PDA

View Full Version : New ride.

jb
06-11-2013, 03:57 PM
After 20 months I got tired of my oil burning GMC pickup and traded for this FORD.
Kay usually gets tired of a car and needs a new one about every 4 years, I have always settled on a good clean low milage used vehicle and drive it till the wheels fall off.
I have not bought new ,for myself, in 33 years.
Started looking for for a replacement about 3 months ago.
I found out I really don't need a pickup, but need something to haul our travel trailer with some extra storage, inside the vehicle workes out better then outside in the bed.
Local Ford dealer had this sitting on the lot for over a year, brand new 2012 with a 112 miles, loaded, sunroof, third row seating, leather, more dodads than I'll ever use. I kept going in and bugging my salesman about a deal, never could get close enough for me to pull the trigger.
This weekend they had it marked down on a big sale, took 10grand off the sticker. I got them to come down another $850 and drove it home.
I was always a Ford man, somewhere in the past I crossed over to the dark side and bought a few GM products, driving this new one makes me wonder why I ever did that.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v460/jbmich/IMG_3291_zpsbaef2a42.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/jbmich/media/IMG_3291_zpsbaef2a42.jpg.html)

Buckrub
06-11-2013, 04:02 PM
Sigh.

Nice ride........but you'd never make it down here. A man needs a truck (even if it's to loan to his boys every weekend!! :)) So, what are they going to do now???? And that thing won't pull your travel trailer!!

Bwana
06-11-2013, 04:10 PM
Nice and shiny for sure but it's till a Ford.

Thumper
06-11-2013, 04:38 PM
Nice ride Bubba! Well ...... ummm, you DO realize it's a Ford ... correct? ;)

Niner
06-11-2013, 04:47 PM
Well....SOMEBODY has to keep the mechanics in business.
When I got tired of sending my mechanic's kids to college, I got away from Fords.

Seriously though, SOME people have good luck with Ford products...my BIL will own nothing BUT a Ford.
Good lookin' ride. Is that the Expedition?

johnboy
06-11-2013, 05:19 PM
Good looking rig but details, we need details! Is it a 4x4?

Captain
06-11-2013, 05:47 PM
That sure is a pretty ride! Congrats.
Has it got a transmission cooler??? :D
Them Ford are know for pulling the transmission out..
I could not make it without a truck!
Take Care, Captain

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

jb
06-11-2013, 08:48 PM
4x4 Expedition, Triton 5.4 V8, loaded with heavy duty trailering package (heavy duty battery, tran. cooler, heavy duty suspention and swaybars). Heated and AC seats, third row seating,( power fold down) Lift tailgate and also lift window,
Lots more stuff that I have to figure out yet.
If my first post didn't come across as to the reason I bought this, it was because my 08 GMC burned oil, 2 qts. per oil change, one qt. per 500 miles if I was towing my trailer. Last vehicle I owned that burned oil was my 55 Merc. back in 1964. There is no reason for a car today to burn oil. If you research the GMC 5.3 engine you'll see that it has this problem.
Even the owners manual says 1 qt. per 2000 is not considered excessive. BULLSHIT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Buckrub
06-11-2013, 08:56 PM
I don't have AFM, and no oil burning problems.

Sounds like a nice ride. Will it pull the camper?

Niner
06-11-2013, 09:16 PM
It should do a good job pullin' the RV. My BIL has had an Expedition for years.....and he has pulled their camper all over creation...or at least the Southeast. He likes that ol' ride so much that a couple of years ago he had the outside redone. All dents/dings removed, new paint, etc.

I have ridden in it....it DOES ride better than his last Ferd pickumup.

Big Skyz
06-12-2013, 02:22 PM
Nice ride JB. I expect it will suit your needs perfectly.

Thumper
06-12-2013, 02:34 PM
How are things going with your Found On Road Dead Mr. Sky? Haven't heard much latey, did you get all the bugs worked out?

Sunshine
06-12-2013, 08:45 PM
Hay don't be making fun of a FORD!!!

I love my ranger!!! :D

Niner
06-13-2013, 06:57 AM
Like I said above, Sunny. SOME people have good luck with fords. I had an '86 Ranger that puked its transmission in the middle of nowhere in Kansas in '89(??) on a 4th of July weekend. THAT was some fun....NOT. AND, to top it off it was just a FEW miles outside of their wonderful 26K warranty, which meant we were screwed. Talk about ruining a good vacation! I'll tell that story another time though.

