PDA

View Full Version : Great way to start the summer

jb
06-22-2013, 09:08 PM
Kay bought two tickets to attend the Grand Traverse Art and Wine Festival, couple of thousand people outdoors sampling wine from about two dozen local wineries. Entertainment was Rodriguez ("Finding Sugar Man") He flew in from London for this show and flys back there tonight.
Great summer weather, great food, great art, wine sucked (can't drink the shit) bought a nice painting for my office. Wife had a good time, lots of friends to talk to.

Buckrub
06-22-2013, 10:44 PM
Hate wine.

All wine.

Otherwise sounds great.

Niner
06-23-2013, 07:53 AM
I LOVE me some Muscadine or Scuppernong wine.

These are "southern" grapes and so there's a limited number of wineries that make them.
These are sweet/semi-sweet wines. I cannot STAND a dry wine....just as I do not care for Gin.

Two "brands" that we like are:
Chateau Elan (made here in GA) http://www.chateauelan.com/epicurean/wine-list/
(They make a peach blend that some folks I know in SC/NC really like. :) )

and

Duplin (made in Capt's area) http://www.duplinwinery.com/index.php-page=wines&wines=7&parent=2&winename=Carolina%20Red.htm

BarryBobPosthole
06-23-2013, 08:44 AM
I like wine with good food. My two faves are good old italian chianti and most of the malbecs.
BKB

jb
06-23-2013, 02:53 PM
I only stopped at two places to see if they might have Mad Dog 20/20 or Boones Farm, niether one knew what I was talking about so I quit asking. :beer

LJ3
06-23-2013, 03:44 PM
I've started drinking more wine lately. I like trying different kinds. Lucia and I will go to this place that does "flights' of wine based on your preferences. They also have these machines at the back of the place that are loaded up with tons of different kinds. You can get everything from a small sip to a full pour which is cool. Add to that a really good small plate menu and you have a winner!

Some of the descriptions of the way the wine tastes is pretty dang funny to me.

Buckrub
06-23-2013, 09:08 PM
Jerry Clower said he heard two guys ordering wine once...

One said Chevrolet coupA on the highway....and the other one said something that sounded like. ...possum up a gum stump....

Big Muddy
06-23-2013, 09:18 PM
"""I don't always drink wine, but when I do, it comes in a box with a syphon hose sticking outta the bottom.""" ;)

Chicken Dinner
06-23-2013, 11:50 PM
Barry, have you ever tried a Sangiovese? It's the main varietal in Chianti. It's what I usually go for instead.

Captain
06-24-2013, 06:45 AM
I ain't much of a wine drinker but i have to admit that Chateau Elan is the cats meow....

LJ3
06-24-2013, 12:00 PM
Barry, have you ever tried a Sangiovese? It's the main varietal in Chianti. It's what I usually go for instead.

And that is a perfect example of how wine people talk :)

Chicken Dinner
06-24-2013, 12:21 PM
Ha! How little you know Ticboy. The above is just about the sum total of my wine knowledge and it I came on it by accident. Wine people talk in terms like, unctuous, notes, etc.

Thumper
06-24-2013, 12:50 PM
Lynn is a big-time wine lover. I can't stand the stuff ... unless it's the in bubbly form as Champagne/sparkling wine. 'Course I loves me some Sangria also!

I drank WAY more than my fair share of Boone's Farm as a youngin' ... but I don't suppose that counts, huh? :D

BarryBobPosthole
06-24-2013, 01:34 PM
Hank, I have not tried it but its on my list to try as soon as I get to the liquor store. The chianti ruffino classico is my all time favorite and I will add this one to my list. I see there is a Sangiovese from the same region. I think I might be a closet italian as my favorite way to drink these wines is in a big glass at room temp instead of those nancy boy wine glasses. And one bottle ain't in it.

BKB

LJ3
06-24-2013, 01:50 PM
It's a little late in the game to be playing the nancy boy card there, skippy :)

BarryBobPosthole
06-24-2013, 01:54 PM
Well, yeah, guilty I guess. I used to think there was nothing better than a cold beer with a steak. Now I'll take a bottle of chianti or a good malbec every time if I have it. Of course, a cold beer is still a fine accompaniment to a steak in a pinch.

BKB

LJ3
06-24-2013, 02:24 PM
I do like a nice strong tasting red with a well grilled ribeye. It makes both things taste better.

DeputyDog
06-24-2013, 03:13 PM
I'm not much of a wine drinker, but I do wish I'd paid more attention to the wines we were served in Italy. I really liked most of them, so much that I would drink a bottle myself at dinner.