PDA

View Full Version : Gearheads.........a real stupid question or two

Buckrub
06-10-2013, 06:36 PM
So shoot me for being iggurnunt.

How do I know if my truck has a transmission cooler?

How would I install a bigger or second one if I wanted to?

How do I monitor the transmission fluid temp so I can keep it around 200 or less? What meter/device, where?

Thanks.

LJ3
06-10-2013, 06:47 PM
My tranny cooler is mounted in front of my regular radiator. Looks like a mini-me version of it, just a small radiator. Most trucks with a tow package have one, not sure if Shibby would give you one without having a towing package with it.

Captain
06-10-2013, 06:48 PM
The transmission cooler will be a thin radiator in front of your radiator under the hood. What year is your truck? Mine shows the transmission temp while scrolling through the information on the computer dash... You know the trip odometer, average mileage ect....
You can have a transmission temp gauge installed if you want without much problem.
If your truck does not have a transmission cooler I would suggest having one put on as well as a dash mounted gauge before pulling long trips.
Take Care, Captain

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Buckrub
06-10-2013, 07:03 PM
As to your last sentence, amen!

OK, I have a transmission cooler. I knew that. That was a test question.

Dang thing looks small. And if it tells me temp on my dash computer, I've never seen it. I do have towing package, but not the 2500 like Cappy. Cappy I'll trade trucks with you if you want better gas mileage....straight up.

I don't know how to get a transmission temp gauge installed, but I'd feel better pulling this trailer if I had one.

From a car forum I googled: 99-06 don't have transmission temp gauges as part of package. FYI.

Gunther
06-10-2013, 07:25 PM
It's really easy.

Get a tranny temp gauge. Install it. Costs $50.00. Or you could have one installed, costs about $200.00. Trans cooler can be upgraded easily, just go to a junk yard and get one from a 1 ton or bigger. Probably switch right up. Or plumb it in in series. Just make sure you flush it first. Or you can buy one from a dealer or and aftermarket and do the same thing. It isn't tough, some things you shouldn't think on so hard, you should just do.

Captain
06-10-2013, 08:00 PM
You too late to get my 2500 HD I sold it and bought a new heavy half 4X4
Here's the transmission reading on my new truck.
Take Care, Captain

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Buckrub
06-10-2013, 08:12 PM
Well ain't you sumpin?

Cool.....(literally)