PDA

View Full Version : Search Committee......Front and Center

Buckrub
06-09-2013, 10:53 AM
Looking for a hatch lift for overhead wood cabinet doors in camper. They are small doors, probably not 8 inches high. I have 3, and they all lift straight up. I want something that will hold them open. I voted to just stick a hook in ceiling and hold 'em open that way, but the Warden vetoed that idea.

I want one like this one:

http://www.hatchlift.com/rv-hatch-category.aspx?product_id=9

That one holds the outside hatch door open, and I've ordered that one. But it's too big for these small inside cabinets. Seems these would be available about anywhere, but haven't found what I want yet.

Dennis
06-09-2013, 12:52 PM
An RV dealer should have what you want I have them on the ceiling of my trailer. It's a clip you open then and when the door is in place it closes to hold the door up. I'd take a picture for you but trailer is stored out at in laws place. They cost about $3.00

Buckrub
06-09-2013, 01:56 PM
Search Committee.......DIS....MISSED.

Found what I want.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002UC17KS/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Big Muddy
06-09-2013, 02:05 PM
1-small shock absorber, like they install on hatch-back suv's
2-velcro tabs
3-magnetic latch

Big Muddy
06-09-2013, 02:11 PM
Yep, brilliant minds....that was my #1 choice.
Dont look too expensive, either.

Buckrub
06-09-2013, 03:06 PM
No.

You have a fancy motorhome. I have an entry level travel trailer. This is the kind of thing that differentiates lower end from higher end. But these are easily fixable things on mine.

Thumper
06-09-2013, 07:20 PM
Buckrub;

I voted to just stick a hook in ceiling and hold 'em open that way, but the Warden vetoed that idea.

Smart lady! With the way "some" of your projects turn out ... I have a vivid picture of screws sticking out the top of your roof! :D

True Thump story:

Back in my old Cadillac days ... when "cell phones" were actually "car phones" ... we had a customer who bought a new Cadillac. He had a car phone in his trade-in. We offered to switch it over for him in the shop (for a price), but he chose the do-it-yourself route. When he installed the head of the phone on the center driveline hump (back in the rear wheel drive days), he drilled the mounts and screwed the phone head to the hump of his new car (the normal installation point back in the day). After his backyard installation, he started the car and proceeded to pump all his transmission fluid out onto his driveway! Ummm, he used a bit longer drill bit than he should have and drilled right through the top of his transmission case. That was one EXPENSIVE car phone installation! We eventually had to pull the tranny and luckily (for him), we didn't have to replace the case as we were able to epoxy the holes and they held up fine. It cost him quite a bit more than our original quote for a car-phone change-over! I have a feeling his wife is STILL bitching at him for that bonehead move!

Buckrub
06-09-2013, 07:33 PM
The guy I bought my boat from (now out of business) said when he was bass fishing professionally, he got a new boat and put one of those 'foot pedal' gas pedals in it. They worked on it, installed it, etc...and he went to go fishing. Turns out he had bolted the pedal through the floor of the boat and THROUGH the trailer.

Needless to say, he didn't launch.

Thumper
06-09-2013, 07:37 PM
Drilling holes is much like shooting ... ya' kind'a need to know what's BEHIND your target! ;)

Thumper
06-09-2013, 07:41 PM
Ok, I'll admit to one ... shortly after we bought this house, I was drilling a hole in the wall to hang a (heavy) mirror. I had one of those expanding type thingys you stick through the wall and it expands as you tighten the screw/bolt. Well, I 'bout electrocuted myself and almost set the house on fire at the same time when I drilled through a wire behind the wall. I assume it was running from the light switch to the receptacle I was plugged into. :eek:

DeputyDog
06-10-2013, 02:45 PM
The company that we USED to use to install the equipment in our police cars was notorious for doing things like that. The were installing a cage in a brand new car one year and drilled through the fuel line during the install. Then they had several cars when they mounted the center console to house the radios and light switches over the hump between the front seats, they used screws that were too long to secure it. Every time you'd hit a dip in the road and the body of the car "sat down" on the frame,it sounded and felt like a hive a bees under your console. The damn mounting screws were too long and when the car would settle like that, they would hit the drive shaft.