PDA

View Full Version : Bucky, update on fire situation

jb
06-14-2013, 04:02 PM
That's one badass fire they have, feel really sorry for all those folks. How's your daughter doing?

Buckrub
06-14-2013, 04:44 PM
Two daughters there now, one flies home to SC tomorrow. They have totally escaped it so far.......but they are at most 4 miles away to the south. Winds are away from them so far.

It is apparently getting better.

Here are some unreal pictures.

http://photos.denverpost.com/2013/06/11/photos-black-forest-fire-engulfs-homes-prompts-evacuations/#1

Thumper
06-14-2013, 04:50 PM
Looks to me like the "Black Forest" is living up to it's name!

Hope the wind continues to blow favorably Buckster. 'Course if it should reverse, is there any fuel left to keep it going? Heck, a wind reversal may HELP fight that thing ... like a giant fireline.p

Buckrub
06-14-2013, 04:52 PM
Not much being said right now. I suspect they think it's arson. That's Bucky "reading between the lines" and nothing else. This one is bad.

Black Forest started out as an area of heavy, heavy pines (not many such areas, really, around there), and very secluded homes. Almost a 'gated' bunch. Then it got a bit bigger, spread out.

now it's gone.

Thumper
06-14-2013, 04:55 PM
The homes maybe ... but I'd assume the pines are still there. They survive "burn-offs" pretty well, don't they?

Captain
06-14-2013, 05:34 PM
No not this time of the year. And a small creeping fire along the ground they will tolerate. But a fire that gets up in the canopy will kill the pines anytime of the year.
I'm sure the ones in this case are "toast". Literally.
Take Care, Captain

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Thumper
06-14-2013, 06:04 PM
Good point Cappy. I'd have to think the present fire is a HOT one ... and like you say, the trees are vulnerable due to the drought conditions out there. Guess I 'twernt thinkin'.

Burn-offs are common here ... but as you say, they're only permitted during ideal conditions.

Captain
06-15-2013, 08:36 AM
Yea I burn as much land as anybody in the spring. I burnt 60 acres of pine this spring, and running a little fire across the ground, backing slowly into the wind where the flames get 3 to 4 foot high max, with good fire breaks and cool spring temps is a hell of a lot different than a fire running WITH the wind 70 feet high. Those fires kill every tree in its path. Pines can take fire around their trunks but cannot recover from fire in their canopy.
That is one bad fire they got out there where Buckys daughter(s) are...
Take care, Captain

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Buckrub
06-15-2013, 09:42 AM
http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/06/14/18955069-crews-see-progress-against-killer-colorado-wildfire?lite=