PDA

View Full Version : Madien Voyage of the travel trailer

Buckrub
06-26-2013, 04:24 PM
I guess, like Gus, I need to name this thing. Hmmmm. She's a she, I know that. Gertrude comes to mind.

Oh well.

Had a blast. Six folks (me, wife, daughter, 3 grandkids), and we all slept just fine. Comfy. Ate like kings, swam, made s'mores, played washer toss, and just sat. I am going to like being an old fart camper guy.

Only problem is the dang reefer unit.
This is truly an "entry level" unit!!! There are no electronic controls for freezer or refrig. Just some kind of sliding plastic thingy that magically changes temperature, but only slightly! (Who thinks these things up, monkeys?)

I set it up a week ahead of time, and the first problem was the refrig temp got down to about 20F. Brr.

I slid that thing all around, moved it to different coils, you name it. It finally got up to 37. HOWEVER, when the refrig goes to 37, the freezer goes to about 28, not enough to make ice in less than a decade.

Then when we loaded it for the trip (a whopping 40 miles), and let it run on LP on the way there, it was 57F when we got there! I finally moved the slider thingy to the first coil, max cold, and it started to slowly chill. Overnight, it got down to 31F in refrig and 14F in freezer. Refrig was pretty loaded for 6 people, won't be that way often with just me and wife. (BTW, what's a "DH"? I hope it ain't double header.....wife won't let me try that!!! )

It never did do right the entire trip.

I have a dorm refrig in my shop that my daughter used in college. Still works like a champ. If I had floor space, I'd just take that, but I hate having to do that.

Everything else worked great. Pickup pulls it, but we were not in any real hills to speak of, just a few decent grades that it kicked down two gears. 65 mph is max, and 40 is danged normal. I'm now "that guy" that everyone cusses cause they have to pass him! I could use a good 3/4 ton pickup with bigger towing capacity. I could also use a new head, and I doubt I get either anytime soon.

oh, here's a pic of the Bunsen Burner in use cooking bacon for breakfast. Did the pancakes inside, but cooked the bacon on this baby. Did great.
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk131/Buck7088/Bacon_zpsf8aaf7a6.jpeg (http://s279.photobucket.com/user/Buck7088/media/Bacon_zpsf8aaf7a6.jpeg.html)

The only thing is that this baby doesn't get enough gas to make a BIG flame like it used to. It's a simple deal, just a hole in the metal and you just open the LP tank more to get more flame. It never got real high.............bacon did great, but I'd never be able to cook fish on it. I guess I need to find a fine wire and take the hose off and ream out the hole more................

Buckrub
06-26-2013, 04:29 PM
P.S.
We had "Cousin Eddie" and his entire family across from us. I have no idea how they got there. Travel trailer, three boat trailers, a pull behind fiberglass storage unit, only one pickup truck, five small kids with fifty elebben toys each (including cap guns and motorized cars). They had no water on their side of street, so when our next door neighbors left, they 'stole' the water from their site with a 100' hose. I didn't mind, but it was sort of humorous. I think they are pros at this stuff, but they 'spread out' all over heck and gone.

I 'spect there's a Cousin Eddie at every campgrounds, somehow.

The rest of the folks were the nicest folks I've ever met. Helpful, cheerful, talkative, friendly...........this is a heck of a way of life for old folks like me (65 yesterday). But there ARE a few that make me sort of chuckle.

BarryBobPosthole
06-26-2013, 07:39 PM
Trudy is an awesome name for a big unit like that. Gertrude is too formal.

You'll get used to the frig or it'll get used to you! Patience.

You live in the state with the prettiest campgrounds in the universe. You're gonna have a blast exploring them.

BKB

Buckrub
06-26-2013, 07:48 PM
I had a boss named Trudy that was a BIOTCH. Nope.

Gotta think on it.

Might come up with an acronym.

And yes we do.

Bwana
07-02-2013, 07:40 AM
Glad to hear most everything turned out well and yes, it can be addicting.