PDA

View Full Version : Y'all would be proud of me

Buckrub
06-09-2013, 04:19 PM
I know y'all don't think I know anything..........and I don't know much..........but....

Yesterday wife was working in the new travel trailer. She was having to run an extension cord for her vacuum cleaner, back to the house. I asked her why she didn't plug into one of the outlets in the TT??? She said they don't work.

I was connected to power via a 30 to 15a adapter that came with it. I can run anything on 15a circuits except the A/C. Electrician is coming tomorrow to see what it would take to get me a 30a dedicated plug/outlet for it so I can run the A/C and kids can sleep in it, and we can work in it in the summer.

But I had no power. I was using a 10g heavy duty extension cord, too, the big yellow ones. I tried other stuff in the house outlet, and it was hot and good. I figured the adapter went out. I figured also it was a breaker or fuse tripped/blown in the TT. I went through all that, sweating......still nothing.

Finally, I tried a regular old extension cord, and bam.........I had power. I rummaged around and found shorter 10g and put that in, and it works. Who woulda thunk that the bad component in that setup was the extension cord? No frays, looks perfect at both ends, no cuts, no problems. It just won't work!!!

So it went in trash.

Odd.

Captain
06-09-2013, 05:15 PM
Bet the bad connection was just in one of the ends of the cord. Get it out the trash and go to lowes and buy two more ends and rewire it! That is a good cord to throw away!

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Buckrub
06-09-2013, 05:21 PM
I didn't actually throw it away. I'm too 'frugal'!!!

That's a good idea.

I have an electrician coming tomorrow. I was gonna get him to test it and see if he could tell asap where it's bad.

Big Muddy
06-09-2013, 05:24 PM
What Cap said....jmho, but that's usually caused by yanking out the extension cord from the outlet by the wire, instead of the plug.

Thumper
06-09-2013, 07:01 PM
Yep, WAY too nice of a cord to throw out. I'd say Eddie is right-on and the male end will most likely be your culprit.

Thumper
06-09-2013, 07:05 PM
I have a buddy with an electric edger (small yard). I was at his house last week and noticed he now has TWO edgers, persactly alike, sitting in his garage. I asked him what he needed two for and he said his old one quit working, so he went down to Home Depot and bought another one. He got home and it didn't work either. Turns out he had a bad extension cord! I have no clue why he didn't return the new one.