PDA

View Full Version : Sad Day Today

BarryBobPosthole
06-26-2013, 07:34 AM
Lost another uncle and my son and I go down to the old home place to be pall bearers and to pay our respects. I always looked up to uncle Ernest and he has always been good to me and my family. I'm sad to see this generation slipping away.
BKB

Ernest F. Bruton, Sr. (Sgt. Maj, Ret), 91 of Benton, died June 23, 2013 at Saline Memorial Hospital. He was born on May 7, 1922 in Scott County, Arkansas to Maude Sims and Columbus Bruton. He was the grandson of Susan and Dr. C.C. Bruton. He loved the outdoors and there is no place in the world he loved more than his home place in the Ouachita Mountains in Scott County. He was a WWII veteran and had a long career with the Arkansas National Guard. Ernest was loved and respected by all who knew him and will be missed. In addition to his parents and grandparents, he is preceded by his son, Ernie Bruton, Jr.; sister, Lois Holleman and brother, C.L. Bruton. Survived by his loving daughters, Glenda Hale (Jimmy) and Jeanette Bruton; grandchildren, Michael Hale (Amber), Teresa Dempsey, Traci Brown, Misty Dempsey, and Ernie Bruton, III.; great grandchildren. He is also survived by the mother of his children, Ruby Evans (Charles); brothers, Basil Bruton and Noyce Bruton; nephews, Ronald Bruton, Barry Bruton; niece, Sherry Holleman Cottrell and a host of family and friends who all loved him and will miss him dearly. Graveside 11:00 a.m. June 26, at Buffalo Cemetery, Boles, Arkansas by Rev. Pat Ray Biggs. Arrangements provided by Dial and Dudley Funeral Home in Bryant. To sign online guestbook visit www.dialanddudleyfuneralhome.com. The family would like to give a special thanks to Four Seasons Residential Care, in Benton, Arkansas and Executive Director, Kim Moseley and the staff for taking good care of our dad for the past four years. In lieu of flowers donation may be made to Boles Freewill Baptist Church.

Big Muddy
06-26-2013, 08:28 AM
Uncles can be some of the best friends to youngsters....MS prayers sent you and family, Barry.

Fido
06-26-2013, 08:28 AM
Sorry for your loss Barry. By the obit sounds like he led a full and beautiful life and was well liked by all who knew him. i have an uncle 93 that was in WWII, he was a first sergeant in the European theatre.

Buckrub
06-26-2013, 08:51 AM
Bunch of y'all Brutons. Sounds like good folks. I still remember your Dad.

Condolences to all.

It's quite a haul from Benton to Boles......and from Tulsa, that's one big old circle.........you'll be plumb worn out tonight.

Chicken Dinner
06-26-2013, 09:14 AM
Sorry to hear if your loss Barry.

DeputyDog
06-26-2013, 10:11 AM
Sorry for your loss. I've got one Uncle left that is a WWII veteran. I want to get him to talk a little bit about his experiences and unit and stuff while he still can so that it isn't lost forever. So many of them won't talk about what they did or where they were. I've only learned that he fought in both New Guinea and the Phillipines and I know that he was in the guard prior to the war starting so that fits.

Thumper
06-26-2013, 10:25 AM
My favorite uncle growing up was a WWII vet. He was disabled (from the war) and I spent every weekend with him as a kid. We were so close, he actually asked my mom if he could adopt me (seriously, as in legally adopt me). He passed away in the late 70's and I still miss him.

Sorry for your loss.

HideHunter
06-26-2013, 10:37 AM
and from the Iowa contingent..

Sunshine
06-26-2013, 10:43 AM
Sorry for your loss!!

Prayers going out for all of you.

Nothing worse then loosing a loved one.

Just remember its not forever.

I truly believe we will be together, with loved ones, after death.

I say this, because I have been with someone when he took their last breath.

A few minutes, before it happened, the person was unconscious.
I was holding his hand and he sat straight up in the bed! Scared the crap out of me.
Then he reached his arms out and up to heaven.

