N...
Take Care and thanks again, Captain

Thumper
06-09-2013, 09:37 PM
Well great ... you wait to come down while I'll be in the hospital having ANOTHER dang back surgery. You PLANNED it that way just to keep Cheryl away from me didn't ya'? ;)

I'll keep an eye out for that Ford stuff .. these sales are always more fun when you have a something specific to look for. 'Course I ALWAYS check out the garage (tools, etc) and bathrooms (razors) first ... Lynn heads straight for the kitchen.

Captain
06-09-2013, 09:47 PM
Lynn tells me when the weather will be right to come down, she said next week or so the coast will be clear. :D
Take Care. Captain

Thumper
06-09-2013, 10:55 PM
Ha ha! Out smart-assed by a smart-ass! :D

Sunshine
06-09-2013, 10:59 PM
You better like that wrench Capt!!! I had second dibs on it!!' Lol

Bwana
06-10-2013, 10:37 AM
Cappy, Sunshine, others: Do you truly have an interest in this type of thing?

My reason for asking is that I see it all the time at auctions or rummage sales. Though I don't go very often, if there is something you truly want I am willing to keep my eyes open.

Thumper
06-10-2013, 11:54 AM
Careful Bwana ... it's addictive. You could get hooked. ;)

Captain
06-10-2013, 01:10 PM
Bwana, I like small antique hand tools. That said I'm really trying to put together a original tool kit for the 8N without just going out and ordering a complete set new. I like putting new life in an old forgot about project.
I would REALLY like to fine a 30's or 40 Chevy or Ford truck that was in need a restoring. I like putting things back original and would not dream of dropping a 350 or 289 engine in something like that.
I certainly don't want to be a hog now that I know Sunny would like these hand tools too but any you pick up reasonable I would be interested in.
Take Care, Captain

Bwana
06-10-2013, 02:14 PM
It's a bit newer but it needs some fixing up and it is for sale. I know the owner REALLY well and he will cut you a heck of a deal.

Bwana
06-10-2013, 02:14 PM
Just curious, how does one know if they are from an 8N toolkit, are they marked?

Thumper
06-10-2013, 03:20 PM
My dream restoration has always been a "5-window" Chevy or GMC truck ('48 - '53 if I remember correctly).

I'd give my left nut for sumpin' like this to start with .......

http://i1123.photobucket.com/albums/l556/navydave1/52%20GMC%205%20window/Picture028.jpg

Bwana
06-10-2013, 04:18 PM
I count 8 windows.

Captain
06-10-2013, 06:03 PM
Bwana the original 8N tool kit came with a pair of pliers, and standard screwdriver, a box end wrench 11/16th on one end and 13/16th on the other, two small open end wrenches in 7/16th and 1/2" and 9/16ths, and 5/8ths, and a large combination open end plow wrench in 11/16th and 1&1/16" and a adjustable end wrench.

They were all marked "Ford"
Here is the picture of them

This site will tell you all you need to know to find them...
Take Care, Captain

Thumper
06-10-2013, 11:00 PM
I count 8 windows.

BRRRRRAAAAPPPP! You lose. Looks like you're still stuck with the Jr. Noticer as well as Jr. Smartass title. The way YOU'RE counting, it actually has 9 ... notice the split windshield! :D

Thumper
06-10-2013, 11:01 PM
This site will tell you all you need to know to find them...
Take Care, Captain

Ummm, what site Cappy?

Captain
06-11-2013, 05:57 AM
http://www.myfordtractors.com/tools.shtml

Guess I forgot to post it...

Thumper
06-11-2013, 08:35 AM
Wow! That's a cool site Larke ... and gives me a new mission. I don't even remember, was that last wrench I sent you a Ford wrench? It seems to ring a bell ... or am I dreaming? Seems like it was a Model A wrench, but I wasn't aware of the difference between car wrenches and tractor wrenches.

