PDA

View Full Version : Thump, would you go back to work if you could make a lot of money?

Buckrub
06-10-2013, 11:31 AM
This is a serious post. I have run into something that I am absolutely certain I can get rich at..........not millions, but a good living. But I'm too lazy. And I retired for a reason.

Anyone could do this.........but (and all the jokes are aside here), Jimbo is someone who would understand this, figure it out, and have the business sense to make it fly.

I'll try to be brief (ha). Bought the travel trailer.......well, I ain't gonna miss the Cardinal games just cause I'm camping~~~~~~ and remember, I have Direct TV in the house now.

So, I get on the Forums for owners of Forest River Trailers..........and it's great by the way.....much info, great folks. And I start asking questions about how to get satellite TV in the trailer. WOW....... Cans of worms are being ordered by the case, and opened up as fast as possible. Folks say this, others say that.

Here are the problems in a nutshell:
-Dish and Direct TV are VERY different in how they do "tailgating" dishes, or portable dishes. Dish is much easier. Direct is much harder. But Direct is what I have. But you can't listen to advice from a guy if he has Dish Network. It ain't even close to the same.

-Inside Direct TV, there's easy and there's hard!!! Easy is non-HD TV. Hard is HD TV!!!!!! Takes a different satellite, and tracking unit, and everything. Takes power to the LNBF separate, takes a lot of stuff. Still, the entire unit is less than $200, so not awful.

-Once you get the satellite dish, you take a Direct TV receiver out of your house, and take it with you. Totally legal per Direct TV. (Take a TV too if needed, but my TT has a TV). However, if that model of receiver has an H in front of it, it's HD and takes a special receiver. Further, if the H is followed by 25 (H25 model), then you are into what is called SWiM technology.....and that is much gooder, much more robust, but much harder to point to the satellites, cause 3 are needed. Still not much more money, just more harder.

-If and when you get all that figured out (and many have done so, it IS doable), there is the issue of the TV in the TT. Mine is HD. It is also a fairly small 12 volt adaptable TV. You want bigger TV? Well, you have to find the right wall mount. Forest River uses proprietary wall mounts made by PAW industries. They are made for VESA 75X75 TV's (that's the small ones). Your TV is 100X100, or 200X200 mount holes??? You got to start over. PLUS, there is no room where the current TV is, to put one much bigger. I can live with that, having a TV is good enough.....but that's a minor issue, and on other campers would be easier to fix. On top of that, there is an a/b switch (of sorts) that goes between coax cable/satellite connection (on side of trailer) and OTA Roof Antenna. That entire booster board that has that switch has to be by passed (for some reason.....unsure yet why, but everyone agreed that this has to be done). That means trailer wiring, and that's hard.

Here's the big issue:

NO ONE ON EARTH KNOWS ABOUT THIS STUFF ENTIRELY. There is no 'source'. Not one dealer I talked to (and I talked at length to several) has a clue. Some sell the Dish Network antenna (the one that automatically finds satellites) but it's Dish, and it's not HD. Ask them a question, and they are lost. Not one guy, including the techs that I talked to AT LENGTH about this, have any idea about it.

Thus, I guarantee you can get rich by forming Jimbo's RV Satellite TV, LLC. I'd do Bucky's RV Satellite TV, LLC if I knew where to find techs and wasn't so lazy, and had any startup capital. Then you just call on RV dealers and get them to refer every new sale to Jimbo's TV for installation assistance with their Satellite TV needs in their new RV. Then you have to learn what they have, how to set them up, how to wire trailers, how to get accounts set up, techs to install it, Help Lines for assistance while they are on the road.... a BIG operation.

But lucrative as heck.

Who's in?

Thumper
06-10-2013, 11:47 AM
Ouch! You're making my brain hurt! It would be too much of a learning curve for me personally. I seldom watch tv and am still on basic cable with no "premium stuff" ... one step above an antenna on the roof and only two steps above rabbit ears!

BUT ... if you dig up all the Indians and find some financial investors ... I'd gladly volunteer as CEO. :D

Buckrub
06-10-2013, 12:33 PM
Nah, you're out.

Remember, I tried..........this is something you could figure out. If I can (and I'm gonna), then you can.

However, I can't get these guys in Satellite Oasis in Indiana to answer the phone. Does anyone in Indiana work?? Hello???

Big Muddy
06-10-2013, 02:06 PM
Does anyone in Indiana work?? Hello???

They're all prolly still celebrating....Indiana is going to the college world series for the first time in Indiana Univ. history.

They sent Fla. State's cocky azzes home in just 2 games, yesterday, from the ncaa super regional baseball tourney.

(My MS State boys aren't doing too bad, either.)