His eyes were open and he had a wonderful smile on his face and his eyes twinkled.

He said:" Look at all the people!"

Laid back down and died.

I said to his wife: "Wouldn't it be wonderful to see what he is seeing?"

So no one will ever make me believe there is not something wonderful, coming after death, if you've been a good person!!!!

I can also tell you, as I sat beside his bed, I kept getting a feeling someone was standing behind me.

Kept turning around to see who was there and nothing.
I'm figuring now, it was an Angel coming to get him.

Your uncle is at peace and you can be happy not sad!!
You two will see each other again!!!

Not a goodbye, but a see ya again!!!

LW
06-26-2013, 10:55 AM
Thats tough. Sorry for your loss.

Captain
06-26-2013, 12:32 PM
Condolence Posthole, they were a GREAT generation. Folks today would not be willing to endure the hardships they did..
Take Care, Captain

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Niner
06-26-2013, 12:57 PM
Sorry to hear about this man. Sounds like he was a great man.

BarryBobPosthole
06-26-2013, 07:42 PM
Thanks, y'all. It was a good service as those things go and it was good to see all the Brutons and other kinfolk down there. I'm related to everyone in Scott County and it was good to get to visit. My son Dan drove in from Yukon, OK and did me proud as a pall bearer.

BKB

Buckrub
06-26-2013, 07:49 PM
Hope they all ain't like you. I imagine someone berated yore hair. They needed to if'n they didn't.

:)

Seriously, my deepest condolences. I have many yet to go through. Big families are a blessing and a curse.......mostly blessing.

yellowk9
06-27-2013, 09:39 AM
I think the "greatest generation" was a product of their circumstances. Given the right circumstances, I think there will be other "great generations". I'm sure the old folks in the 1920's thought their children had lost their minds. Those same children (and their children) then became the "greatest generation". There are still a lot of good people out there that would stand up when needed. The 24 hour news cycle, internet, etc., just seems to put a magnifying glass on the scum of our world. The good is still there, you just aren't paying attention to it. That being said, I bitch about my own generation and the next one as much as anybody :banghead

Condolence Posthole, they were a GREAT generation. Folks today would not be willing to endure the hardships they did..
Take Care, Captain

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

BarryBobPosthole
06-27-2013, 09:55 AM
They had their flaws just like everyone does and they did some things in a way that I think, and always have thought, were wrong. The ways they hunted is one, but I don't need to get into that. I had five uncles on my Mom's side and three on my Dad's side, all from a little town of 500 or so people. All eight of them served in the military as did my Dad; five of them served in WWI, four of them in Korea, and one in Viet Nam as well as Korea. It was just what was expected of them and every one of them just went and did it. There's been a tradition of service in the family that was started by that generation but it was never to that extent in any generation before or since. That's just one of the reasons I think they were the greatest generation. And leaving your home is a bigger deal than most people might think, especially when there are serious responsibilities at home like family farms and so forth. My own generation probably should be called the Luckiest Generation because we were direct beneficiaries of what they did for us because they also laid the foundation for the way we are able to live today.

anyway, enough of that. I am sad to see them all going like I originally said and I'm probably a bit more sentimental about it this week than normal.

BKB

Chicken Dinner
06-27-2013, 10:05 AM
You make an interesting point about the "Luckiest Generation". For me my grandparents were the WWII generation and when I think about the lives they led compared to mine I'm almost dumbfounded. My paternal grandfather had an 8th grade education and worked his way up to being a ship's captain. My paternal grandmother lost her father in the Spanish influenze and her mother eventually had to put her and her sisters in the Methodist Home when she couldn't afford to care for them. My maternal grandmother died in childbirth of something that's fairly routine today. Through it all they just kept on keeping on.

FooBang
06-27-2013, 08:14 PM
Thinking of you and your family today, BBP. My condolences...

LJ3
06-27-2013, 08:20 PM
Sorry I missed this Buddy. Uncles sure have a hand in shaping who we are. At least the good ones do.

Bwana
07-02-2013, 07:45 AM
Sorry for your loss BBP.