PDA

View Full Version : Explosion!!!!!

Big Muddy
06-09-2013, 02:25 PM
I did not know that brats would explode!!!
Loaded up the new grill with 'em, set on medium heat, and about 6 of 'em exploded like frigging firecrackers.
Sheeit went everywhere!!!
Will this count as "seasoning" the new grill??? ;)

Buckrub
06-09-2013, 02:49 PM
This is what occurs when you scrimp on quality and get stuff with a 93% fat content rating.

Sunshine
06-09-2013, 03:06 PM
You should have boiled them, for a few minutes, before putting them on a grill or cook them in a frying pan.
Welcome!! :D

Big Muddy
06-09-2013, 03:13 PM
Oh contrare, grasshopper, these were the real mccoys....johnsonville brats....I noticed that the casings on the ones that didnt explode and we ate, were extremely tough for some reason.

I guess they came off a really mean hog with tough innards. ;)

Big Muddy
06-09-2013, 03:17 PM
Shame on you, Sunny, for boiling a brat!!!
Never had any explode on the grill before.
Had to be the tough casings that wouldnt expand.

Sunshine
06-09-2013, 03:25 PM
I've always boiled them for a few minutes, before cooking them. Never had one explode!!

Big Muddy
06-09-2013, 03:47 PM
I've always boiled them for a few minutes, before cooking them. Never had one explode!!

I guess it was just the tough foreskin on these bad boys. ;))

Buckrub
06-09-2013, 04:14 PM
I don't eat many 'brats'. Plain old Petit Jean Hot Dogs are fine for me Don't need casings. But I don't mind those Johnsonville Mild Italian ones smoked!!! I always smoke 'em, not grill 'em, so never had any explode.

Guess Ed's gonna be pressure washing that neat, new grill!

LW
06-09-2013, 04:48 PM
What the hell is wrong with you people. Everybody knows that boil brats in beer, onions and bell peppers for 2-3 hours before grilling them. Trust me, I work in a fire station, I have a mustache.

Buckrub
06-09-2013, 04:53 PM
Hey ED. LW don't have no moniker either. And we don't even know what the "L" stands for. No pictures of him either. Reckon he's really Mulewriter?

Trav
06-09-2013, 06:08 PM
I am with LW anybody worth their salt knows to boil Brats in beer & onion before grilling them. Then you continue to reduce the beer until all you have left is beer carmelized onions to top the Brats with after grilling.

LW
06-09-2013, 08:27 PM
Dont mess with me Bucky or I'll give you a picture of me. Then you will be sorry.

Niner
06-10-2013, 06:19 AM
Boiled?? Sounds like somekindof Yankee bastardization of Brat cookery.
Heck, who knows....might not be bad....but sounds weird.

I always poke a few holes in them with a fork and put them on the part of the grill not directly over the coals so they cook a bit slower.
I do my Kielbasa pretty much the same way....and have been known to do both of them totally "indirect" with some wood chips tossed onto the coals.

Chicken Dinner
06-10-2013, 09:16 AM
I have boiled them and agree that's a very traditional way to cook them. You boil them in beer and then brown them on the grill. However, I typically just grill them. I've found the secret is to cook them at a low temp on indirect. If you're still having trouble with "eruptions", just give them a prick with a fork or knife (when you first put them on) to relieve the pressure. Purists will argue that it lets the juice escape. However, it's not that much and certainly less than when they explode.