Captain
06-10-2013, 07:00 PM
Bucky you really don't need to make it harder than it is..
I've put up several dishes (on Direct TV) one at the hunt club and one at the SC farm and one at the NC farm. As well as help friends tune one it at there summer homes or hunting/fishing camps, so they can take a receiver when they go here. I have 5 receivers and move them around from place to place as needed. Some HD and some not. The non-HD dishes are a snap to tune in but the HD require a little more time. basically just hook the receiver up to the dish go to the set up and there is a signal strength meter there. If it's not HD just move it around till you get above 80% and you are good to go. If its HD you have to tune to a couple of different sats but again just watch the signal strength meter and its not too bad.
Take Care, Captain

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Gunther
06-10-2013, 07:15 PM
Who in the hell would want to watch tv whilst camping? That's when you look at stars, go fishing, hunting or just lay around nekkid and fu.....take walks. If baseball is that important to you, well, I just don't know what to say.

Wait! YES I DO!!!

Buckrub
06-10-2013, 07:16 PM
I believe you. I shall soon see first hand!! :)

Buckrub
06-10-2013, 07:17 PM
Gus, it's me that doesn't know what to say to you One Dimenensional guys.

I do a lot. I hunt. I fish. I camp. I........talk walks, often. I watch the Hogs. I watch the Cardinals. I boat. I four wheeler ride. I watch the stars. I cook. I grill. I smoke meat. I EAT.

Y'all need to be a bit more eclectic.

Thumper
06-10-2013, 11:42 PM
Two rules we always had in our hunting camps ...

1) No wimmins
2) No TV's

I'd think the same would go for camping. Well, 'cept for the wimmins part! ;)

Buckrub
06-11-2013, 10:22 AM
We have one rule in our camp. It's one of the main reasons I got in it.

1) There are no rules.

Thumper
06-11-2013, 12:24 PM
In hindsight, I'll bet they wish they'd had a "No Buckrub" rule back in the day! :D

Gunther
06-14-2013, 12:19 PM
One dimensional?? I'm a street medic. an educator, I have a class A CDL, I can out shoot most anyone with a RIFLED firearm, with a shot gun only 70% or so. I can and do fix my own vehicles, I've been in a movie or two, I sing, dance and have a large penis. OK, I don't sing and dance very well. BUT, I WILL NOT WATCH TV WHILE "CAMPING"!

Thumper
06-14-2013, 05:12 PM
Ha ha! I had a buddy in L.A. who bought a nice motor home. We used to take big group trips ... lots of motorhomes, campers and even tents ... to the Colorado River twice/year ... Memorial Day and Labor Day (called 'em our "season opener" and our "season closer") When he bought that motor home he'd never come out of it all weekend! He had a blender to make mixed drinks, had a cooler full of beer, a fridge full of food and a frigging TV that he was glued to all weekend long! We used to wonder why he'd spend a bazillion $$$ on gas to drive that thing up there and never do a dang thing differently than he could do at home. Weird!

Before you even make the suggestion ... he'd always bring his wife with him. I never could figure out why they didn't just stay at home.

Buckrub
06-14-2013, 05:57 PM
Neither of you get it.

Which is fine with me. Less crowded.

Thumper
06-14-2013, 06:01 PM
Don't get bent ... at least you go fishing and stuff ... there's no way I'd compare you "directly" with him! I'd say he was the extreme example!

Buckrub
06-14-2013, 06:27 PM
With who?

Man, I can't keep up today.

Oh, you mean your L.A. buddy. OH.

Well, I have been camping ONCE, so I don't know what I do. Me and wife DID go fishing that time, yes. And will again. If we stay in Arkansas, she'll pull the boat wherever we go. I have reservations back at the same place we just went for my birthday, cause the grandkids will be here, and it has a swimming beach close. That's sort of the 'break in' voyage for the camper, but it's only 38 miles away (Ark has 23,032,048,089 places to camp).

FYI, the satellite dish was just delivered. Too tired to get it out of the box, been weed eating. But it's here. If y'all don't want to watch TV camping, fine. Then don't do it at home. I plan on living in the camper much like I do at home.

Speaking of 'bent'..........I just looked at a few recent pics of myself, and I wonder if I have osteoporosis? My shoulders sure are bent in the pics.

Dang. Just what I need. One more malady.

For the record, I went to the Doc today, first time with Medicare as primary insurance. No copays. I got two meds already with my Part D. One was free, and Crestor is $35.00 a month. I just turned in Asmanex and Pro-Air, so we'll see what they cost. Thank y'all for contributing to my health care.

Buckrub
06-14-2013, 06:32 PM
http://www.trucktrend.com/features/consumer/163_1302_2014_toyota_tundra_scorecard/index.html