PDA

View Full Version : Lookie Here What Followed Me Home....

Niner
06-16-2013, 07:18 AM
I've been waffling on getting one of these jokers for several years now. Like Chicken Dinner, I found this rascal on the Craigslist the other day and it was just too good of a deal to pass on. Picked up the BIL and went to get it. Needed him to assist with loading since I am not supposed to pick up anything over 15# yet. Gonna get it cleaned up and see if I can get this EGG thing figured out.

On another note, this turned out to be the furthest that I have driven since before I got sick! AND, I did real well....even in the A-town traffic. I thought my back would be killing me when I got home...but no problem.

I know there are a few of y'all on here that have the Big Green Egg...I guess I'm now a "member" of the club. Is there a secret handshake or something??

You can see my old "gasser", and the Performer in the background. Starting to look like a used grill store around here. :lmao

BarryBobPosthole
06-16-2013, 09:32 AM
Congrats! You're gonna love it!
BKB

Captain
06-16-2013, 10:48 AM
That's cool! Now you will probably build a big Nest for that egg! :D
Take Care, Captain

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Buckrub
06-16-2013, 08:45 PM
Does Toyota make that thing?

:)

Chicken Dinner
06-16-2013, 09:07 PM
Another Egghead in the house!

Niner
06-17-2013, 02:50 AM
Well.....WOW!!!
I did a rack of baby back ribs for dinner. Cooked for about 4 hours at about 250° according to the thermometer.

Turned out to be falling-off-of-the-bone gooooood. Di liked to have had a fit they were so good. And the good thing was after I got the temp dialed in I didn't really have to touch it the rest of the cook. Not bad for the first try

Chicken Dinner
06-17-2013, 08:33 AM
The only mistake I made my first couple of cooks was not letting the fire burn long enough to get a good "clean" smoke before putting the meat on. Even though I didn't use any chemicals to light the fire, it still had a bit of a taste. Once I figured that out, it's been gravy.

BarryBobPosthole
06-17-2013, 09:30 AM
About the only advice I'd give you is to make yourself a little short handled hoe-like tool and keep the ashes scraped out of the bottom ever once in a while. It keeps the air flow consistent. Its a lot easier to clean it before you have a bunch of food on the smoker than it is during! It doesn't fill up that often but you know how old Murph is with his laws and such.

enjoy it. I sure have enjoyed mine and mine ain't even good and broke in good yet.
BKB

Chicken Dinner
06-17-2013, 10:38 AM
Of course, BGE does offer such a tool - for a price! Also, as I learned the hard way and Barry discovered by accident, you want to position the screw on the daisy-wheel at about 6 o-clock. Otherwise, when you open the lid the whole wheel (not just the vents) can slide wide open and that thing will get real hot, real fast.

Buckrub
06-17-2013, 10:48 AM
Is there a Big Green Bird somewhere? If so, I bet he has a Yeti cooler.