PDA

View Full Version : WTF????

Thumper
06-17-2013, 10:00 PM
I don't get it. What happened to helping build OUR economy? Heck, I'm sure a domestic company could have built these for that kind of money.

http://news.yahoo.com/u-says-buy-russian-helicopters-afghan-military-235916720.html

http://l1.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/M0bSfDNLdkAJxVX1agGw.A--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7Y2g9MzAwO2NyPTE7Y3c9NDUwO2R4PTA7ZH k9MDtmaT11bGNyb3A7aD0zMDA7cT04NTt3PTQ1MA--/http://media.zenfs.com/en_us/News/Reuters/2013-06-17T235916Z_1_CBRE95G1UN300_RTROPTP_2_RUSSIA-USA-HELICOPTER.JPG

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The Pentagon said on Monday it will spend $572 million to buy 30 Russian-built military helicopters that will be used by Afghan security forces.

The Mi-17 helicopters will be used by Afghanistan's National Security Forces Special Mission Wing, which supports counter-terrorism, counter-narcotics and special operations missions.

The contract with Rosoboronexport, the Russian arms company, covers spare parts, test equipment and engineering support. The Pentagon said the work would be performed in Russia. It is expected to be completed by the end of 2014.

A year ago, the Defense Department purchased a dozen of the Mi-17 aircraft from Rosoboronexport for $217.7 million, as part of a larger contract originating in 2011.

BarryBobPosthole
06-18-2013, 07:40 AM
Apaches run about $60M per. These are bargain basement prices. If we're buying these guys choppers I'd just as soon it be the cheapest available.
BKB

Arty
06-18-2013, 08:08 AM
^ what he said.
But why the heck are WE buying them?!?

Chicken Dinner
06-18-2013, 08:17 AM
Plus, when we pull out and this thing goes south, and it will, I'd just as soon we weren't transferring our technology to the Taliban.

BarryBobPosthole
06-18-2013, 08:24 AM
There is a bit of irony in the afghan military flying Russian helicopters though.

BKB

Thumper
06-18-2013, 09:01 AM
P-hole;

Apaches run about $60M per. These are bargain basement prices. If we're buying these guys choppers I'd just as soon it be the cheapest available. BKB

To be honest, I haven't had the time to research it ... but that sho'nuf ain't no dang Apache wannabe! Not even close! That's a frigging medium-lift heliclopter in the pic and looks more like a "utility" craft to me. Heck, what's wrong with sending some of our old surplus Hueys over there?

The Mi-17 helicopters will be used by Afghanistan's National Security Forces Special Mission Wing, which supports counter-terrorism, counter-narcotics and special operations missions.

Aren't the old surplus UH1's what most of our DEA and LEO forces use these days for that same sort of stuff? I'll admit, I'm no aircraft expert and I'm sure somebody has put a lot of thought and research into this (???) but it sure seems there would be a much cheaper alternative ... especially one that doesn't involve sending millions of tax-payer $$$ to frigging Russia of all places.

BarryBobPosthole
06-18-2013, 09:04 AM
I'm kind of glad they did it this way. After all, it will be the Russians who have to deal with them on maintenance, upgrades, and the like once we're out of there, not us. I'd just as soon it be their civilians in there and not ours.

And giving it to an American company over a cheaper foriegn company is cronyism, not capitalism you commie.

BKB

Thumper
06-18-2013, 09:13 AM
And you and I are paying those Ruskies for their aircraft, then paying them to maintain them. I'd be willing to bet I could get on the phone right now and locate someone who would jump at the chance to set up a civilian UH1 maintenance facility over there!

Awww, it's a done deal anyway and who am I? Nobody in this country needs a job rebuilding/maintaining old junk anydamnway. I'm sure the Afghans will take good care of that new equipment.

BarryBobPosthole
06-18-2013, 09:17 AM
I guess we'll sell them the rotors later.

BKB

Thumper
06-18-2013, 09:23 AM
It's a "discount" model. Rotors are an "extra-cost" option! :D

Buckrub
06-18-2013, 09:30 AM
What's 'right' has become to be defined as what is cost efficient.

Chicken Dinner
06-18-2013, 09:48 AM
$500m is cheap if it gets us out if that god forsaken hell hole faster.

Thumper
06-18-2013, 10:01 AM
Heck, sending 'em a batch of old heliclopters doesn't prevent us from getting out'ta there. Any civilian 'clopter mechanic could keep those old workhorses running.

Neither giving them some of our surplus or buying shiny new aircraft from Russia doesn't prevent our troops from leaving.

I'm beating a dead horse anyway, the deal is done. I'm gonna go buy me a new printer ink cartridge. My ink ran out, so I grabbed a "new" cartridge box and found an old, empty cart inside that I was holding to recycle. Dang it! Later dufi.