PDA

View Full Version : Sometimes it just isn't worth it....

Big Muddy
06-12-2013, 08:51 AM
Sometimes, this is all the payment you get for helping out kinfolks!!!!

Loaded and hauled my utility tractor 70 miles roundtrip to help out a relative in her backyard.

When I loaded up to leave, I had to drive thru an alley to get out to the main street.

Cab of tractor hit a huge frigging over-hanging red oak limb that was hidden by smaller limbs.

She handed me a bottled water, and said thanks, and walked away.

Chicken Dinner
06-12-2013, 09:23 AM
There goes her invitation to BM's Christmas party!

Thumper
06-12-2013, 09:42 AM
Man that sucks.

Thump story:

I bought a large storage shed years ago and I knew they'd have to drive under a big oak in the backyard to place it where I wanted it. I got up there with clippers and a chainsaw to clear all the lower hanging limbs so the only thing showing on the bottom was the main beam. I then measured the clearance and passed the info on to the company. They said there'd be no problem. They showed up with a rollback with TWO large sheds on it (I'd expected a "lowboy" type trailer) and I told them I didn't think they'd have enough clearance. They assured me they'd get it in there. It barely cleared ... and I mean BARELY ... but they got it unloaded and tied down, then got ready to go deliver the second shed they had on the truck. They pulled out and proceeded to rip the whole roof off that other shed! I guess once they unloaded mine, it took the weight off the suspension and the bed raised up a few inches. Needless to say, they were a bit pissed off (at themselves I assume).

LJ3
06-12-2013, 09:57 AM
Wait a minute... just playing devils advocate here. Aren't you the dufus that ran your tractor in to a cab bending branch? Granted, she could have shown some concern and what not :)

Thumper
06-12-2013, 10:19 AM
Wait a minute... just playing devils advocate here. Aren't you the dufus that ran your tractor in to a cab bending branch? Granted, she could have shown some concern and what not :)

Glad you said it ... I was afraid to. I think I learned that in "Truck Driving 101" class. ;)

Sorry Edward ... it still sucks big-time.

Captain
06-12-2013, 10:28 AM
Man that sucks...

Been there and done that many time, not the tractor but like and similar stuff.
It don't make helping out easier to volunteer for does it.
Take Care, Captain

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Big Muddy
06-12-2013, 11:46 AM
Look guys Im not asking for anything.
Sure didnt insinuate that.
I offered to help out at no expense to her at all.

And, Len, her showing no concern was what really irked me because it was her tree and she watched it happen.

Just saying, that sometimes even good intentions bite you in the azz.

Thumper
06-12-2013, 12:01 PM
Understandable .... but this is G/H ... ya' KNOW we have to throw at least one jab! ;)

Buckrub
06-12-2013, 12:17 PM
Hate to see this happen.

IF it had to happen, glad someone other than me admits to it!!!!! :)

Big Muddy
06-12-2013, 12:48 PM
Woohoo, after about 3 hours of heating and bending the brackets and braces, I got her fixed good as new.

No permanant damage

And to top it all, just got a text from her.

She said she felt bad about my cab, and wants to take wifey and me out for supper at the Crystal Club steak house.

Some of the best steaks and seafood in the delta!!!

So, I guess all things end well, etc. etc.

Thumper
06-12-2013, 12:49 PM
Is the a/c unit on your new camper mounted on the top Buckster? If so, watch for tree limbs or it could end up sliding down the street behind you someday!

Thumper
06-12-2013, 12:50 PM
Good news Edward ... sounds like she simply didn't know what to say when it happened.

Buckrub
06-12-2013, 01:30 PM
Yep, Thump, it is. And BEFORE I went and got it, I had the cable company (service of city government) come out and move my aerial internet cable that was over the driveway, up a few feet. Now it's 13 feet high and I can get under it just fine.

But just like fishing with 11 foot poles, you gotta look up!!!

LJ3
06-12-2013, 01:41 PM
I was just bustin' your chops muddyman. It'd be nice to see some concern. At least ask you if you bumped that abnormally large head of yours, or supmin :D

Sunshine
06-12-2013, 01:52 PM
He was just lookin for some free steak!! :p

Buckrub
06-12-2013, 01:53 PM
ain't we all?

Big Muddy
06-12-2013, 01:58 PM
I was just bustin' your chops muddyman. It'd be nice to see some concern. At least ask you if you bumped that abnormally large head of yours, or supmin :D

Awww, heck Lenster, I know that ;)....but, seriously, that frigging limb was about a foot in diameter, and stopped my truck and trailer in it's tracks.

Dang near sent me and my helper thru the windshield.

Big Muddy
06-12-2013, 02:02 PM
He was just lookin for some free steak!! :p

Hehehe....she isn't blood-kin, and ain't bad-lookin'....sorta short and dumpy, though.

No telling WHAT she might give me, if I go back, and tear up my whole tractor????? ;)

Sunshine
06-12-2013, 02:14 PM
A big frying pan skillet indention, on your head, from your wife!! Lol

Buckrub
06-12-2013, 03:08 PM
Mother is having surgery in the morning, to remove a large mass from her breast. They already biopsied it, and it's benign.......probably result of wreck. But it's hurting her, and anytime an 85 y/o woman goes under, it's not always safe.

A few wouldn't hurt.

Thanks.

P.S.
Daughter #1 made it to CO Springs, and the fire is flared up again, but they still say they are a few miles south of it. Sure looks close to me. Grandkids are a bit scared. So is Grandpa.

Sunshine
06-12-2013, 08:44 PM
Prayers heading your way, Bucky, for you and your family. Hope she comes through the surgery with flying colors!!!