BarryBobPosthole
06-13-2013, 07:05 AM
Fucked-up Old Rebuilt Dodge.

The oil burning thing is a new one on me.my old thirteen year old Chevy is usually only down about a half quart when I change my oil, and that's typically at about 8k.

Enjoy your new hoopie though! I have new truck fever bad!

BKB

Thumper
06-13-2013, 08:50 AM
I hate to admit this, but I probably haven't checked my oil level between changes for 20 years now. In my younger days, I thought I'd never be saying that in my lifetime, but I finally got out of the habit because the level never changed. Heck, I couldn't tell you the last time I raised the frigging hood to be honest.

'Course ... I DO drive a To .... well, you know! ;)

Thumper
06-13-2013, 08:57 AM
Niner ... I'm sure I could research it on the net, but your post got me wondering. Did Ford have problems with the mid to late-80's Ranger tranny's? I ask because when I lived in California, my next door neighbor was a huge Ranger fan and that's all he drove back then. His Ranger puked a trans. at very low mileage and they REPLACED it (no rebuild). It puked again about 6000 miles later. He worked some sort of deal with Ford (or the dealer?) and they put him in a new Ranger for very little $$$ out-of-pocket. I don't remember if he threatened them with the Lemon Law or what, but he got a new one. You guessed it ... THAT one puked a tranny also! This was the mid. to late-80's, I'm not sure of the exact year, but Lynn was with me and we only lived together in that house from '85-'89.

Niner
06-13-2013, 10:36 AM
Not to TOATALLLLY hijack Bubba's thread......but then this is GoodHunting.....

Yepper, I'm pretty sure that tranny had a design flaw.
https://www.google.com/#output=search&sclient=psy-ab&q=ford+a4ld+transmission+problems&oq=Ford+A4LD&gs_l=hp.1.1.0l4.1664.4932.0.8366.9.8.0.1.1.0.127.6 84.7j1.8.0...0.0...1c.1.17.psy-ab.WGbRI-do-Y0&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.47883778,d.eWU&fp=b2e6dc792bf82471&biw=1280&bih=615

I STILL remember the part number of that tranny. A4LD. They "fixed" it. I think they put in a new pump or something. About 30 miles down the road from the dealer it smoked again. Fortunately we were near a gas station, coasted in, and called the dealer (this was back in the pre-cell phone days). He came out with his tow truck and hauled it back to their one-horse town. He was very sorry that the fix didn't work...and I think pretty embarrassed. He told us it would need a new tranny, and it would take a couple of WEEKS for it to get there AND it would cost...because the warranty was expired...about $2000 IIRC. We ended up just trading in the truck on a demo Taurus they had there, and coming back home....and if I remember correctly we got a pretty good deal. Seems like he allowed about what we'd paid for the truck in trade-in value.

Anywhoo.....the whole deal is a pretty long story. I may type up a thread on it one of these days because it would be a good read.

Chicken Dinner
06-13-2013, 10:44 AM
I had a late 80's Bronco II that was a great little truck and never gave me a bit of a problem. Most of my 4-wheeling at the time was in the sand (surf fishing) or snow and the short wheel base and light weight made that thing the bomb.

Thumper
06-13-2013, 10:59 AM
Yep, Niner ... I looked at your link and it says that tranny was introduced in 1988. That would be about right now that I think about it. I now remember he bought the new Ranger and blew two trannys. They then put him in another new Ranger and he blew a tranny in that one. He was so pissed off after that, he traded that Ranger on a Mustang. Ha ha ha! I just read on your link, that same tranny was used in the Mustang! We moved back to Florida in '89 so I have no clue if he blew the Mustang tranny or not. If so, that would have made me think SERIOUSLY about changing brands!

River1
06-13-2013, 11:41 AM
I know I'm new to this site and all and don't ever post. Mostly just lurk in the back ground and all but when Thump started talking about blowing two trannies I shot grape koolaid outta my nose all over my desk.... I've heard some pretty nasty stuff in my day but that about tops them all... Thump you is nasty!!!

