PDA

View Full Version : Today's surgery (thanks for askin' Buckster)

Thumper
06-14-2013, 06:52 PM
I had to be at the hospital at 5:30 am to get prepped for my surgeon's (who's become a personal friend) first surgery of the day. He told me if all goes well, he'll just make it an "out-patient" type thing ... says he knows Lynn can give me as good or better care than any nurse ... but if there is even a HINT of a problem, I was to return to the hospital ER immediately. I chose the out-patient route as I'm REALLY tired of hospital rooms!

The day started out as my usual prep routine ... flirting with the nurses. After the first 5 mins, I had 'em in stitches (no pun intended). Then after an hour or so, things settled down a bit and the anesthetist said he was going to induce a little something to help me "relax". That's the last thing I remember until I woke up in Recovery! ;)

Of course, as soon as I could flap my jaws, I started messin' with the recovery room nurse and before I knew it, two of the nurses came up from the surgery floor on their lunch break to check on me. (I love those gals) ;)

Things went really well and the doc gave the ok to release me under Lynn's care. I told the nurse I was starving and couldn't wait to hit the Thai Restaurant down the street, but she advised me against it after such a short time coming out of anesthesia. 'Course, we went anyway and I ordered one of the spiciest/hottest things on the menu. Actually, the options were, "mild, medium, hot, very hot or Thai Style" ... of course I went for Thai Style ... and with no ill affects I might add (thank goodness). Note: It did NOT go well at all under the same circumstances after a colonoscopy a few years back! THAT was NOT pleasant. But that was pizza ... and there's no way in Hell I'm gonna waste a nice THAI meal like that! ;)

Now, a couple months ago, I was told I was gonna have to go into rehab to break my addiction to pain pills (Morphine and Percocet). I told 'em to stuff their rehab where the sun don't shine ... I ain't no wimp and I ain't hooked. They explained how I may not be, but my BODY is and they'd have to wean me off the things (which I was already doing myself anydamnway) and get me on something else for the pain (non-narcotic I assume). I went straight home and threw every pill I had away! (since then I found out they would have been worth a small fortune on the streets ... like to the tune of about $10,800 frigging $$$$!!!!) No wonder the (street) drug trade is so lucrative! Anyway, no real loss on my part 'cause I ain't into that anyway, but it's kind of mind boggling!

Heck, I haven't taken more than a few Advil for the past couple months ... and very few of those actually. So, I check out of the hospital, they hand Lynn my box of goodies ... tape & bandages, saline, antibiotic salve and ... you guessed it, a pill bottle containing 120 Percocet! Hmmm, with a street value of $30 each ... that comes out to .... naaaa, I'll hang onto 'em for a while in case the pain REALLY kicks in, but so far, the hospital meds have worn off and I'm in no more pain than I normally experience on a daily basis. Don't get me wrong, they did a lot of cutting and it HURTS ... I think I've just lived with it so long, I'm used to it.

So I'm fine, the surgery went well and I'm sitting at home instead of lying in some hospital bed. If I don't feel any worse than this tomorrow, I may even hit a few estate sales in the morning! From past personal experience though, it seems the SECOND day after any sort of "injury" is the worst, so Sunday "may" be a rough one. I'll have to wait and see.

Thanks for the well-wishes dufes (here, phone, text & e-mail) ... it's really appreciated.

Captain
06-14-2013, 07:12 PM
Good deal Kribbs, glad to know you are at home. Just seems ya heal better there.
Hope this is your last surgery!
Take Care, Captain

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Big Muddy
06-14-2013, 07:52 PM
You're a tough dufus, Thump.
Glad you came thru the surgery okay.

Sunshine
06-14-2013, 09:59 PM
Good to hear everything went well. Now don't do too much. :)

Thumper
06-15-2013, 08:20 AM
Thanks guys. Guess who wimped out this morning? I had my usual "full" nights' sleep ... went to bed about 2:30 and got up at 6:00. :(

I woke Lynn up and said, "Come on honey, let's hit a couple of estate sales this morning!"

After a short "are you crazy" look, her reply was, "Sure, ok ... just give me another 30 mins. sleep and we'll go."

Needless to say, here I am and take one guess where she is. Oh well, they started yesterday anyway and I like to be one of the first through the door ... so maybe I'll let it slide this week.

What the heck? I have plenty to do today anydamnway. I just got an e-mail from e-Bay telling me what a wonderful customer I am, so they're giving me 400,000 free listings! The catch is, I have from today (midnight last night) until midnight on the 21st to use my listings. Hmmm, so that means .... sorry, had ta' grab the calculator here ... if I post 46.3 listings/minute and work at it 24 hrs/day ... I'll be able to use all my free listings! Thank you e-bay! :D

I'd better get to work ... I'm waaaay behind already! (I kid you not)

List auction-style FREE* June 15–21

List up to 400,000 items auction-style for free!

*By invitation only and applies to thump, do not forward. Limit of 400,000 auction-style or auction-style with Buy It Now listings.

LJ3
06-15-2013, 08:57 AM
Dude, I think the morphine auction could have been your best deal yet :)

Glad to hear things went well! Are they ever gonna work on your ugly mug?

Buckrub
06-15-2013, 09:33 AM
So what did they do this time?

What's the prognosis?

Fido
06-15-2013, 09:45 AM
Good tooo hear yer doin ok! Who ya pickin tooomorrow at MIS, there runnin 215 on the straights!

Thumper
06-15-2013, 10:36 AM
Bite me Ticboy! ;)

Fido! It's always great to see you checking in ... quit being such a stranger! These days, it's anybody's game, but Carl kicked butt in qualifying. I like him, he's a great guy and I would really like to see him get a win ... even if he does drive a Phord. Yep, that track is fast and the new surface is only two years old ... so I see it getting even a bit faster down the road. I sure hope NASCAR doesn't start looking at restrictor plates for that track. It should be a good race!

Big Skyz
06-15-2013, 01:58 PM
Man Jim you are one tough hombre. Not sure how you do it, but I guess a guy just does what he has to do.

Captain
06-15-2013, 05:37 PM
Tell Lynn that old 30 more minute sleep trick worked great to get you out of the house ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

TeeDub
06-15-2013, 07:29 PM
Glad that's over and you're feeling fine Jim. I expected nothing less of you. Not sure how you manage to stay...... strong.... through all those operations you've had. Almost slipped there and said sane instead of strong. Caught myself just in time!

Thumper
06-15-2013, 09:48 PM
Hey there you crazy old Canuckian! Dang it's good to see you drop in here. If ... or when you feel up to it, please give us an update on how things are going with you. I have my old walleye-slayer fishing cap hanging right over my computer monitor (the one I left in your boat and you sent it back during my first hospital stay). It's staring me in the face on a daily basis as a constant reminder of you ... so you're thought about daily buddy! Hope you and Marg are doing well ... at least as well as possible under the circumstances.