PDA

View Full Version : Plott hound

johnboy
06-25-2013, 05:51 PM
My neighbour picked up a young rescue dog from the SPCA a while back and I couldn't quite figure out what breed he was. I knew he was a hound or had a lot of hound in him but wasn't really sure what. Anyway, they took him to a trainer the other day cause he's a pain in the butt and she said he was a Plott hound, maybe with a little something else. Looked up a few pics on line and sure enough, that's him.

http://www.google.ca/search?q=plott+hound+pictures&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=_g_KUauuDqTHiwLvrIHIBw&ved=0CCoQsAQ&biw=1024&bih=630

Supposed to be from down south so maybe some of you are familiar with the breed. Beautiful dog but I think they may have got more than they bargained for since they don't hunt and are not able to really exercise him.

BarryBobPosthole
06-25-2013, 06:29 PM
Sez they're the North Carolina state dog. In that case, he just needs some cherry juice ever so often to keep him calm.
BKB

johnboy
06-25-2013, 06:45 PM
Maybe they should pack him up and send him down to the Captain. Supposed to be great hog dogs. My suggestion to calm him down was to get him on the beach at low tide and run the legs off him till he's too tired to be a nuisance.

Captain
06-25-2013, 07:08 PM
If you plan on running the legs off a Plott hound, I want to be there to hide and watch.... Them things are the best bear and hog dog in this country. They don't quit!
Take Care, Captain

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

HideHunter
06-25-2013, 08:03 PM
I agree w/ Cap'n. Had a friend who raised them for years. Most of them went north for bear dogs. Tougher than tough! Strangely enough, I've only seen a couple that made decent coon dogs.

Big Muddy
06-25-2013, 10:40 PM
I've only seen a couple that made decent coon dogs.

Me either, Hide....but, the one I DID see was a stone-cold coon hunting machine....think it was back in '93 or '94....local guy bought and hunted the dog for only one year.

Word got around, and he was offered about 10 times what he paid....never saw that dog or any other Plott since then.

HideHunter
06-26-2013, 10:25 AM
Another friend of mine hunted lot of competitions and was bound and determined he was going to have a good Plott coonhound. He raised and trained several, all mediocre at best. I think those all ended up being pretty fair bear dogs. He finally spent *big* bucks for a about a two year old that showed good promise. He finally did finish it into a Night Champion. I had two open-tick English at the time (both just good country coon dogs) and I wouldn't have traded either of them for him - even with boot. ;) But - the had his Plott. Interestingly enough, his next two dogs (his last) were Walkers. ;)