Thumper
06-13-2013, 11:57 AM
You know ... it hit me as I was posting ... and I couldn't help but wonder who would be the first to mention that. I need to make one thing perfectly clear though ... I was talking about my neighbor! ;)

Chicken Dinner
06-13-2013, 12:09 PM
Pull up a stump River 1. I think you're going to fit right in.

Buckrub
06-13-2013, 12:11 PM
The oil burning problem was directly related to the Active Fuel Management system. If you don't have one, (and I don't) then this issue doesn't occur.

jb
06-13-2013, 12:53 PM
Bucky is right, I think, GM even put out a bulletin about the problem, local GMC dealer was ready to look at mine but I solved the problem by getting rid of it.

BarryBobPosthole
06-13-2013, 04:42 PM
River1, that's about as fine an intro to Goodhunting as I've ever seen. Chortling over Jimbo blowing trannies.
Chortle chortle, snort.
(it's his hobby)

BKB

River1
06-14-2013, 09:05 AM
I fully expected a full blown (pun intended) Thumper story about how he knew this one guy this one time who loved blowing trannies. I had hoped his story would help me pass the time on this boring Friday in an empty office... I gotta admit I'm a little disappointed... So that I don't complete hijack this post I will say that I am a Ford (First On Race Day) guy and love my Expedition. Best full size people mover out there.

Buckrub
06-14-2013, 09:06 AM
I 'spect Jim has blown his share of trannies, Riv........

Chicken Dinner
06-14-2013, 09:12 AM
Or, vice versa...

jb
06-14-2013, 10:02 AM
River1 welcome aboard, you'll do just fine around here.
One question will answer a lot about you " do you like boiled peanuts ?"

River1
06-14-2013, 10:24 AM
I will admit to trying boiled peanuts but I don't think the term "like" was ever used. The only question that comes up is why would you boil them when they taste so good dry roasted and salted?

Buckrub
06-14-2013, 10:25 AM
Don't know who he is, but he's my MAIN MAN!!! :friday

(These guys would boil pancakes, Riv)

jb
06-14-2013, 10:48 AM
You answered the question correct, you may now proceed to post as often as you like.

Arty
06-14-2013, 11:07 AM
Nice ride dude!

That 5.4 has plenty of power. Not the best mileage. Mine gets 15-16 around town

Thumper
06-14-2013, 01:11 PM
Unbelievable! Here I am in the hospital, in recovery and youse dufes are talking behind my freshly sliced and diced back! Bunch'a low-life's! 😉 Surgery went very well btw.

Captain
06-14-2013, 01:49 PM
Glad to hear it Kribbs!
Hope this is the last survey and they got you all fixed up!

River, Welcome aboard!
Take care, Captain
PS: boiled peanuts are the official snack food of Goodhunting.

River1
06-14-2013, 02:50 PM
Did I miss a memo about the boiled peanuts????? Was there a vote? I think something as serious as "official snack food of Goodhunting" deserves a vote. Is this a communist website? Where am I? (Chanting) BOILED NUTS SUCK BOILED NUTS SUCK BOILED NUTS SUCK....... say that really fast 3 times...... How about a vote?

Chicken Dinner
06-14-2013, 02:57 PM
I think maybe the new guy likes to suck boiled nuts. Better not ever let he and Thumper get together.

River1
06-14-2013, 03:08 PM
I'll just say I do not like boiled nuts but obviously a lot of people on this site do. Kinda disturbing. Wasn't this a FORD thread?

BarryBobPosthole
06-14-2013, 03:13 PM
Yes, why do you ask? It simply means you're nuts if you buy a Phord.

BKB

Niner
06-14-2013, 04:00 PM
I'll just say I do not like boiled nuts but obviously a lot of people on this site do. Kinda disturbing. Wasn't this a FORD thread?

BINGO!!! You have cracked the G/H code. I think there's an unwritten rule that any thread with over 8 posts has to have at least 2 subject changes.

Thumper
06-14-2013, 04:46 PM
Only Yankees and Bucky wouldn't like "bowled" (or is that boil't?) peanuts! ;)

Buckrub
06-14-2013, 04:49 PM
No, only ME AND RIVER MY MAIN MAN hate 'em.

And all of my family. Many of which.....ok SOME of which........are decent folks.

