PDA

View Full Version : Don't forget your sunscreen boys and girls...

Chicken Dinner
06-27-2013, 09:08 AM
In retrospect, maybe lathering ourselves with baby oil and laying out on the roof wasn't such a good idea.

BarryBobPosthole
06-27-2013, 09:17 AM
What the heck izzat?
BKB

Niner
06-27-2013, 09:47 AM
OK Hank, what KIND of "oma" did they find???????

Penguin
06-27-2013, 09:51 AM
Good lord Hank, is that your arm!?

Man I hope that is all there was to it. That is one dicey condition and I wish you all the best buddy.

Will

Big Muddy
06-27-2013, 09:54 AM
Day'um, boy, did YOU do that sewing job yourself???

Bucky's fishing line knots look better than that !!! ;););)

(just kiddin'....hope it wasn't serious.)

Chicken Dinner
06-27-2013, 09:55 AM
It's the remnants of a basal cell carcinoma. Not that getting sliced, dice and julienned is fun, but it looks worse than it is. (The last time it was on my left temple and I looked like the loser in an MMA fight.) While it is skin cancer, it's not the real scary stuff like melanoma.

Big Muddy
06-27-2013, 09:57 AM
Whew, that's good news, Chick!!!

Sorta reminds me of that "Knee Vagina" pic of Katie Holmes that somebody posted on the net a few weeks ago:

Thumper
06-27-2013, 10:18 AM
That is one fugly pic! Yeppers, I grew up in Florida before the days of sunblock. We practically lived at the beach. I remember mom would cover us kids in Baby Oil and send us out to sizzle like slabs of bacon in the sun! Heck, shorts and no shoes or shirt was the uniform of the day back then. I've had a few of those basal cell carcinomas removed myowndamnself in the last few years.

This dang thing popped up on the side of my face almost overnight (made shaving a real chore!). Kind'a scared me actually. (like I don't have enough to worry about lately!)

Sunshine
06-27-2013, 10:18 AM
Dang Hank!!!

I had basil cell cut out of my face, several years ago, so know how that goes.

How many cuts till they got it all?

They had to go in three sliced to get all of mine.

Hope you heal fast, with summer and holidays coming.

Chicken Dinner
06-27-2013, 10:58 AM
The one on my temple a couple of years back they had to go at twice as I think they're kind of conservative when working there and don't want to take more than necessary. This one on my arm they got it all the first time, but the Doc went to town on it the first time. I didn't feel a thing and it was kind of cool to watch him going at it.

Sunshine
06-27-2013, 11:49 AM
After my doc got it all, she held a mirror so I could see the area.
I pretty well freaked.

On the right side of my nose, under my eye, she cut a hole big enough to stick my thumb inside of it. It was the diameter of a nickel and it was 1/2 inch deep.

I said how the hell you going to close that up and am I going to looking Frankenstein?

She laughed and said, once it heals, I'll barely see the stitch area.

She put tiny stitches and sure enough you can barely see it.

Speedy recovery. Glad they got it all.

Buckrub
06-27-2013, 11:54 AM
Welcome to being a "Northern European Caucasian". I have more of that crap than you can shake a stick at. Boils, warts, tags, splotches, rashes, MORE rashes, carcinomas, all those other words..... My dermatologist uses a series of ninja swords, and has a grin the whole time.

Seriously, hope that works out. That looks pretty bad.

Penguin
06-27-2013, 01:38 PM
Damn Hank, well I hope they got it all. That is a messy thing to deal with and I hope they never have to get out the scalpel and whittle on me!

Will

FooBang
06-27-2013, 08:17 PM
Good thing you had all that extra skin! ;) Seriously, that looks hurty.

BarryBobPosthole
06-28-2013, 12:43 AM
My Mom kicked me out of the house in summer after school was out at daybreak when I was a kid, and I typically didn't get to hang around the house until supper. Sunscreen didn't exist. I'd be brown as a a bean by June. Got burnt (we called it 'blistered') a few times and then would brown over. I am fair so I burn all summer but that didn't make any difference. My Mom said it gave you vitamin D. I went to a dermatologist a few years ago at my wife's insistence beause I still don't use sunscreen. Came away with a clean bill. I'm not saying it won't happen but I think exposure to the sun is a part of our evolution. And if you get it, its less about the sunscreen stuff and more about your prediosition to it. I may get it too, but its not going to stop me from getting putside and I think sunscreenwill eentually be found to be worse for you then the sun. Just My opinion.
BKB

Thumper
06-28-2013, 12:54 AM
I've lost three people close to me from melanoma, one close friend, one first cousin and an uncle. My buddy and cousin were both in their 20's and had your hair color and complexion P-hole. They were both avid boaters/fishermen. They didn't know each other, but I hooked them up after they got sick (buddy was in L.A., cousin in Florida) and they talked regularly for hours at a time. They both passed away within 3 months of each other ... they were both 27 years old and I attended both their funerals. My uncle was older ... much older ... and grew up in Florida. He was big into outdoor sports and was even a sports announcer for a radio station for many years before retirement.

Needless to say ... I'm probably a little bit paranoid and see my dermatologist every six months.

Buckrub
06-28-2013, 11:55 AM
I have lost family to melanoma. The "Northern European" ancestry is a real problem. It will kill you. That's just the facts. It does matter.

Captain
06-28-2013, 12:30 PM
Dang dude that looks BAD!

Who done that sewing? Ray Charles???

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner