PDA

View Full Version : Truck Comparison by somebody..........dunno who they are

Buckrub
06-19-2013, 02:16 PM
http://special-reports.pickuptrucks.com/2013/06/2013-light-duty-challenge-results.html

Niner
06-19-2013, 05:51 PM
Well, there ya go. Buy a new ford and be a "happy camper". SOMEBODY has to keep them in business.

Actually, glad to see them win that "test" over the companies owned by obummer.

Thumper
06-19-2013, 06:15 PM
Well, I read through the comments and watched that video. When I saw that Mike Rowe was involved ... I figured it was nothing more than a Ford commercial anyway. ;) (the video I mean)

But, one comment caught my eye and was a pretty intelligent observation ... not the usual "my dick is bigger than your dick" comments you usually see.

While I freely admit that the relatively old Tundra doesn't have the interior refinement of newer offerings from Ram and GM, I'm mystified as to why these refinements are important.

It's almost as if there's two different comparisons underway here: One that measures what these trucks actually do, and one that measures how they make people feel.

Personally, I feel best with a capable truck, and I'd gladly trade a nifty gauge cluster for improved reliability, durability, SAE approved testing methods used to verify a tow rating, etc.

With respect to the time and effort involved, I think this comparison missed the mark in three key areas:

1. Resale value was not addressed at all, which is a key indicator of both long-term durability as well as overall value. Ram doesn't perform well in this area (at all) and should be docked accordingly.

2. Durability/reliability data from Consumer Reports, JD Power, Intellichoice, etc. seems to have been ignored. While it may be that consumers should have to collate all this data themselves, there's no denying that Toyota and Ford set the standard in these two areas. They should be awarded bonus points for winning this award for so long (Toyota has won the JD Power long-term durability award for 7 or 8 years in a row...where's the points for that?).

3. Autocross testing doesn't belong in truck comparisons - it never has. The relative parity in autocross times is a glaring indicator that a) none of these vehicles is designed for autocross and b) consumers can't possibly find value here.

I commend PickupTrucks.com for taking the time to complete this massive comparison, but this comparison needed to talk about long-term value/reliability. That's a huge factor in every consumer's decision, and it should therefore be a key portion of your comparison testing.

Niner
06-19-2013, 08:05 PM
I noticed......being a novice noticer....that none of them listed MSRP. At least I didn't see it.

jb
06-19-2013, 08:53 PM
Just below the individual truck review, see the little blue titles and check on "Overview" It lists the price of each truck and the options each truck has.

Captain
06-19-2013, 09:51 PM
JB is going for his advanced noticer badge!
:D
Take Care, Captain

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

jb
06-20-2013, 11:52 AM
Now all youse guys know why I bought my Phord. :wiggle

Niner
06-20-2013, 01:27 PM
Because it was the most expensive?

Niner
06-20-2013, 01:31 PM
Oh, I guess I have to take back the comment of the Rams being made in Mexico. Maybe they pulled production back stateside. NOW it looks like Government Motors is building down there. Wonder how their union likes that?

DeputyDog
06-21-2013, 09:05 AM
GM has been building in Mexico for quite a while. My 2003 Suburban was built in Mexico.

LJ3
06-21-2013, 10:42 AM
I've been giving a hard look at the GMC and Shivvy trucks this year. The Raptor is right up my alley and the dodge is in the hunt, to.

BarryBobPosthole
06-21-2013, 10:48 AM
Isn't the Raptor a Phord? I think Hombre bought one of those penile compensators.

BKB

LJ3
06-21-2013, 10:55 AM
Yes it is... Not sure I can stomach having a Ford but I like the performance specs of that compensator. My current compensator is getting pretty dang old and decrepit and what not.

Chicken Dinner
06-21-2013, 12:05 PM
I'm actually mulling the idea of going in another direction on my next vehicle. My current Tundra is an '04, but it's only got 68k miles on it. Instead of replacing it, I may just consign to hunting and hauling duty and pick up a two sweater convertible for a daily driver.

BarryBobPosthole
06-21-2013, 01:02 PM
CD, that's what I'm going to do. I'll probably buy a new truck next year, and plan to keep my old 2000 Chevy for a fishing truck and for whichever of my kids to use when they want to borrow my truck. Nobody but me will be allowed to drive my new one.
And for the same reason too. My 2000 Z71 has 110K on it and is still in great shape. This year pulling my boat to Canada and back will be the last trip up there for the old girl I think.

BKB

LJ3
06-21-2013, 01:11 PM
My 05 Titan has 160K and still runs good. I think it will be relegated to one of the kids. I prefer to have them in a 6000lb vehicle in northern Virginia.

BarryBobPosthole
06-21-2013, 01:23 PM
I'm looking hard at the Tacomas but I'm just not sure if it'll handle a 21 foot boat the way I need it too. More of a wheelbase issue than a power issue. I don't really like the full sized Yotas much though.

BKB

johnboy
06-21-2013, 02:33 PM
... and pick up a two sweater convertible for a daily driver.

If you're gonna need TWO sweaters, just put the top up. :D

Seriously though, lots of good deals on C6 'vettes now that the new super-dooper C7 is out.

BarryBobPosthole
06-21-2013, 02:42 PM
I think he was thinking of the driver in a tight sweater when he wrote that.

BKB

Chicken Dinner
06-21-2013, 02:54 PM
Nah, that'd be a two hooter convertible...

Thumper
06-21-2013, 02:57 PM
Two things I don't care for much ... sweaters and spitters. ;)