I don't like Fords either, but I'd own one. Some of 'em are nice. I even like Toyota's (if I didn't have to pull a camper). But I DO NOT BOIL FOODS THAT SHOULD BE PARCHED OR BAKED. OR FRIED. I boil.....um.....dang, there's little that I boil. Hot dogs on rare occasion. Ros'n Ears on occasion. Potatoes, if I'm making smashed taters. Chili (slow boil). Not much else.

Niner
06-14-2013, 05:02 PM
Buckster.....I'll betcha my Toyota will out-pull your Chevy. Just sayin.

Thumper
06-14-2013, 05:03 PM
Bucky;

I boil.....um.....dang, there's little that I boil ..... Potatoes, if I'm making smashed maters.

So you make your own 'mater paste? 'Mater sauce? Ketchup/Catsup? OUT OF POTATOES?????? ;)

Buckrub
06-14-2013, 05:10 PM
Niner, you're on. Your Toyota won't pull my camper worth spit, and my Chevy will.

And Thump, WHAT? Are you still on drugs? Huh?

P.S.
Did you come out ok? I can't keep up with all your medical travails.

Thumper
06-14-2013, 05:18 PM
Bucky; (you're slow today)

And Thump, WHAT? Are you still on drugs? Huh?

I ain't much of a cook ... but even I know you boil potatoes to make smashed "TATERS"

Catsup is made from smashed "maters"! ;)

Buckrub
06-14-2013, 05:41 PM
Did I not say that one of the things I use 'boiling' for is smashed taters?

I hope you came out ok. I worry about you.

Thumper
06-14-2013, 05:42 PM
Buckster;

Niner, you're on. Your Toyota won't pull my camper worth spit, and my Chevy will.

I don't know about that Buckster. You may be living in the Dark Ages. I don't remember what year Silverado(?) you have, seems like it's somewhere around 2008(?).

Don't know what engine you have either, so (just guessing) here's the 2008 Silverado towing specs:

4.8 Liter V-8 .... 6500lbs.
5.3 Liter V-8 .... 7500lbs.
6.0 Liter V-8 .... 10,500lbs.

So, for the sake of argument, let's say you've got the biggest and baddest 6.0 @ 10,500lbs.

(Co9 drives a Tundra)

The (big V-8) 2008 Toyota Tundra (and mind you, Toyota is supposedly conservative with their capacity figures) rates their towing capacity at 10,800lbs. ;)

Thumper
06-14-2013, 05:50 PM
Did I not say that one of the things I use 'boiling' for is smashed taters?

I hope you came out ok. I worry about you.

Dang Buckster! I spelled it out for you already. Just messin' with you so don't go Postal on me. I'll type slooooowly this time.

Like you once said ... it ruins the "joke" if I have to 'splain it.

You said you boil POTATOES to make smashed MATERS

I make MATER sauce out'ta "smashed MATERS" ... I make smashed TATERS with boiled POTATOES.

Keep reading it slooooowly ... it'll sink in .... (maybe). :D

Buckrub
06-14-2013, 05:56 PM
Yeah. Toyota's are all over the Interstate pulling those travel trailers. Man I see a LOT of 'em. Well.............to be honest, I've yet to see one.

Thumper
06-14-2013, 05:57 PM
That's 'cause you live in the bassackwards State of Arkansas.

BUT .... what difference does it make ... facts are facts ... quit dancing. ;)

Buckrub
06-14-2013, 06:24 PM
I don't care either way. I am not against Toyota's (other than Japan doesn't play fair and let us build Chevy plants in Japan).........

I'm simply saying I see zero Toyota's pulling Campers. Last summer I pulled 3,415 miles through AR, OK, KS, CO, NE, IA, MI, MO, and back home........zero Toyota's were seen pulling campers. If you want us to be a backwards state, fine. Don't move here. But to me, backwards is another definition by Yankees and Goobers for "smarter than most, and very quiet about it".

