PDA

View Full Version : Jeezus H. Keerist!

Thumper
06-21-2013, 01:11 PM
I sold a couple of .22's to Hunter a year or so ago and threw in elebenty-bazillion rounds of .22 ammo with the deal. I've heard ammo is high, but sheeesh! I didn't know it was THIS high. (and this is from Cheaper Than Dirt!) Dang, I should'a kept the ammo ... I could be retired right now ... no wait ...

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/AMM-076

johnboy
06-21-2013, 01:23 PM
$60 for 100 rounds!? Is that a misprint or does .22 ammo really cost that much now? Been many years since I bought any (my son 'borrowed' my .22 and seems to have become very attached to it) but "Jeezus H. Keerist!" is right.

Thumper
06-21-2013, 01:38 PM
I'm with you Johnboy ... it's prolly been 20+ years since I bought any .22 ammo. I used to have a basic rule of thumb ... I refused to pay anything over a penny/round. I'd usually buy a "brick" (500 rounds) for $4.99 or less.

That CCI was my favorite. I've been seeing Bucky gripe recently about the cost of .22 ammo, but I had no clue it was THAT expensive. No idea if that's a misprint or not .. I haven't compared prices because I used to get great deals through CTD.

Buckrub
06-21-2013, 03:38 PM
It is not expensive. It is nonexistent.

HideHunter
06-21-2013, 03:54 PM
Everyone is screaming about CTD's prices. I think the gouging will cost them a bunch down the road. What little ammo that's showing up from legitimate dealers has about doubled in price. As Bucky says - the trick is in finding any. I have a few thousand rounds. I'm not taking part in the panic.

LJ3
06-21-2013, 03:58 PM
If I aim for the eye and it's doesn't take me more than two shots to kill each one.... I have enough to kill about 1500 zombies, give or take.

Niner
06-21-2013, 04:40 PM
I'd say that some pretty expensive dirt.

Midway ain't got none in stock, but the price they are posting isn't that outrageous.
http://www.midwayusa.com/find?usersearchquery=22+ammo&sortby=4&itemsperpage=24&newcategorydimensionid=16327

Buckrub
06-22-2013, 11:19 AM
Midway has great prices, because Larry don't gouge. But.....they won't even let you put rimfire ammo on your "notify me when in stock" list anymore.

There AIN'T NONE NOWHERE.

Old men, in droves, are hitting every walmart and sporting goods store that sells it, as soon as the shipment comes in, with their families, and buying it all up. Honest.

Thumper
06-22-2013, 08:20 PM
If I aim for the eye and it's doesn't take me more than two shots to kill each one.... I have enough to kill about 1500 zombies, give or take.

Hey Ticboy, it looks like Hornaday makes Zombie ammo for just about everything but your hogleg! ;)

http://ttag.zippykidcdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/Hornady-Zombie-ammo-courtesy-ar15.com_.jpg

Thumper
06-22-2013, 08:22 PM
Can't find .308 either.

Son came across some and could only get me 3 boxes legally. Then the owner let him swipe is card again for another 3.

I buy all I can, when I find it.

I been bitching about no ammo and when you find it, its expensive!!
Where you been? Sheesh

Sunny, do you shoot a .308 or a .380? ;)

Thumper
06-23-2013, 06:44 AM
So ya' think "spell check" changed .380 to .308? Are you blonde? :D

Niner
06-23-2013, 07:39 AM
This is why I started reloading years ago. When I went to buy a box of 41mags and the price THEN (mid 1980's) was ~$25/box I decided if I wanted to shoot that old S&W much I'd need to reload.

I am now set up to reload everything that I have except for 9mm.....and I don't shoot that enough to invest in the dies....for now.

They SAY you cannot reload 22 rimfire. BUT, I read an article in an old magazine I have here that talks about that. I'm not sure how they were producing the projectiles.....probably either casting them or swaging them from soft lead. Making the priming compound from match heads and using black powder. Said the Russian people had been doing that for years to "keep meat on the table" since they could not get any ammo. The article said they had about as many misfires as not though.....but they endeavored and persevered. If anyone is interested, I can prolly dig that old magazine out and scan the article.