PDA

View Full Version : KC here we come (proud Dad alert)

Bwana
06-24-2013, 04:31 PM
Heading out tomorrow afternoon to watch my oldest compete in the SkillsUSA National Champoinships in KC, Missouri.

Not sure what to do while we are there but I hear they have some good eats there so the wife and I will be sure to check that out along with anything else we find out about. Am flat out NOT looking forward to the 96-97 degree temps they are forecasting so might have to see if we can find some cold beverages to cut the heat a bit. Looking forward to cheering on my son and just relaxing a bit, if you can call the 11.5 hour one-way drive relaxing.

Anyway, below is a bit about the event:

SkillsUSA Championships
The SkillsUSA Championships is the showcase for the best career and technical students in the nation. Contests begin locally and continue through the state and national levels.

This is a multi-million dollar event that occupies a space equivalent to 16 football fields. In 2012, there were more than 5,700 contestants in 94 separate events. Nearly 1,500 judges and contest organizers from labor and management make the national event possible.

The philosophy of the Championships is to reward students for excellence, to involve industry in directly evaluating student performance and to keep training relevant to employers' needs.

Chicken Dinner
06-24-2013, 10:13 PM
Very cool and a fun place from what I've heard.

jb
06-25-2013, 08:34 AM
Wish him luck, he's there because he's with the best of the best.
Not sure if my old school is down there this year, but have fun.

BarryBobPosthole
06-25-2013, 08:39 AM
Good luck to him, and congrats on an awesome accomplishment.

You can't go wrong if you find an Oklahoma Joe's BBQ restaurant. I think there's one or two in the KC area. And if the Royals are in town I'll bet you could get tickets pretty easily. they have one of the prettiest ballparks in the country.

BKB

Niner
06-25-2013, 09:01 AM
Here's a couple of places to get some idears....

http://www.frommers.com/destinations/kansascity/0190010001.html
http://www.frommers.com/micro/2011/top-destinations-2012/kansas-city-missouri.html