Bwana
06-11-2013, 09:09 AM
Of course there is a difference Thumper...one is used on a tractor and the other on a car. Sheesh!

As for the split windshield, pretty tough to tell from the photo but then again I am only a junior noticier so cut me a little slack, will ya?

Thumper
06-11-2013, 09:22 AM
A "Senior Noticer" would look through the driver's window and see the center windshield molding. 'Course, you're totally correct ... that's what distinguishes a Junior Noticer from a Senior Noticer. Keep working at it ... you'll get there someday. ;)

Thumper
06-11-2013, 09:29 AM
Here ya' go Bwana ... What do you notice about this one? ;)

http://www.pro-touring.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=46786&d=1305726541

Buckrub
06-11-2013, 10:26 AM
That the tires and wheels aren't original?????????????????????????????????????:poke

Niner
06-11-2013, 10:43 AM
There's a fellow up the street from me that has a truck like that. BUT his is NOT painted nice. It looks pretty much the way it did when he hauled it out of the woods. INCLUDING THE TREE THAT GREW AROUND THE BACK BUMPER. He cut it off so that it's only a foot or so long.....pretty cool though. He cleaned the truck up an has it running. I see him tootling down the road in it every so often.

Thumper
06-11-2013, 12:21 PM
That the tires and wheels aren't original?????????????????????????????????????:poke

We're talking the number of "windows" dufus. This one (1950) has no vent wings. I see them both ways so I assume they were an option ... like a/c!
So Bwana, this one would have 7 "windows". ;)

Bwana
06-11-2013, 12:24 PM
7 or 9, who cares? The one very important thing that a vehicle like that is missing, is the good-looking bikini model showing it off!

Captain
06-11-2013, 05:59 PM
Kribbs I would think the folks that did the restore job on that second truck you posted took the side vent windows out and remade one piece rollup windows to fit the whole door area. They most likely put power windows and AC in it too. I don't think they were available with AC then.

I'd like to get my hands on a 1961-63 1/2 ton Ford truck to restore. They had a solid body from Front to back. The bed was not separate. It's called a unibody. They quit after a couple of years because the farmers were twisting the beds up bad crossing ditches and such.
They are neat looking trucks.
Take Care, Captain

Thumper
06-11-2013, 10:45 PM
That's persactly what I was thinking Cappy. I don't think ANYTHING came with no vent wings in those days. It must be an extremely popular conversion and I assume some after-market conversion parts must be available. Half the "restored" trucks of the era that I see, have no vent wings. It sure makes for a cleaner side view, that's for sure.

Oh yeah, the '61-'63 bed fiasco was one of Ford's "better ideas"! :D

Captain
06-12-2013, 07:57 AM
Yep it may have been a flop as far as useability but it sure made for a cool collectable in the long run.
Neat looking truck restored.
Take Care, Captain

Thumper
06-12-2013, 11:17 AM
Cappy, I had a buddy in California who had one of those unibody Fords years ago. It always looked like a Falcon P/U from the side (to me). Anyway, we were going to the Colorado River for Labor day weekend and he was taking his boat ... a pickle-fork with a built-up 454 Chevy motor and two 4-bbls. Problem is, the boat would only run on Avgas and he had to haul his own fuel. He loaded that truck with all the various gear, including two, empty 55-gal. drums. We headed out to the airport, filled the drums, got ready to leave and couldn't get the dang doors open! The body had flexed so much with the load, the doors jammed shut! It was a looker but it sure twern't no hauler!

Captain
06-12-2013, 11:21 AM
That was one of the major complaints with the truck. That and the bed would twist and dent.
Guess he had to off load some fuel to get in the truck.

Thumper
06-12-2013, 11:55 AM
Yep, it was a little regional airfield and they brought out this little micro-mini "fuel truck" thingy to pump the fuel out. He sold that thing and bought a Bronco. He was a died-in-the-wool Ford man. We still stay in touch ... he now lives on Maui.