And Thump, I see my typo now, fixed it. I had Maters on my mind because FOR THE FIRST TIME IN MY LIFE (DON'T ASK) I MADE HOMEMADE SALSA A FEW MINUTES AGO! Son, it is larrupin. I had to make some without peppers, etc, for my wife. It tastes fine, but not much taste at all really. So I poured hers into a few little jars, and then added hot sauce, jalepenos, more Rotel..........and man o man, it is good.

jb
06-14-2013, 06:29 PM
Don't see them towing around here either. End of the month we have a really big shoot in the southern part of the state, maybe a 100+ campers, motor homes etc. Most pickups are diesel, if they are towing 5th wheels,mainly Chevy's then Dodge and Fords. Travel trailers are towed by 1/2 ton gas pickups, about evenly split between Chevy's (GMC) and Fords, very few gas Dodge pickups.
I don't ever remember seeing a Yota towing a camper, guess I'll have to keep an out for one.

Buckrub
06-14-2013, 06:35 PM
Never seen one either, Bubba.

But these guys are Japanese believers. I think they're nice trucks. Just not enough capability for me.

Thumper
06-14-2013, 07:02 PM
Like ANYBODY'S gonna see much of anything but domestics in Michigan of all places! ;)

Niner
06-14-2013, 07:15 PM
https://www.google.com/search?q=tundra+towing+camper&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.47883778,d.eWU&biw=1280&bih=615&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=waO7Udb8Fobc8wTZkoGQAg

:D

I will readily admit that I have not pulled much with this truck........because...........CANCER SUCKS.

Thumper
06-14-2013, 07:35 PM
I know it's hype ... but it's still fun to banter. Heck, a bone-stock 'Yote can haul 300,000 pounds!! ;)

Story: There are publicity stunts, and then there's using a Toyota Tundra to tow the 145-ton Space Shuttle Endeavour across interstate 405 in Los Angeles. That's exactly what happened Saturday night when Toyota lent a hand pulling the retired spacecraft over a bridge en route to the California Science Center. As it turned out, the Manchester Boulevard Bridge couldn't stand up to the weight of both the shuttle and the traditional tow vehicle, which sent organizers searching for something a little lighter to cover the five-minute drive across the bridge. As a 20-year sponsor of the science center, Toyota stepped in to help out.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/lpCJ-H0iUzI?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Buckrub
06-14-2013, 08:06 PM
|A Yugo would pull it too. Just needs a while to get started.

The issue is not pulling it. The issue is "pulling it easily".........

Driving out west with a pickup and a travel trailer............not many Yotes out there. None, actually.

Thumper
06-14-2013, 08:42 PM
I'll pull a Bucky bail-out and just admit you're correct (except for the Yugo bit).

They sell the piss out'ta them 'Yotas, but I have no clue where they're all hiding. People must be embarrassed to own 'em so they're hiding 'em in their garages or sumpin'! ;)

I'll end the silly banter now. ;)

Captain
06-14-2013, 09:18 PM
No lie thumper, I was just thinking of texting you and asking you to do just EXACTLY what you did...
That is scary.
Take Care, Captain

Buckrub
06-14-2013, 10:05 PM
You know what's odd? I guess I'm a bad Googler. I can't find much of anything that compares the pulling power of the top 4 truck sellers lately. I don't get much at all, and most of it is 2005 or something.

Wonder why? You'd think this would be a comparison easy to find.

???

Thumper
06-14-2013, 10:14 PM
I'm with you Buckster ... I had to DIG just to find tow ratings. I think they all deal in vagueness anydamnway and there are so many variables, who knows what is what? It just gives us sumpin' to "argue" about. :D

Yeah Cappy .. I agree ... I think it ran it's course. We all like what we like and they're all the same in a lot of ways when comparing apples to apples. Like guns ... try selling Gunther a new Remington! ;)

Gunther
06-15-2013, 12:06 PM
Kinda funny how FLATLANDERS compare towing capacities. Kinda like two short dicked guys having a "who has the bigger pecker" contest. Even the winner can't really brag about it............................

If all y'all really need to have towing capacities that high may I suggest, Freightliner, Western Star, Mack, Peterbuilt, etc. Probably get a lot better mileage than that 6 liter shivvy too.

Buckrub
06-15-2013, 12:15 PM
Flatlander?

I NEVER saw NUTHIN in my life as flat and as empty as yore area of Earth, man! Geez! We have the Ozarks, Ouachitas, you have..........um............wheat.

Gunther
06-25-2013, 11:51 AM
You thinkin' of across the border. Even here we gots hills and river breaks and stuff. And my area of the earth is actually Black Hills, Snowy's, Big Horns, Rocky's and the like.