PDA

View Full Version : Towing capacity question

Buckrub
06-19-2013, 01:57 PM
Why will a 2WD truck pull a heavier trailer, or have a higher trailer load capacity rating, than an exact same truck except 4WD???

Thumper
06-19-2013, 02:06 PM
It has to do with the GVWR. A 4WD truck is heavier to begin with. The GVWR (total weight of truck + cargo weight) would be the same for both. Since the 2WD is a lighter vehicle, it would be able to haul more cargo at GVWR.

LJ3
06-19-2013, 02:06 PM
4x4 and 4x2 will usually have the same GCWR if they have the same gear ratio and engine but the 4x4 will have 3-400 lbs less trailer capacity due to the increased weight of the 4x4 vehicle.

Thumper
06-19-2013, 02:19 PM
Beat ya'! ;)

Buckrub
06-19-2013, 02:22 PM
Thanks. I figured that, but couldn't wrap my head around the significant drop in some tables..........doesn't seem to me that the 4WD version would add THAT much weight........but I guess it does.

And I still don't know why TT owners don't drive Toyota's........10,000 lbs for a normal 1/2 ton truck is impressive...........but they don't. Has to be a reason. It ain't just owner loyalty, not in a segment that large.

Thumper
06-19-2013, 02:32 PM
Travel trailers are pulled by old-fart retirees who are stuck in their ways ... read; Big Three

Us younger, more enlightened folks know what's going on. :D

Buckrub
06-19-2013, 02:35 PM
Nah. True to some degree. But there are thousands upon thousands TT owners.....many young. Practically none use Toyota's. Heck, the 10,000 lb rating impresses me enough to look at 'em if I were in the market. I still don't know why Toyota doesn't make 'layers' of trucks...........1/2 ton, 3/4 ton, 1 ton, etc............ and if pressed to get one to pull this TT and still be a decent daily truck, I'd go with a Silverado 2500 HD.

Buckrub
06-19-2013, 02:56 PM
Good grief.

The arguments and discussions about ST tires vs LT tires for TT's would dwarf our discussions about Toyota trucks.

I ain't smart enough to own one of these things, it seems.

Thumper
06-19-2013, 03:00 PM
I think there are a couple of main factors ... location and percentages.

Ya' go to any campground or boat ramp in California and you'll see a shitload of Toyotas. Do the same in Arkansas or Ohio for example, not so much.

Then take into account percentages. There are elebenty-bazillion more domestic trucks on the road in this country than Nipponese trucks. Heck, Toyota didn't even enter the full-sized market until '99 (Tundra) . They had that half-pint T100 to test the market, but it was small and only came with a V-6. The domestic trucks have been around for 100+ years. Heck, I remember when the Tundra first came out, they had the most powerful V-8 in the industry ... except for that monster Cadillac motor in the bazillion-pound Escalade.

To be honest, I don't really keep up with what's out there in the full-sized market. I don't drive one, don't need one and don't want one. I will say, I LOVE the Tacoma and it's the perfect p/u for what I need.

Buckrub
06-19-2013, 03:02 PM
I wasn't just going on visuals.

I am going on comments on the Forest River Forums.........which I've learned a ton since I got this thing, and other sources. Folks just don't buy them. They don't even consider them. And these are guys (thousands of them) constantly searching for one more 'better thing' or more efficient thing.........

Doesn't add up to me.

Your comments have logic................I get it. But that isn't the answer, at least in my worthless opinion.

Found a couple of people who have 'em.......

http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f12/tundra-pulling-35ft-fiver-41910.html

still no 3/4 ton though. Odd.

Thumper
06-19-2013, 03:05 PM
My SEAL buddy has a saying that might fit you right now. If he were here right now, he'd say, "Buckster, you're trying to brain-fuck this thing to death!"

Buckrub
06-19-2013, 03:06 PM
If I were in the market for a vehicle, he'd be right.

I'm not, and I'm just chit chatting about stupid stuff on the internet with goofus'es.

But gotta go get forty two tons of ice soon. Later.

Thumper
06-19-2013, 03:09 PM
But gotta go get forty two tons of ice soon. Later.

I'll have to admit ... you may need TWO Toyotas for that! ;)

Buckrub
06-19-2013, 03:18 PM
OR my Chevy!

:)

Thumper
06-19-2013, 03:25 PM
Here ya' go Buckster ... your future 'Yota tow vehicle ... complete with 5th wheel if'n ya' wants it! ;)

http://image.trucktrend.com/f/9087488+w750+st0/163_0802_02z+custom_toyota_tundra_HD+front_view.jp g

http://image.trucktrend.com/f/9087491+w750+st0/163_0802_03z+custom_toyota_tundra_HD+rear_view.jpg

http://image.trucktrend.com/f/9345607+w750+st0/163_0802_09z+custom_toyota_tundra_HD+rear_view.jpg

Buckrub
06-19-2013, 03:38 PM
Don't want no fifth wheel.

Don't want no Dually.

Just want a 3/4 ton pickup.

Thumper
06-19-2013, 04:55 PM
Never say never! You have the bug! You bought a pop-up and kept it ... what? ... a few weeks? Then you stepped up to where you are now. Who knows what you'll need to haul this time next year? ;)

Niner
06-19-2013, 05:37 PM
From where I sit, I don't see a lot of campers at all...much less notice what's pulling them.
I'd have to say....even though I had a good one for 10+ years.....anybody towing a lot of weight with a Dodge is asking for trouble. Their tranny...er automatic transmission just ain't the bestest in the world. I got 125K outta mine because I did not tow much with it, and I had it flushed every 25-to-30Kmiles. Then again.....maybe the Mexicans are putting better trans in them these days.

What I DO see a lot of Tundras pulling is professional Bass Fishing boats. Why is that? Me not know.

And........you ARE correct there Mr. Rub. They do not make a 3/4 or one ton, or higher Yoter. At least not at this time. However....and this is a serious question because I never have really looked into it....What is the diff between a Ford/Chev/Dodge 1/2 and 3/4 ton truck other than a beefier suspension?

johnboy
06-19-2013, 05:37 PM
That's a good looking truck Jimbo. Is that an 'artists impression', a mockup, a custom rig or something real and coming from Toyota? Duallys are the cats ass when you gotta haul some weight but can be a pain in parking lots.

Thumper
06-19-2013, 06:12 PM
That's one some guy built after attending a Toyota show or something. I don't remember the details, but he talked to Toyota about it beforehand. They said it's not a "concept" truck per se' ... just a look at what one might look like ... IF they decided to build one.

Personally, I think the market is so miniscule (comparatively) for the 3/4 - 1T ... I doubt Toyota really wants to fool with it. To jump into an already thin market with yet another option ain't always the brightest thing to do from a sales stand-point. Of course that's JMHO ... FWIW. BTW ... Toyota usually hangs around the 10th - 12th largest company in the world mark. As a comparison, GM is usually in the very low 20's. Ford hangs around the 30 mark. Toyota's doing something right ... making bad business decisions probably isn't one of them. ;)